JH Audio Layla and Angie - Head-Fi TV
Aug 23, 2016 at 2:37 AM Post #1,922 of 1,931
eargasam, wrote the above, not myself (it currently looks like he quoted me).

I will write/video a comparison at some point in the future.

I will say though that I do not prefer one over the other. Both are amazing in each other's respective facets.

Aug 25, 2016 at 4:29 PM Post #1,923 of 1,931
@eargasam, wrote the above, not myself (it currently looks like he quoted me).

I will write/video a comparison at some point in the future.

I will say though that I do not prefer one over the other. Both are amazing in each other's respective facets.

I'm looking forward to this.

What would you consider their respective qualities to be?

I have heard people say the Layla has a phenomenally neutral sound, would you say this is the key thing for those IEMs to you as well?

Haven't heard much about the Zeus-R... I'm curious about your first hand opinion of them.

Aug 25, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #1,924 of 1,931

I'm looking forward to this.

I have heard people say the Layla has a phenomenally neutral sound, would you say this is the key thing for those IEMs to you as well?

Haven't heard much about the Zeus-R... I'm curious about your first hand opinion of them.

Welcome to Head-Fi!

I do not want to over-simplify explaining their qualities, but the Layla excels in soundstage and a wholly natural sound, and the Zeus-Remastered excels in an invigorating sound, especially in the upper midrange and treble.  If you are seeking moar bass but still are searching for an amazing sounding signature, you can either turn the bass pot of the Layla to 4pm (max) or purchase the Empire Ears Savage lineup (my favorite is their 9-driver - contact @Jack Vang for full details).

I would not call the Layla or the Zeus-Remastered neutral - I would call the Layla more of a natural/reference sound, and the Zeus-Remastered having a sweeter/more vibrant take on a reference sound signature.

So far, so great!  The Zeus-Remastered a supremely blissful CIEM at its price point, and the Layla is currently my favorite CIEM at its price point.

I will have more thoughts in the future in my written and video reviews, if anyone is interested to read and/or view them.

Aug 25, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #1,925 of 1,931

Welcome to Head-Fi!

I do not want to over-simplify explaining their qualities, but the Layla excels in soundstage and a wholly natural sound, and the Zeus-Remastered excels in an invigorating sound, especially in the upper midrange and treble.  If you are seeking moar bass but still are searching for an amazing sounding signature, you can either turn the bass pot of the Layla to 4pm (max) or purchase the Empire Ears Savage lineup (my favorite is their 9-driver - contact @Jack Vang for full details).

I would not call the Layla or the Zeus-Remastered neutral - I would call the Layla more of a natural/reference sound, and the Zeus-Remastered having a sweeter/more vibrant take on a reference sound signature.

So far, so great!  The Zeus-Remastered a supremely blissful CIEM at its price point, and the Layla is currently my favorite CIEM at its price point.

I will have more thoughts in the future in my written and video reviews, if anyone is interested to read and/or view them.

Good first thoughts! Would love to hear how your Andromeda compares as well in initial thoughts..

Aug 25, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #1,926 of 1,931

Good first thoughts! Would love to hear how your Andromeda compares as well in initial thoughts..

The Andromeda is simply a different beast to my ears, especially for the price.  Soundstage comparable to the Layla, but with the upper mid/treble sweetness (with more vibrancy) than the Zeus-Remastered.

One of my favorite IEMs for sure; fit...not so much...but I'm working on that...be on the lookout!

Nov 23, 2016 at 12:53 AM Post #1,927 of 1,931
Can anyone compare Layla/Angie to Campfire Audio's flagship Vega?

Jan 6, 2020 at 9:47 PM Post #1,929 of 1,931
I finally got around to auditioning them. Though I need more gear like I need a hole in the head, let alone the wallet carnage, I asked to buy them on the spot, which I couldn't as they are out of stock and well into back-order, so I have a loaner until I can buy a pair. [..] They can join the Ethers in the "just want to listen and forget the rest" list of headphones.

Bingo.

Sep 30, 2022 at 9:40 PM Post #1,931 of 1,931
Hey Sub! Hopefully I was helpful in your info digging process. And yeah, I've worn mine around to a couple of stores and nobody looks twice. To them it's just a weird Bluetooth device.

Give them a full week at least to let them win you over before making any final opinions. Sometimes they can give very bad first impressions but once you get to know them they have one of the best personalities you will ever know.

On a side note, I thought I'd share some tip pics. I absolutely love these triple flanges. I got em from Amazon: http://amzn.com/B008NOHPO4

I use an Oring on the right side because it needs to be very slightly deeper and the Oring is a good spacer for a consistent depth.

Largest flange cut off:

I've written some on these tips vs stock tips and even comply tips. I prefer these because they tend to tame down some of the weirdness that IEM's have on my ears. It gives them a more natural sound to my ears. Soundstage is a good step further back with these TF's, sibilance is tamed just a notch without losing any frequency response and resolution is just a notch higher especially in the lower freq range. Your results may vary but to my ears I always go back to these even on my SE215's and on my 846's when I had them. I used a Westone foam tip with foam removed as an adapter so I could use these larger tips with them.
Hi, just wondering what is the bore size (inside diameter of the hole) on the double and triple flange tips? Your link doesn't work anymore, do you know where you can get more of this exact tip? My guesstimate is that its over 4mm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back