JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Mar 24, 2013 at 4:12 AM Post #707 of 3,417
Quote:
Kind of expensive? You're paying more than half the price of the C5 for a < 3-inch cable. T_T

Yeah, the practical guy on my left shoulder says keep the L9.  The audiophiliac on my right shoulder keeps making cricket noises :D

Mar 24, 2013 at 8:54 AM Post #708 of 3,417
Here's a cheaper custom option from BTG-Audio:

http://btg-audio.com/webstore.htm#ecwid:category=3351504&mode=product&product=14274706

Having bought a Starlight CIEM cable from Brian, I can attest to the quality of his SPC wire: very flexible, great looking, and sounds great as well.

A left exit 1 inch LOD would probably be the best solution for the C5.

EDIT: the iPod dock on Brian's LODs looks smaller than the Cricket. So much for ALO's marketing "This line out dock is designed to be as unobtrusive as possible."

Mar 24, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #709 of 3,417
Quote:

http://btg-audio.com/webstore.htm#ecwid:category=3351504&mode=product&product=14274706

Having bought a Starlight CIEM cable from Brian, I can attest to the quality of his SPC wire: very flexible, great looking, and sounds great as well.

EDIT: the iPod dock on Brian's LODs looks smaller than the Cricket. So much for ALO's marketing "This line out dock is designed to be as unobtrusive as possible."

Thanks for the info.  I will place an order today!

Mar 24, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #710 of 3,417
Quote:

Actually a short straight more flexible cable  and jack would be the best option for the C5 something like this:

http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/New-silver-plated-LOD-cable-iphone-ipod-i-touch-/270971592884?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item3f172a60b4
silver_dock_iphone.jpg

And it's an even more cheaper option and would definitely make the stack stay put.

Mar 24, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #711 of 3,417
Or how about this: 

http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/Apple-iPhone-iPod-Nano-itouch-Line-Out-Dock-LOD-Headphone-Amplifier-Black-/180918590814?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item2a1f969d5e#ht_3377wt_906

[size=small]
$T2eC16FHJI!E9qSO8Hl+BRPs1Ij3Vw~~_35.JPG

[/size]

and a jack of your liking maybe a fiio L8 then you could go right or left...frankly you guys got it easy for iDevices as there are tons of options to choose from.

Mar 24, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #712 of 3,417
Make you own cables, see mine a few pages back, DIY perfect fit

Mar 24, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #713 of 3,417
Quote:
I'm using the Fiio L9 between the iPod Classic and C5 for now.  I may get the ALO Audio Cricket, but it's kind of expensive.

I have the cricket. Good LOD. I just got the Fiio L3 last week for $9.99 and I am impressed.

Mar 24, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #714 of 3,417
Quote:
I have the cricket. Good LOD. I just got the Fiio L3 last week for $9.99 and I am impressed.

I'd use it that way, but my phones have an l-shape connector, so i can't have the fiio point that way.  It blocks the phones one way or the volume the other way, :-o

Mar 24, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #715 of 3,417
Quote:

I'd use it that way, but my phones have an l-shape connector, so i can't have the fiio point that way.  It blocks the phones one way or the volume the other way, :-o

I got the cricket here on headfi at a wonderful reduced price to use for my national as the input for the national is far right which makesthe cricket perfect as it was intended for the continental and the national. Just got a new amp last week and the cricket was a little short for it so I decided on the Fiio L3. I'm using an L shaped connector too and thats why I chose a straight plug rather than L shaped. 

Mar 24, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #716 of 3,417
I got the cricket here on headfi at a wonderful reduced price to use for my national as the input for the national is far right which makesthe cricket perfect as it was intended for the continental and the national. Just got a new amp last week and the cricket was a little short for it so I decided on the Fiio L3. I'm using an L shaped connector too and thats why I chose a straight plug rather than L shaped. 

I've got a streight connector plug for my headphones and for a while I used the FiiO L9 around it. The stack looked nice, but the cable blocked the bass boost switch. Now I am using the FiiO L3, and everything is accessable. The FiiO LOD's are quite good, but I have high hopes for the Silver Dragon V3 LOD (Moon Audio).. it is on the way, and will be with me soon. But not soon enough though.. :wink:

Mar 24, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #717 of 3,417
Quote:
I've got a streight connector plug for my headphones and for a while I used the FiiO L9 around it. The stack looked nice, but the cable blocked the bass boost switch. Now I am using the FiiO L3, and everything is accessable. The FiiO LOD's are quite good, but I have high hopes for the Silver Dragon V3 LOD (Moon Audio).. it is on the way, and will be with me soon. But not soon enough though.. :wink:

Yes, the V3 silver dragons are great. 

Mar 24, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #718 of 3,417
Ever since I got the C5, my O2 has been sitting at my desk without use. >_<
Synergy-wise, the C5 sounds great with the K 701 since the center imaging is improved and the bass boost function is friggin' awesome for gaming and for listening to bass-oriented music genres.
Usability-wise, the C5 pairs wonderfully with the V-MODA Crossfade M-100 for portable applications as the C5+iPhone combo easily fits in my jean pocket and/or jacket pocket. That kind of use is pretty much impossible for me with the O2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back