JH Audio Layla and Angie - Head-Fi TV
Mar 23, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #1,126 of 1,931
Haha I understand most would have high expectations of the Angie. It's definitely not bad. In fact it's good! But the 846 with its currently pricing lower than the Angie poses a good challenge and a good fight. One thing for sure is that Angie is seriously huge! :scream:

Funny, the Angie is $70 cheaper than the 846 for me right now. Also can get them no tax and free shipping!

I like bass when the music calls for it, and am very interested in Shure's implementation. I also love detail and treble extension which is what I'm looking for in the Angie. I wonder if the adjustable bass in the Angie can keep up (or get close) to the Shure, or on the other hand if the adjustable treble filter on the Shure (with stock cable) can get near the Angie's apparent reference sound.

I'm leaning toward the Angie as I'm looking for an IEM to compliment my LCD-XC as I just love the speed and texture of that headphone, but things like the size of the Angie and the fact that I'm oh so tempted by 'subwoofer' bass from the Shures have me weighing the differences. I'd just hate to lose out on any extension in the 846........ Decisions decisions.

Thanks for keeping us updated. :)

Mar 23, 2015 at 4:36 AM Post #1,127 of 1,931
I wonder if the adjustable bass in the Angie can keep up (or get close) to the Shure, or on the other hand if the adjustable treble filter on the Shure (with stock cable) can get near the Angie's apparent reference sound. (...)

With bass set up at 3 or 4 o'clock it hard to imagine it would be not enough for anyone. Angie's got the thumpin' bass if you want it - great balance all over. I've been listening to se846 a while ago but i remember the treble area wasn't enough for me. Not having that issue with Angie.

Mar 23, 2015 at 5:01 AM Post #1,128 of 1,931
With bass set up at 3 or 4 o'clock it hard to imagine it would be not enough for anyone. Angie's got the thumpin' bass if you want it - great balance all over. I've been listening to se846 a while ago but i remember the treble area wasn't enough for me. Not having that issue with Angie.

Aaaaaand that's what I'd like to hear. Thank you very much. Good bass texture as well I'm guessing? What good is a thump without the texture, eh?

Mar 23, 2015 at 5:19 AM Post #1,129 of 1,931
Funny, the Angie is $70 cheaper than the 846 for me right now. Also can get them no tax and free shipping!

I like bass when the music calls for it, and am very interested in Shure's implementation. I also love detail and treble extension which is what I'm looking for in the Angie. I wonder if the adjustable bass in the Angie can keep up (or get close) to the Shure, or on the other hand if the adjustable treble filter on the Shure (with stock cable) can get near the Angie's apparent reference sound.

I'm leaning toward the Angie as I'm looking for an IEM to compliment my LCD-XC as I just love the speed and texture of that headphone, but things like the size of the Angie and the fact that I'm oh so tempted by 'subwoofer' bass from the Shures have me weighing the differences. I'd just hate to lose out on any extension in the 846........ Decisions decisions.

Thanks for keeping us updated. :)

Hmm seems weird. Where I'm based in Singapore the SE846 retails near S$999 and Angie at S$1499. So the difference is S$500 which is quite a margin.

Comparing treble extension, I do hear better and smoother extension on Angie. It's more effortlessly presented with great transition and coherence. But simply for treble extension wise I still feel that the W60 takes the lead. For 846 I'm using mine with silver cable and white filters so that does probably helped in improving the highs slightly.

Bass wise, at full dial on Angie, it probably comes close to 846 but still falling short. With stock cable and balanced filter on 846, the lows are more apparent, deeper and has a greater thump then Angie. Bass texture wise I would give the upper hand to 846 again. The rumbling and reverberance bass impact found on 846 is simply so addictive.

Mar 23, 2015 at 5:25 AM Post #1,130 of 1,931
Hmm seems weird. Where I'm based in Singapore the SE846 retails near S$999 and Angie at S$1499. So the difference is S$500 which is quite a margin.

Comparing treble extension, I do hear better and smoother extension on Angie. It's more effortlessly presented with great transition and coherence. But simply for treble extension wise I still feel that the W60 takes the lead. For 846 I'm using mine with silver cable and white filters so that does probably helped in improving the highs slightly.

Bass wise, at full dial on Angie, it probably comes close to 846 but still falling short. With stock cable and balanced filter on 846, the lows are more apparent, deeper and has a greater thump then Angie. Bass texture wise I would give the upper hand to 846 again. The rumbling and reverberance bass impact found on 846 is simply so addictive.

Interesting feedback/impressions - thank you.  I'm excited to very soon audition the Angie and compare it to the SE846.  I'll be comparing the Layla as to the SE846 as well, but I'll more than likely A/B the Layla with the Legend R more.

Mar 23, 2015 at 5:52 AM Post #1,131 of 1,931
Great feedback guys! Bass can be like an addiction, but I try to keep it as balanced throughout the frequency range as possible. Then again the song Angie is about addiction.......... Hmmmmmmm. That's it, I'll just have to drag my sorry butt to the store and audition them both now. Time to take a trip. :D

Mar 23, 2015 at 5:56 AM Post #1,132 of 1,931

Hey, it's Canada, lots of weird market things going on here right now. :wink:

846 is $1269 and Angie is $1199.

Mar 23, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #1,134 of 1,931
My mail-order bride Angie came into the mail about two minutes ago...

I have to rush out the door to get to work but to answer the question about size/fit, it's slightly larger than the JH16s (mostly on the upper-ear region) and it's a tiny bit wider horizontally.

In-ear photos and impressions to follow...

Mar 23, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #1,135 of 1,931

Exactly. imo JH's bass (Angie in that case) is another level compered to shure's or ie800's for example.

Which Shure model(s) are you referring to?

Mar 23, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #1,138 of 1,931
My mail-order bride Angie came into the mail about two minutes ago...

I have to rush out the door to get to work but to answer the question about size/fit, it's slightly larger than the JH16s (mostly on the upper-ear region) and it's a tiny bit wider horizontally.

In-ear photos and impressions to follow...

How long was the waiting period, are you a musician?

Mar 23, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #1,139 of 1,931
Saw an interesting post JH Audio is suing 1964 Ears for patent infringement for using dual drivers in the V8.

That is interesting. Curious how that's going to work out. 

Mar 23, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #1,140 of 1,931

Users who are viewing this thread

Back