JUST AUDIO - uHA-120 headphone amp
Apr 19, 2011 at 3:04 AM Post #32 of 210

Quote:

Did you read about their plan to run TWO AHA-120s (the pure Class A amp that sells for over 600 USD) in balanced mode ? Run those numbers into your wishlist and tell us how scary the uHA-120 looks :)

DAMN YOU!!! I'm thinking of doing it... Then I could run ANY (most any) Headphones anywhere I could trudge the amps.

Apr 19, 2011 at 9:38 AM Post #33 of 210
Justin brought a couple examples to the recent UK meet in London. I'm not aware of any locations in London normally where you can demo them unfortunately. But he's located a ways north of the city:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=154+High+Street,+Huntingdon,+Cambridgeshire+PE29+3TF&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=154+High+St,+Huntingdon,+Cambridgeshire+PE29+3,+United+Kingdom&gl=us&t=h&z=16

You could always email him at justin@justaudio.com, however the site states "Please note that the company offers no on-site facilities for members of the public to visit the premises."

Apr 19, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #34 of 210
Mine arrived this afternoon, Im highly delighted after a quick listen straight out of the box using some B&W P5s listening to The Poems “Young America“ and Roger Waters “Amused to Death“ from a iPod 160GB. As for the size, I have only had a Fiio E7 for comparison, which as most will know is much smaller, Im of the opinion that this amp, although larger, will be fine for mobile use. I will give a more in depth opinion when I have had it a bit longer. 

Apr 19, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #36 of 210
Unfortunately I don't. I live in the US, in the midwest. I just happened to be in the UK for some vacation and was able to attend the UK meet. I demo'd the uHA there, and promptly bought the example from Justin. 

Apr 19, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #37 of 210
Hmmm, I was considering the massively powerful PB2 w/ balanced output and rollable opamps but the sonic impressions seem to be what I'm looking for as well.  A couple of things about the Stepdance that put me off were reports of dry mids and overly analytical signature along with the rounded case.  

Any other impressions of the AHA v. UHA wrt signature comparisons?

Apr 21, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #38 of 210
I'm delighted, makes my iPod sing like never before.

I took out the Serial Number (Not sure why, but there ya go)

Apr 21, 2011 at 1:56 PM Post #39 of 210
Congrats man. Looks great. I'm glad you're enjoying the sound so far. What are the phones you're using? I see a nice braided cable there, connected to the uHA.

Apr 23, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #43 of 210

Quote:
Gah, why can't this be 1/2" thinner?

uHA120_REV_A'''%20PCBWithP11Fitted(CloseScaleWebVer).jpg

You could wear lifts?

Apr 23, 2011 at 7:00 AM Post #45 of 210

Quote:
It looks beautiful.
what amps did you use prior to the uHA-120? and what are your impressions?

Thank you very much.

I had a Fiio E7 for a very short time, I really didn't know that there could be such a pronounced difference between an iPod without amplification and with, the E7 spurred me on to buy the uHA-120 and some Sennheiser IE8s, and there was I, thinking that I would only be spending just over £60 when I bought the E7 lol. How much more mistaken could I be?

I am new to this and find it very difficult to remember how something sounds when switching between one and the other, and also how best to describe those sounds/differences, but I found the uHA-120 to be clearer (cleaner?), different layers of the music previously unheard were discovered and the separation was more pronounced between instruments and artists. As for fit and finish I have nothing really to compare it with, I have not been lucky enough to see or listen to other portable amps in the same price range (or any price range for that matter) but it certainly is well screwed together with a tactile feel, the volume knob turns smoothly, the on indicator light glows a satisfactory yellow and the charging light turns from red to green on completion of charge.

Bottom line is, I was and am really pleased with both amps. I sold the E7 to a friend for just shy of retail after he had the briefest of listens, for the money it is a fabulous device, but once bitten the future purchases it inspires will cost dear.

I find myself sliding slowly down a slippery slope knowing that I can't quite reach the top to stop myself, having said that, I have the feeling that many reading this will be looking up at my descent while nodding knowingly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back