JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Jan 28, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #2,056 of 3,417
Yeah sorry, I wasn't clear on that. The iPod 5/5.5th gen both support line out, but for some reason you can still see the digital volume bar on the device (normally you can't adjust/see the digital volume). In Rockbox, the digital volume actually does change the volume level, but in the iPod operating system the volume changing doesn't do anything.

I don't believe there is any way to bypass the internal DAC of the iPod [Classic] series unless you buy an expensive (typically $500+ USD) "Apple certified" DAC unfortunately.

FWIW, I have Rockbox on my 6th (some say 7th) gen 160 GB iPod Classic, and with Line Out enabled, the wheel will "adjust" the volume (the indicator changes), but it does not affect the volume.  Gotta use the C5 to change it, as it should be.  Can't speak to Rockbox on other iPods/devices.

Jan 28, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #2,057 of 3,417
Yeah sorry, I wasn't clear on that. The iPod 5/5.5th gen both support line out, but for some reason you can still see the digital volume bar on the device (normally you can't adjust/see the digital volume). In Rockbox, the digital volume actually does change the volume level, but in the iPod operating system the volume changing doesn't do anything.

I don't believe there is any way to bypass the internal DAC of the iPod [Classic] series unless you buy an expensive (typically $500+ USD) "Apple certified" DAC unfortunately.

Ahhh.. Now I get it.. Based on your photo you are using the iPod OS right? Have you tried comparing it using rockbox OS+ the C5/C5D amp? Which one do you prefer most? SQ and EQ?

To me they sound the same, and yup I was using the iPod OS in the photo. I generally don't use the stock iPod OS since the middle button on the iPod is really depressed/non-responsive, which is used to select things; in Rockbox, I can just use the fast-forward button to select things.

FWIW, I have Rockbox on my 6th (some say 7th) gen 160 GB iPod Classic, and with Line Out enabled, the wheel will "adjust" the volume (the indicator changes), but it does not affect the volume.  Gotta use the C5 to change it, as it should be.  Can't speak to Rockbox on other iPods/devices.

Yeah I have that option enabled on my Rockbox firmware too. The digital volume still affects the output volume though as I can mute it in Rockbox and it'll be muted from the C5/C5D.

Jan 28, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #2,058 of 3,417
To me they sound the same, and yup I was using the iPod OS in the photo. I generally don't use the stock iPod OS since the middle button on the iPod is really depressed/non-responsive, which is used to select things; in Rockbox, I can just use the fast-forward button to select things.
Yeah I have that option enabled on my Rockbox firmware too. The digital volume still affects the output volume though as I can mute it in Rockbox and it'll be muted from the C5/C5D.

OK maybe will try to rockbox my iPod too.. Will try them first.. Thanks for the feedbacks! Really thinking what amp/DAC I can use to my iPod and m100s for the moment.. Can't wait to get a try on the X5 + m100 for future upgrade too..

Jan 28, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #2,059 of 3,417

OK maybe will try to rockbox my iPod too.. Will try them first.. Thanks for the feedbacks! Really thinking what amp/DAC I can use to my iPod and m100s for the moment.. Can't wait to get a try on the X5 + m100 for future upgrade too..

I'm participating the FiiO X5 tour and I'll probably receive the unit in the next week or so-ish. I can PM you how it sounds with the M-100, and post here how it sounds with the C5/C5D.

Jan 28, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #2,060 of 3,417
I'm participating the FiiO X5 tour and I'll probably receive the unit in the next week or so-ish. I can PM you how it sounds with the M-100, and post here how it sounds with the C5/C5D.

Oohhh really!!? Thats sooo sooooo great! Maybe will be waiting your review on it the m100 and maybe + the C5D.. Hahaha!Thanks man.. Really into this too coz for my situation, I have no plans on upgrading my cans, or maybe after 5yrs I guess.. Haha.. Thanks man! Hope you'll get those X5 asap! :smile_cat:

Jan 30, 2014 at 4:17 AM Post #2,061 of 3,417
Huh, that actually turned out better than I thought it would. The C5D (high gain) vs ODAC/O2 (1.0x gain) combo for the MrSpeakers Alpha Dog. The C5D's bass doesn't hit quite as hard and clean as the ODAC/O2, and the instrument separation and soundstage depth don't quite match up, but the overall sound signatures of the two are really close. If you need a portable DAC/amp, the C5D really does a great job!

Jan 30, 2014 at 4:23 AM Post #2,062 of 3,417
Huh, that actually turned out better than I thought it would. The C5D (high gain) vs ODAC/O2 (1.0x gain) combo for the MrSpeakers Alpha Dog. The C5D's bass doesn't hit quite as hard and clean as the ODAC/O2, and the instrument separation and soundstage depth don't quite match up, but the overall sound signatures of the two are really close. If you need a portable DAC/amp, the C5D really does a great job!

Hi mice! I dont know if its in the same weight division but How can you compare that ADs to the M100s with the C5D on your iPod?

Jan 30, 2014 at 4:45 AM Post #2,063 of 3,417

Hi mice! I dont know if its in the same weight division but How can you compare that ADs to the M100s with the C5D on your iPod?

I actually haven't tried that yet, but I can do that on Friday when I get more free time. I was just about to pack up for tonight.

This is really weird, but despite the technical differences between the C5D and ODAC/O2, I actually like the C5D more with the Alpha Dog. The C5D has a slightly forward midrange (like the C5 as an amp) and it makes Pharrell Williams' voice sound like he's singing to me in Daft Punk's "Get Lucky" song, as opposed to away or from a distance with the ODAC/O2 combo. I'll need to approximate volume-match next time though; this was just a quick comparison.

On a technical note, the C5D is listed to support:
Audio Formats: 16/44, 16/48, 16/88, 16/96, 24/44, 24/48, 24/96

This Daft Punk album is in 24/88, and it loads much faster in Audirvana Plus than the ODAC, which doesn't support 88.2 kHz sampling rates at all and Audirvana has to re-sample the file.

Oh, I just checked the blog post:
http://blog.jdslabs.com/?p=722
I checked our firmware configuration, and 24/88 kHz is enabled for the USB controller! Interestingly, Windows does not acknowledge this rate as an option. It is enabled.

Sweet! :)

Jan 30, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #2,064 of 3,417
I actually haven't tried that yet, but I can do that on Friday when I get more free time. I was just about to pack up for tonight.

This is really weird, but despite the technical differences between the C5D and ODAC/O2, I actually like the C5D more with the Alpha Dog. The C5D has a slightly forward midrange (like the C5 as an amp) and it makes Pharrell Williams' voice sound like he's singing to me in Daft Punk's "Get Lucky" song, as opposed to away or from a distance with the ODAC/O2 combo. I'll need to approximate volume-match next time though; this was just a quick comparison.

On a technical note, the C5D is listed to support:
Audio Formats: 16/44, 16/48, 16/88, 16/96, 24/44, 24/48, 24/96

This Daft Punk album is in 24/88, and it loads much faster in Audirvana Plus than the ODAC, which doesn't support 88.2 kHz sampling rates at all and Audirvana has to re-sample the file.

Oh, I just checked the blog post:
http://blog.jdslabs.com/?p=722
Sweet! :)

Looking forward to your comparison mice! Thanks!

Jan 30, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #2,066 of 3,417
I have c5d and quickstep both are amazing but the bass switch and the bass quality on the c5d is from another planet. Apart fromt he extra bass switch both are top!

Jan 30, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #2,070 of 3,417
It's not only me but other comments that I read in the past.... c5d>>>> fiio

Users who are viewing this thread

Back