Is Hifiman HM-801 an overkill if I only have CD quality FLACs???
Aug 8, 2011 at 6:49 AM Post #2 of 88
Have you heard the difference between 16/44 and 24/96?

Listen to a 24bit /96khz track in foobar (if you have a Dac/Amp or sound-card connected that can play it) and then use the resampler plug-in to downconvert it to 44kHz.

The difference is noticable, for sure, but slight, it's just slightly er... higher resolution and airier, really it's not a huge deal, afterall we're all used to CD quality, perhaps if we were used to 24/96 it'd be a different story.

It also depends on the IEM's or HP's you'll be using of course.

Aug 8, 2011 at 7:09 AM Post #4 of 88
Actually, I would say that the HifiMan doesn't even do your bog-standard 16/44 files justice, let alone high resolution. It performs much like a standard consumer DAP, but costs more and is uglier. (worse frequency response, but probably inaudible and comparable levels of distortion/crosstalk)

Aug 8, 2011 at 7:39 AM Post #5 of 88
It actually measures worse than a lot of standard commerical DAPs out there - from line out or headphone out. Best avoided IMO.

Re the difference between 16bit and 24bit?

It's to do with dynamic range alone, nothing to do with "sound quality" and in fact, since no track out there has used anywhere near the full dynamic range of a CD, nothing to do with music in any way shape or form.

It's a load of nonsense.

Aug 8, 2011 at 7:50 AM Post #8 of 88
popcorn.gif

If you mean overkill the treble, yes. It overkills your wallet too. It also overkills your sanity.

I heard it. Just forget about it.

Aug 8, 2011 at 8:04 AM Post #10 of 88
Yes, I read why they rolled off the treble. What they said is, regrettably, complete and utter crap. Unless you roll off the treble your player sounds "digital?" Give me a break...

Aug 8, 2011 at 8:04 AM Post #11 of 88
While a set of headphones or speakers aims to offer a flavour of sound (and due to a litanny of reasons there is actually no such thing as set-in-stone "accurate" when it comes to transducers), a DAC and an amp both have set-in-stone tasks they are supposed to carry out - the Hifiman DAPs simply fail at their required task.

Aug 8, 2011 at 8:18 AM Post #13 of 88
I really don't hear a big difference between DAPs to be honest, yes in direct comparrison I certainly did prefer the Clip + over the hifiman.

The treble roll-off is audible, it's doesn't make an earth-shattering change to the SQ, but its there and it's off-putting.

I don't see this as being harsh - it's a perfectly fair point to make. My mental arithmatic isn't good enough to say off the top of my head how many Clip + you could get for the price of a HM801 - and I think that kind of makes my point for me. It measures worse in almost every way than the vast majority of off the shelf commercial DAPs. If it doesn't meaure up then people considering a purchase should be informed of that fact.

It's nothing personal against hifiman, I think they make amazing ortho headphones, but their DAPs are seriously ropey.

Aug 8, 2011 at 8:25 AM Post #14 of 88

Quote:
I really don't hear a big difference between DAPs to be honest, yes in direct comparrison I certainly did prefer the Clip + over the hifiman.

Which DAPs have you heard?

I can tell the difference between a weak DAP (like the Clip) and my Teclast T51 blindfolded, like I said I haven't heard the HM-801 and I'm only considering the HM-601, and like you said they make great other stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back