JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Oct 11, 2009 at 1:57 PM Post #4,891 of 10,745
OK, so I think I'm going to be nuts! I received my second re-fit and they're still not right! It looks like the cable placement is causing the problem. So I took off the cable to see if it made a difference. It definitely helps. But, to add insult to injury, when I was removing the right monitor, it slipped out of my hand onto the floor and cracked in two places! So after two months I have almost no listening time on these things and now will have to send them in for a third time and may have to pay for the repair since I dropped them!

Oct 11, 2009 at 2:01 PM Post #4,892 of 10,745
Quote:

Originally Posted by wsilvio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But, to add insult to injury, when I was removing the right monitor, it slipped out of my hand onto the floor and cracked in two places!

Aww snap! It's not fun
confused_face.gif

Oct 11, 2009 at 2:07 PM Post #4,893 of 10,745
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aww snap! It's not fun
confused_face.gif

I'm not sure how JH Audio will deal with that one. If they have to remold them then I guess no harm nor foul, but if not they may charge me for the repair.

As far as the fit, I think I may have to send in my Sensaphonics and have them scanned since they fit well.

Oct 11, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #4,895 of 10,745
The crack is on the faceplate. I think it is thinner there than the stems etc.. If I had the cable attached, I don't think it would have happened!

Oct 11, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #4,896 of 10,745
Another kind of accident happened to me before.

I was walking and talking to my friend facing her and then a tall guy just walk in front of me in a very fast speed and bump hard into me with my iem hanging in front of my chest. Physical Pain! The next moment I see a dramatic bend on my customs wire plug pins! Heart pain! The pins can be seen and I was so shocked. Luckily I am able to bend the pins back straight using the ports on the customs. Whew. Listening to it I found no hearable damages. And the port is still as tight as before. And there were no cracks.

What a nightmare! Now I will keep it carefully in UE case when walking but not listening. no more hanging over shoulder for me anymore. It seems tough... hmm...

Oct 11, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #4,897 of 10,745
Don't they have guarantee? After all they are >$1K IEMs

Oct 11, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #4,898 of 10,745
Quote:

OK, so I think I'm going to be nuts! I received my second re-fit and they're still not right! It looks like the cable placement is causing the problem. So I took off the cable to see if it made a difference. It definitely helps. But, to add insult to injury, when I was removing the right monitor, it slipped out of my hand onto the floor and cracked in two places! So after two months I have almost no listening time on these things and now will have to send them in for a third time and may have to pay for the repair since I dropped them!

Man, sorry to hear about this! I'm sure everything will work out in the end, though.

I ordered mine on Tuesday last week and am waiting and as I'm waiting for them to arrive, I'm worrying about whether they're going to fit right.

Do you think anything went wrong at the audiologist's? What's been wrong with the fit? Do they fall out? Are they too tight?

Also, when you get a refit, do you have to get another impression and send it to JH? Or do you just describe the fit problem and they kinda wing it?

Oct 11, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #4,899 of 10,745
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happybottle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man, sorry to hear about this! I'm sure everything will work out in the end, though.

I ordered mine on Tuesday last week and am waiting and as I'm waiting for them to arrive, I'm worrying about whether they're going to fit right.

Do you think anything went wrong at the audiologist's? What's been wrong with the fit? Do they fall out? Are they too tight?

Also, when you get a refit, do you have to get another impression and send it to JH? Or do you just describe the fit problem and they kinda wing it?

You don't have to send another impression to them. However, I sent a new impression because my initial re-fit wasn't very good. I have sent back my monitor for the second time and waiting for them to get here. Hope it works out this time
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 11, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #4,900 of 10,745
Quote:

Originally Posted by hifidk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You don't have to send another impression to them. However, I sent a new impression because my initial re-fit wasn't very good. I have sent back my monitor for the second time and waiting for them to get here. Hope it works out this time
smily_headphones1.gif

Roughly how long does it take JH to send them back if you do need a refit?

Oct 11, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #4,901 of 10,745
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happybottle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Roughly how long does it take JH to send them back if you do need a refit?

In my extensive experience, around 10 days.

Oct 11, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #4,902 of 10,745
I got my pair (#1750), and they look great and fit excellent. There is no change in sound or seal no matter how wide I open my jaws or if I push against them into my ears.

I noticed these are less bassier than I was expecting. Comparatively my Grado HF2 (the only other headphone I have, with about 200 hours of burn-in) have much more midbass. The bass on the JH13 seems to be more visceral and reach deeper. Does this sound about correct to you guys? I know many JH13 owners also own the HF2. I actually find myself sometimes reaching for the HF2 when I want to have a fun time with oodles of midbass and a bit of the Grado character. I guess I'll probably keep them both.

Also, does anyone else's Otterbox close a bit unconvincingly? Mine doesn't seem to want to close when the hinge reaches about a 10 degree angle, though I can force it shut just fine. I don't know if this is just part of the Otterbox design.

And they look beautiful (I ordered navy blue in transparent with black cables). I noticed the cable management piece shown in the manual seems to be circular, but mine is instead a small, clear tube of plastic. Not sure how much of a big deal that is.

Oct 11, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #4,905 of 10,745
Quote:

Ouch. That sucks.

I think I might never upgrade my flooring to hardwood or tile ever now. Carpeted floors FTW!

Or at least a large, thick rug in the headphone listening area.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back