JH Audio & Astell&Kern Siren Series Full Metal Jacket Line Announced!
May 29, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #571 of 692

Cool, i will upload my Angie I size comparison with ER4S (newer version).

Eight vs. what, one(?) BA means quite a difference in shell volume, hehe.
Regarding Angie I vs. II, I'm taking the liberty of re-posting this photo from Astell & Kern's FB site:
26678478694_8d6ac79856.jpg

So you seem to be using stock silicon on the Angies and Comply(?) foamies on the Etys? #1s?
My comply TX-500 "mesh" and TS-400 (open) should arrive in the next days and then hopefully I will find the perfect match for the Angies and my ears 
etysmile.gif

I'm hoping the mesh version won't affect the sonic signature too much but the idea of having to try to clean those... wow 
eek.gif

27206479041_e9b4d81676.jpg

Jun 1, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #572 of 692
My comply TX-500 "mesh" and TS-400 (open) should arrive in the next days and then hopefully I will find the perfect match for the Angies and my ears...

So... surprise, surprise - the FMJ's stock foamies are actually Complys (500s) ... that or they both come from the same exact manufacture...
blink.gif

Looks like Comply is pretty much a monopoly on foam tips today ...? Even current-day Etymotics' foamies look like Comply's. In comparison, my old-gen Ety "grey" foamies are 2x larger... in all directions.
Good news, I guess. It's easier to locate a general provider for Complys than for "OEM" tips anyway and now I have essentially both the "500s" with and w/o the mesh so I can at least A:B them to check for adverse effects (of the mesh).
beerchug.gif

Jun 2, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #574 of 692
Not sure if this is the thread you really wanted to post in but regardless, so sorry to hear it!
eek.gif

How did it happen? Did both cut out at the same time or "soon after"?

If I'm not mistaken, you also have the Rosies? How are they working for you?

Jun 2, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #575 of 692
  Not sure if this is the thread you really wanted to post in but regardless, so sorry to hear it!
eek.gif

How did it happen? Did both cut out at the same time or "soon after"?

If I'm not mistaken, you also have the Rosies? How are they working for you?

Left went first, then the right.....I sold my Rosies......I'm just sticking with my Roxannes now

Jun 2, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #576 of 692
Jun 2, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #579 of 692
can anyone provide a comparison between the angies and the roxannes 2? been looking everywhere but couldnt find any review on the roxannes.

Roxanne came first, so there are lots of reviews.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/jerry-harvey-audio-sirens-series-roxanne-universal-iem
http://www.head-fi.org/products/jerry-harvey-audio-sirens-series-roxanne-custom-iem

Also, check out the impressions thread.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/684396/new-jh-audio-flagship-siren-series-roxanne

You won't get a lot of direct comparisons against Angie, but I'm sure you'll find a few. I know there are some in the Angie thread.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/765867/jh-audio-angie-impressions-and-discussion-thread

Jun 3, 2016 at 6:25 PM Post #581 of 692
Haven't heard Roxanne 2, but when I compared Roxanne to Angie, Roxanne sounded boomy vs Angie's pristine sound. Tbh, I didn't like the signature of Roxanne at all and so didn't listen enough to really remember more than that.

Jun 6, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #582 of 692
Hello, 
Could anyone help me decide between the Rosie and the Roxanne II. There is this shop that has both (but can't be demo'd). 
I listen to a lot of metalcore (august burns red/ devil wears prada), djent (periphery), blues(bb king), glitch hop/edm (haywyre), rap(aesop rock) and occasionally acoustic or stuff like chet faker.

There is like 1k difference between the rosie and roxanne II and  would like to know why. Do they sound that different?
I read through a lot of the pages but didn't really find a review that was similar to my tastes. It's hard to find iems that keep up with stuff like metal because of how visceral it can get, hopefully one of these can capture that. 
I'm just trying to pick one of these babies up before they get sold out. 

Thanks, you guys are awesome btw! 

I a currently using Sony XBA-Z5.

Jun 6, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #583 of 692
Hello, 
Could anyone help me decide between the Rosie and the Roxanne II. There is this shop that has both (but can't be demo'd). 
I listen to a lot of metalcore (august burns red/ devil wears prada), djent (periphery), blues(bb king), glitch hop/edm (haywyre), rap(aesop rock) and occasionally acoustic or stuff like chet faker.

There is like 1k difference between the rosie and roxanne II and  would like to know why. Do they sound that different?
I read through a lot of the pages but didn't really find a review that was similar to my tastes. It's hard to find iems that keep up with stuff like metal because of how visceral it can get, hopefully one of these can capture that. 
I'm just trying to pick one of these babies up before they get sold out. 

Thanks, you guys are awesome btw! 

I a currently using Sony XBA-Z5.

Definitely Roxanne 2 if price is not a concern, Roxanne 2 will be more exciting and enveloping than the Rosie, a lot more bass quantity and more sparkles at the top end, I love it with rock, pop and live. From the v shaped Z5 u will find the mids of the JH r much closer and intimate.

Jun 8, 2016 at 1:51 AM Post #584 of 692
  Thanks for the feedback. Maybe you should lead with that before compiling a best->worst list 
wink_face.gif
 If you think your Rosie foam-tips hurt stay away from Etymotics' - they are 2x thicker (but compress more). I actually used them for years but now have reverted to their silicon tips because they started to bother me (go figure).

The stock JHA foam works okay for me but I could use something with a little more "grip" and I hope the complys will do that. Isolation is already perfect but they tend to loosen up after a while and then I have to re-seat them... 
rolleyes.gif

27020562180_5ae270fb66_c.jpg

Hello Sir,
I noticed and read that you have JH Angie II, I do expecting my Angie II to get delivered anytime but I would like you to give some input or impression about size and feel ,comfort and sound
thanks

Jun 8, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #585 of 692
  Hello Sir, I noticed and read that you have JH Angie II, I do expecting my Angie II to get delivered anytime but I would like you to give some input or impression about size and feel ,comfort and sound
thanks

Hey there
smily_headphones1.gif
  Congratulations on your "incoming" 
cool.gif
I can see that you are excited and have reason to be - the Angie IIs (and indeed, the entire new Siren line) are amazing in build quality and deliver amazing sound. Now... regarding comfort size and feel - let's be honest, no two ear-canals are alike, much less two different person's ears... . So no matter what I say it will NOT apply to you.

Having said that... they are reasonably large IEMs but fit nicely in the "ear-well"* just sticking out 2~4mm (if viewed from behind). Unfortunately for me they can only go straight into the ear canal so if you happen to have a shallow canal (veering sharply upwards) then the fit is not so easy. In my case, one canal is deeper and works well with the Angies and the other is a bit too shallow so that I eventually lose the seal and have to re-seat the IEM. I am still working on the best tip-fit (Comply T-500s in med. and sm.) but it's not looking good... . I can hardly blame the Sirens for that - as most IEMs will give me the same problem.
*sorry, I don't know the correct Latin nomenclature of the individual areas of the ear 
rolleyes.gif
)

The Moon-Audio supplied cable is awesome. Zero microphonics. Coming from 1st-gen Etymotic ER-4s, the results are night and day. Consideration must be given to the fact that ER-4S pretty much must be worn (cable) straight down while the Angies must be worn over-ear. But regardless, the plastic(?) covering the Ag-plated TINSEL wire is very flexible and well, silent, for lack of a better word. The four-pin connectors and Al locking rings also add to the overall quality. Only audiophile addicts will feel the need to upgrade theirs to the famous "Black Dragon" (V2) cable which basically offers AG-plated Cu wire in the exact same "packaging". We all know and love the the Interconnect-upgrade game...

27295538175_f8ac54c432_c.jpg

I won't go into much detail sonically as I do not have enough experience with today's range of IEMs and have been using my really-old Etymotic ER-4S up 'till now. I will have to let someone with more experience (you, maybe? :) ) tell us what they think. In any event, the sound coming from these is simply phenomenal throughout the frequency range!
When you get them, you will note that the "pots" on the attenuation pod are basically off (4 o'clock) and thus allow 100% LF through. This will most likely be too much for the average taste, so you may want to back them down to around 1 o'clock as a good starting point. As you can see, I have them set to 2 o'clock for now (range is 8-4 o'clock)

27192630692_2c7e6deea9_c.jpg

My personal goal with IEMs is not to have them be 100% sonically faithful - as one might say the Etymotics aspire to be. Rather, I want IEMs to engage me as much as my Grado SR-225 open-cans do, in terms of soundstage, attack and reasonably-fair representation throughout the entire frequency range. If I were to define my SR-225s as a "V" curve, I would say the Angies are almost a (shallow) double-V with a small hump to represent the mids. They are for sure a "mid-forward" IEM as Jerry himself has stated in many interviews. Vocals are up front and personal. Soundstage is comfortably wide, less so in depth. At least that is my impression after the first ~ 10 days of auditioning; More to come but again, I assure you that I am far from the best to consult in terms of grading any IEMS in terms of sonic signature and/or quality.

I am happy with them but I cannot promise myself - or anyone else for that matter - that they are worth the asking price. I would have to try out a half-dozen similar IEMs in a broader price range to make such a determination and I am not planning to do so (lack of $ for that 
eek.gif
). Good luck to you and please do let us have your feedback as well!

27000970050_a729d70c34_c.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back