JHA JH16 Pro (Freqphase) vs Rooth LS8
Dec 14, 2012 at 8:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

snappyaxolotl

100+ Head-Fier
[size=10pt]Hello Head-Fi,[/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]Back 1-2 months ago, I was looking for a custom, but eventually, I decided I wasn’t ready for it. After playing around and demo’ing some universals I liked, I think now I’m ready to get into the custom world. I’ve gone to the drawing board, did my research, and narrowed it down to 4 options:[/size]

[size=10pt]-Jerry Harvey Audio JH16 Pro Freqphase[/size]
[size=10pt]-Rooth Labs LS8[/size]
[size=10pt]-Unique Melody Miracle[/size]
[size=10pt]-1964Ears V6 [/size][size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]Here's some info regarding what I'm looking for:

-Usage: These will be my primary headphones for a long tine, so I hope they last a long time. I will be using them on the go, so I don't want them to be too "flashy" or attracting attention. I also want it easily driven by lightweight, portable sources (portable amp is fine). I also use them for performing (I play alto sax). When not on the go I often watch videos, play video games, watch movies, call and conference, and play audio related media on my computer. Sometimes I sleep with them on.

-Song Genres: I listen to pop and DJ (popular songs), rap, electronic (trance, techno, house, synth pop), soundtracks and instrumental, jazz, classical, song remixes and parodies, and rock most often. Majority of my songs are modern (2000 and newer), but I do listen to jazz and classical music and sometimes poorly recorded songs/audio.
[/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]-Bass:[/size][size=10pt] [/size][size=10pt]The majority of the music I listen to is bass inclined, so I enjoy listening to bass that is good quality and a fair amount of quantity, but I do want a bit of mid-bass over low-bass (not too much though).[/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]-Mids:[/size][size=10pt] [/size][size=10pt]As for the mids, vocals and instruments also play a large role in my music selection. I'm looking for smooth, lush, clear, detailed, and imaging mids. I do not want the mids to be laid back or forward but presented more naturally. [/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]-Treble:[/size][size=10pt] [/size][size=10pt]For treble, I like a smooth, crisp, and sparkly presentation with good clarity, but not extended treble to the point it becomes fatiguing or creating treble spikes. The EX1000 is the furthest extent to which I could take treble quantity.[/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]-Presentation:[/size][size=10pt] [/size][size=10pt]I wish for the overall presentation to be clear, detailed, natural, realistic, 3D and imaging, punchy, transparent, balanced, and have a wide soundstage. However, most importantly, I would like it to retain the qualities of an audiophile sound while being musically fun to listen to and to "be true to the recording".[/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]Looking forward to hearing experiences, comparisons, and advice! Thanks in advance to all the replies I receive.[/size]

[size=10pt]EDIT: I took out the 1964Ears V6 because [/size]while this is certainly a good deal, it seems it loses to the rest of the competition, even though it does put up a good fight. However, I've heard mixed reviews of it; some absolutely love it, some wouldn't think it was good, some think it could be good for some but not for most of others. I don't want to take my chances though...

[size=10pt]I also removed the poll because I thought it was subjective and useless.[/size]

[size=10pt]EDIT 2:[/size] [size=10pt]Removed Rooth LS8 due to availability[/size]
[size=10pt]EDIT:[/size] [size=10pt]I contacted Rooth, who said they were able to build a LS8 and ship it to the US.[/size]

[size=10pt]EDIT 3: After some more research, I decided the Miracle wasn't for me and that it might be too boring and neutral (After all I am coming from the IE8s :p).[/size]

[size=10pt]In that case its now between the LS8 and the JH16 Pro Freqphase.[/size]

Dec 15, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #6 of 38
Quote:
If you want bass enhanced, you can likely scratch the miracle. It or the new jh13 would be more my speed but seems you like it a but weightier.

Well, I can tolerate bass if there is a decent amount, which is what the Miracle carries. In the bass department, quality, imaging, and detail are my key words when comparing those two. 

Dec 15, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #7 of 38
Quote:
I am making my own impressions and paying through PayPal; sorry.

Big mistake: I'll look forward to your "hey, my ciems don't fit!" posts on several different threads over the course of a few weeks once you receive them.

Dec 16, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #10 of 38
Every quality CIEM company offers refit, because even with 100% accurate impression there are still subjective choices made by the manufacturers. Like how deep do the bores go, if they make the bores a little thicker to make sure it seals better and won't lose their seal when you open your mouth. And some people might be more sensitive and find particular spots on the mold to be painful... Etc.

The problem here is whether you really want to spend 2 to 3 weeks between every refit, sending impressions back in, waiting for it to come back... And potentially spending months before you can get a good fit.

Of course, there is no guarantee that even with a professional audiologist you'll get a perfect fit the first time, but it does increase the likelihood that you'll have a better chance at it.

Also, not all audiologists are aware of the type of detail that you need to capture for an IEM versus a hearing aid, especially the outer ear region is very important for a CIEM.

Dec 16, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #12 of 38
Quote:
In my opinion , the UM Miracle will suite you
Btw , i just only listen to JH16 normal version , not Freq ver , so i can't tell you about the new JH16 how they sound

This is the problem, its a toss up between the 16 and Miracle, some say 16 is better, some say Miracle. average_joe may be getting a Miracle, so if he does, I am really looking forward to it, as he has all three models (LS8, Miracle, and 16)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back