JH Audio & Astell&Kern Siren Series Full Metal Jacket Line Announced!
Jun 15, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #601 of 692
  @Jazic, see below for my notes from my Rosie vs Angie v1 audition. 

I decided to return the Rosie's and grab some Angie V2's. I remember the Angie's being clearer than the Rosie's yet still had roughly the same thickness as what the Rosie has yet I never had a single problem with the highs on the Angie. They were very airy and clear. Cymbals were clear and defined. On the Rosie they are more laid back and not as clear and sometimes get lost in the mix. 

Hopefully the Angie's will still be as good as I remember them being. I do remember they were the only IEM's I'd seriously consider making customs. Last customs I had were the UE11's back when they first came out. 

I listen to a lot of metal and just got into trance and electronic music so cymbals, mid guitar crunch and sub bass slams are important to me.. I'm not a treble head but I cannot stand a squished high end that isn't very coherent. 

EDIT:
My biggest complaint about the Angie's v1 was that even tho they were extremely comfortable they were just too large compared to other IEM's. Now that their shape and size have shrunken considerably, I figure I'll give it another go. Their sound was always awesome even though they were overly thick sometimes, luckily the bass pod helps with that depending on how my ears are behaving. I tend to stick around 50% and I only go over if it's loud around me and it's sucking up some bass presence. 

Being their size is smaller with the Angie v2 being only slightly larger than the Rosie's that would be perfect. A few mm difference isn't a big deal at all.*insert ad-lib penis joke* 

Jun 15, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #602 of 692

I decided to return the Rosie's and grab some Angie V2's. I remember the Angie's being clearer than the Rosie's yet still had roughly the same thickness as what the Rosie has yet I never had a single problem with the highs on the Angie. They were very airy and clear. Cymbals were clear and defined. On the Rosie they are more laid back and not as clear and sometimes get lost in the mix. 

Hopefully the Angie's will still be as good as I remember them being. I do remember they were the only IEM's I'd seriously consider making customs. Last customs I had were the UE11's back when they first came out. 

I listen to a lot of metal and just got into trance and electronic music so cymbals, mid guitar crunch and sub bass slams are important to me.. I'm not a treble head but I cannot stand a squished high end that isn't very coherent. 

EDIT:
My biggest complaint about the Angie's v1 was that even tho they were extremely comfortable they were just too large compared to other IEM's. Now that their shape and size have shrunken considerably, I figure I'll give it another go. Their sound was always awesome even though they were overly thick sometimes, luckily the bass pod helps with that depending on how my ears are behaving. I tend to stick around 50% and I only go over if it's loud around me and it's sucking up some bass presence. 

Being their size is smaller with the Angie v2 being only slightly larger than the Rosie's that would be perfect. A few mm difference isn't a big deal at all.*insert ad-lib penis joke* 

You won't go wrong, man.  I'm still seriously in love with the Angie CIEMs.  They inspired me to get some low-end DAC and amp gear and I'm in audio nirvana with the things.

On a side note, I used to also appreciate a bit of a "flatter" low end in my headphones, although it was definitely on the bass-light side of flat since I found that they'd sound boomy or muddy, generally.  Once I got used to the clarity of the Angie monitors, I turned up the bass... sometimes 2, sometimes 3 o'clock on the dial... rarely even all the way up.  It's just so clear, I don't mind it at all... I don't find that it messes with anything but the bass, and it's still a pretty accurate presentation... probably more so, since on tuned near-field monitors I always find more bass than I'd been used to in headphones.  Now, I keep the Angie pretty close to where I'd hear a full-size speaker setup, maybe a little livelier, and I don't mind it at all.  Give it time, and this IEM might change your preference, too!

Jun 15, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #603 of 692
  I already post them in a lot of places, but why not, I will post in this thread too. 
ksc75smile.gif

Rosie and iDSD Micro;

Should have went with Mojo.

Jun 15, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #604 of 692
  @Jazic, see below for my notes from my Rosie vs Angie v1 audition. After 3hrs (around 90mins for each), I ended up going with the Angies (the fact they were around the same price was a factor). I thought they were both close, but the Angies to be seemed a bit more refined and complete. It's interesting your comment jogged my memory about my notes, as I had noticed some sibilance on a few songs as well with the Rosies, and I preferred the cymbal crash / decay better with the Angies as well (this is one of the areas I listen for a lot, as I think it's one of the few differentiators that you can listen for between high-end headphones).

All songs were FLAC, with a bunch being 24/192 or 24/96, and some 16/44 Redbook. All songs were played from my laptop using Foobar2000, USB-out to my Centrance HiFi-M8.

Rosies
Fit: Comfortable, good isolation. Not too big.​

Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue: Soundstage not as wide, but good positioning of instruments.
Diana Krall (from Live in Paris) - I Love Being Here With You: good detail on snare / cymbals
Portishead (from Roseland Live NYC) - Only You: bass a touch muddy
(Chesky Ultimate Demo Disc) Sara K - If I Could Sing Your Blues: Ok positioning
(Chesky) Monty Alexander - Sweet Georgia Brown: Good detail retrieval. Slightly worse positioning / soundstage
(Chesky) Johnny Frigo - I Love Paris: Good energy, and cymbal crash detail
Miles Davis - So What: Trumpets sound a bit crackly, good detail retrieval on cymbals and snare drums
Nina Simone - Pastel Blues: Good detail retrieval on hand claps and snare drums
Dr. Dre - Forgot about Dre: good bass, good detail on the snare drum on the sides
Dr. Dre - Next Episode: Bass seems a bit boomy
Avicii Ultra 2015 set: slight sibilance on the highs

Angies:
Fit: Even though they look bigger than the Rosies, fit is very comfortable. Great isolation as well.

Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue: Nice soundstage, instrument positioning seems more precise.
Diana Krall - I love Being HEre with you: good energy, good detail on the snare / cymbals
Diana Krall - Fly Me To The Moon: Good energy, smooth. Vocals sound superb.
Portishead - (from Roseland Live NYC) Only You: Better, crisper bass
(Chesky) Rebecca Pidgeon - Spanish Harlem: Nice shaker detail retrieval
(Chesky) Sara K - If I could Sing Your Blues: Better positioning than Rosies
(Chesky) Johnny Frigo - I love Paris: good energy, good cymbal crash detail, similar to Rosies
Miles DAvis - So What: Good soundstage, trumpets less crackly, good detail retrieval on cymbals and snare drums
Nina Simone - Pastel Blues: Good cymbal and snare drum detail
Dr. Dre - Next Episode: Bass definitely noticeable tighter
Avicii Ultra 2015 set: highs sound crisper, did not hear any sibilance during same sections

Thanks for the useful info!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 22, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #605 of 692
Just got my NEW Rosie V2's and noticed something... the right ear piece is perfect. Wide bores and nothing looks out of place. On the left ear piece the bass (widest) bore it looks like two tubes inside of the larger tube are pinched together or blocked somehow. Also one of the bores on the left side appear to be covered somewhat with a piece of metal shaving from being cut or something. I could probably get a needle and work it out. It's just beyond the surface/flush. 

Both left and right side sound fine and I can't find any differentiation between the two sides as far as anything not working properly or being clogged/blocked.

For the price my OCD is justified I'm sure. :p

Should I contact JH support, the place I got them from or just ignore it?

Took a few pics.. had to take multiple ones due to focus not being easy:

Thoughts?

Jun 22, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #606 of 692
Just got my NEW Rosie V2's and noticed something... it looks like two tubes inside of the larger tube are pinched together or blocked somehow. Also one of the bores on the left side appear to be covered somewhat with a piece of metal shaving from being cut or something. I could probably get a needle and work it out. It's just beyond the surface/flush. ... Should I contact JH support, the place I got them from or just ignore it?
I would send the link to your post directly to JHA and ask them for their professional opinion. Their response should include the what and the why. As we know, every one is hand-assembled in their Orlando office & workshop. I was already annoyed by the poorly-finished bores on my unit and would doubley so with yours.

On a side note, I noticed. what appears to be a lining on the interior of the large bores, although that makes little sense... . Please ask them on our behalf. Does the stuff sticking out of yours feel like steel or plastic... ?

Jun 22, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #607 of 692
I would send the link to your post directly to JHA and ask them for their professional opinion. Their response should include the what and the why. As we know, every one is hand-assembled in their Orlando office & workshop. I was already annoyed by the poorly-finished bores on my unit and would doubley so with yours.

On a side note, I noticed. what appears to be a lining on the interior of the large bores, although that makes little sense... . Please ask them on our behalf. Does the stuff sticking out of yours feel like steel or plastic... ?

I've emailed and gotten a reply back from Pat already. Quick response from their CS!

As for the sticking out.. nothing is protruding. It's smooth on the surface for the most part and nothing is sticking out. 

Jun 22, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #608 of 692
  I've emailed and gotten a reply back from Pat already. Quick response from their CS!
As for the sticking out.. nothing is protruding. It's smooth on the surface for the most part and nothing is sticking out. 

...and? Care to share? Or was it a "we'll get back to you asap on that"?
"Smooth" is a question of perspective... to our coarse fingers, I'm sure, but to my macro lens, it's a whole different story... try wiping that off with a cloth... :wink:

27000969060_31821261d7_c.jpg

Jun 22, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #609 of 692
(double post)

Jun 22, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #610 of 692
  ...and? Care to share? Or was it a "we'll get back to you asap on that"?
"Smooth" is a question of perspective... to our coarse fingers, I'm sure, but to my macro lens, it's a whole different story... try wiping that off with a cloth... :wink:

I have the ability to take a photo close to that quality but they asked me to send it back for inspection. 

It was smooth as in no rough edges were felt. As long as it's relatively flush I'm not extremely concerned. When pieces start looking clogged and metal particles are within clear view, I am however concerned. 

I've heard mixed thoughts about JH and their CS but so far I'm very pleased. As I mentioned, I was given a very polite and quick response with a solution. The solution of sending my new IEM's back may not be ideal but if turnaround is anywhere near as fast as their CS I might see them back Friday if I'm lucky. 

I will update once I get an update myself. 

Jun 26, 2016 at 10:05 PM Post #614 of 692

Full Carbon Fiber Roxanne with black AK380 together with the accompanying amp.

Jun 26, 2016 at 11:57 PM Post #615 of 692
Impressive. That must be the better part of ten grand sitting there.
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back