JH Roxanne with AK 240 special edition for japan market only AKR 03
Jul 30, 2014 at 5:55 AM Post #31 of 53
My balanced cable gets here tmw, will post once I have confirmed it works.  I expect it to be the same as supplied with the AKR03.  Surprised they release it separately from the AKR03 since it was the main selling point or the AKR03 with a 250 usd mark up from the roxanne universals.

Jul 30, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #32 of 53
So now a newer dilemma, Mixwave Japan announced the JH16 but with the Roxanne 4-pin cable :-

Meanwhile the AKR03 I've been eyeing on is still available. Guess I'll be jumping to the Rox vs JH16 threads instead. Rather curious though if JH16s have the variable pots like the Rox. So maybe one could get JH13->JH16s in a single IEM?

Jul 30, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #33 of 53
Don't forget that both version of the cable has settings for the Rox to simulate both the JH13 and JH16.

Jul 30, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #34 of 53
  Don't forget that both version of the cable has settings for the Rox to simulate both the JH13 and JH16.

I don't think so. Talking to Jerry, the settings on the resistores for the Rox are merely to simulate the JH13/JH16 bass portion only, not the whole JH13/16 signature. However for this "new" JH16 with the variable resistor cable though, I wonder if it would be able to simulate the JH13 more holisticly.

Jul 30, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #35 of 53

I don't think so. Talking to Jerry, the settings on the resistores for the Rox are merely to simulate the JH13/JH16 bass portion only, not the whole JH13/16 signature. However for this "new" JH16 with the variable resistor cable though, I wonder if it would be able to simulate the JH13 more holisticly.

Yep, that's why I said simulate and not being equal.

Jul 30, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #36 of 53
How's that gonna work, different numbers of drivers/tuning between JH13/16/roxannes.  Can only imagine the pots are for attenuating bass.  If anything you will only get JH13/16 sound but with a control in reducing bass on each.  Unless they go out and increase the bass on the JH13/16 so that the pot has more range to control.

Jul 31, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #38 of 53

You mean this?  It looks identical to my AKR03 cable.

http://www.earphonesolutions.com/roxanne-balanced-cables.html

@ AnakChan: I think I paid 1750 off ebay for mine.  They shipped out of Singapore.

Just received my balanced cable from earphonesolutions.  I also received my SE clear cable and aluminium tin from JH at the same time.

Looking at the packaging with the cables I see labels with the model numbers?

SE clear cable from JH   JHA024804CLR
Balanced black cable from earphonesolutions   JHA034804BLK

Initial thoughts are both cables come with aluminium nuts, the pots were set differently, JH set them at 1pm, earphonesolutions set them at 8am.

Pleased to note the balanced connector works perfect with the AK240 no matter how I spin it in the jack.  To prevent confusion, I have tried various cables from other companies for my UE18 Pro where the balanced connector would only work in a certain orientation, if it moves to a different direction then the sound would cut out on the right channel.

So far I'm pleased with this balanced cable, no doubt the same as supplied with the AKR03.  For those that were agonizing over whether to buy the AKR03 just for it's balanced cable supplied then no need to anymore.  Roxanne universals are much cheaper and for those with customs and AK240, what are you waiting for?  Jump and buy those balanced cables :)

I'll update once I get some time to listen to my AK240 in balanced mode.

Jul 31, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #39 of 53

AnakChan, what will be your purchase on the JH?
I find the Rox an JH13/16 sound signature quite different even if the new JH13/16 have attenuating bass port.

Cheers for asking. Maybe I need to demo them again 'cos when I did, I thought I felt the JH13/16s to sound similar except for the bass portion being different. As such was "hoping" the variable pot would be able to tune the new JH16 to sound close to or "like" the JH13.

@kantana, I was referring to resulting sound rather than construction.

Just received my balanced cable from earphonesolutions.  I also received my SE clear cable and aluminium tin from JH at the same time.

Initial thoughts are both cables come with aluminium nuts, the pots were set differently, JH set them at 1pm, earphonesolutions set them at 8am.

Pleased to note the balanced connector works perfect with the AK240 no matter how I spin it in the jack.  To prevent confusion, I have tried various cables from other companies for my UE18 Pro where the balanced connector would only work in a certain orientation, if it moves to a different direction then the sound would cut out on the right channel.

So far I'm pleased with this balanced cable, no doubt the same as supplied with the AKR03.  For those that were agonizing over whether to buy the AKR03 just for it's balanced cable supplied then no need to anymore.  Roxanne universals are much cheaper and for those with customs and AK240, what are you waiting for?  Jump and buy those balanced cables :)

Any chance you can access a pair of AKR03s to conclusively compare the UniRox balanced with the AKR03?

Jul 31, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #40 of 53

Cheers for asking. Maybe I need to demo them again 'cos when I did, I thought I felt the JH13/16s to sound similar except for the bass portion being different. As such was "hoping" the variable pot would be able to tune the new JH16 to sound close to or "like" the JH13.

@kantana, I was referring to resulting sound rather than construction.

Any chance you can access a pair of AKR03s to conclusively compare the UniRox balanced with the AKR03?

My Roxannes are customs, I initially auditioned the universals and the AKR03 but couldn't get a decent seal on them so the sound was lacking on both.  When I was auditioning them, uni SE and AKR03 balanced I noted differences but that could have been due to the lack of a decent fit.  However what I noted was the universals had better voices and the AKR03 had better instruments.  Now with my roxanne customs I noticed a huge difference immediately compared to the uni or AKR03 in the staging being more akin to headphones, I never got that with either universals or AKR03.
Most shops here wouldn't welcome me switching cables on the universal roxannes even if I was to use my own cables, they are nervous about the plastic nuts breaking or something.  I'm listening on my custom roxannes with the balanced cable now and I noticed clearer instruments than SE with wider presentation, eg Dire Straits - Your Latest trick, the trumpet and the saxophone sound much more like my HD800 in texture and staging, the guitar really thrums.

Aug 1, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #41 of 53

thx for ur review.
Thats nice to have 2.5mm balanced cable individually, 
can't wait to grap it next week.

but i am still waiting for my roxanne CM.

Sep 9, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #42 of 53
  No, I couldn't get a proper fit with any of the tips.  Between the size of the earphones and the weight of the wire they kept falling out when I moved.  I auditioned them for about an hour.  Felt more bass and forward mids compared to universal Roxannes.  Balanced cable had improved staging.

Does it worth the higher price tag ? I saw the AKR03 from $1800 to $2000 on Ebay

Sep 9, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #43 of 53
Ebay is the worst place to buy expensive gear....always too expensive... And probably they dont have it in stock because it is sold out at most stores

Enviado de meu LG-D855 usando Tapatalk

Sep 10, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #44 of 53
So now a newer dilemma, Mixwave Japan announced the JH16 but with the Roxanne 4-pin cable :-

Meanwhile the AKR03 I've been eyeing on is still available. Guess I'll be jumping to the Rox vs JH16 threads instead. Rather curious though if JH16s have the variable pots like the Rox. So maybe one could get JH13->JH16s in a single IEM?

Thank you Sean for the information
I was surprised now they use the same cable for JH 16 FP too :D

Sep 10, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #45 of 53
My Roxannes are customs, I initially auditioned the universals and the AKR03 but couldn't get a decent seal on them so the sound was lacking on both.  When I was auditioning them, uni SE and AKR03 balanced I noted differences but that could have been due to the lack of a decent fit.  However what I noted was the universals had better voices and the AKR03 had better instruments.  Now with my roxanne customs I noticed a huge difference immediately compared to the uni or AKR03 in the staging being more akin to headphones, I never got that with either universals or AKR03.
Most shops here wouldn't welcome me switching cables on the universal roxannes even if I was to use my own cables, they are nervous about the plastic nuts breaking or something.  I'm listening on my custom roxannes with the balanced cable now and I noticed clearer instruments than SE with wider presentation, eg Dire Straits - Your Latest trick, the trumpet and the saxophone sound much more like my HD800 in texture and staging, the guitar really thrums.

I am agree with your impression about JH Roxanne custom vs universal or AKR 03 have different SQ
I have compared to my owned JH Roxanne universal and to AKR 03.

The SQ different between JH Roxanne universal vs AKR 03

JH Roxanne universal is brighter
JH Roxanne AKR 03 is darker like the custome
The different is not only on the balance cable , they tune different , it is special tuning for ak 240

Users who are viewing this thread

Back