Is Grado evolving too slowly?
Oct 21, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #166 of 261

Quote:
Really? I don't.

The only "flaw" is in the folks who constantly bitch about how everything is flawed. 

Holy crap, go enjoy some music people (if you can actually do that). Sheesh. 

Thank God we found someone that actually enjoys music.
rolleyes.gif

Don't complain folks; otherwise, you're a music hater.

Oct 21, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #167 of 261
Thats like saying, "dont complain about your car" to pro racing driver, "just enjoy the ride".

Oct 21, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #168 of 261
You mean I'm not supposed to just fiddle with gear and actually listen to music?

Where's the manager of this place, I want answers 
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 21, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #169 of 261
  Actually the Ivory Liquid Soap works better than the Johnson's Baby Shampoo for washing the pads (tried both). Softer and no odor left behind. I got rid of the bowls and have been using flats on the PS1K's, cured the minor response irregularities and you melt into the sound scape. With patience you can adjust the band and pressure on the ears....you can't rock the head hard....they will splat the lap 
basshead.gif

If you listen for flaws...you miss the Music!

Oct 21, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #170 of 261

Quote:
  Actually the Ivory Liquid Soap works better than the Johnson's Baby Shampoo for washing the pads (tried both). Softer and no odor left behind. I got rid of the bowls and have been using flats on the PS1K's, cured the minor response irregularities and you melt into the sound scape. With patience you can adjust the band and pressure on the ears....you can't rock the head hard....they will splat the lap 
basshead.gif

If you listen for flaws...you miss the Music!

PICS...or it didnt happen.

Oct 22, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #171 of 261

Quote:
Not sure what everyone here is fussing about.  I really like my Grados... The box?  really?  Those are stacked in my closet for when I move (on top of my speaker boxes).  I've never had a lick of issues with any of them either.  Sure my HF2s have a couple of blemishes on the metal finish since new, which is annoying but not a show stopper. Overall build quality I've had no issues with.  Nothing has broken or failed in the 7+ years I've owned the MS-1s, 6+ years I've owned the HF-1s, and 2+ years I've owned the HF2s.  The HF-1s have been my work headphones since I got em... 6-8 hours a day five days a week on my head.  

I've heard a lot of the "high end" stuff from the larger manufacturers, and even the smaller ones.  With maybe one exception (LCD2) I haven't heard anything I'd say was far and above the HF2s in performance.  The k701 I found to be nice for things but completely lacking bottom.  Not even in the same league for anything but classical.  Rock on the K701 was a 'forget about it' type of experience for me.  The Denon D7000 I found to be very similar in sound to the HF2, but lacking the airiness I enjoy in the Grados.  Sennheiser's are interesting, and I can see how people would like them, but not for me.  

In the grand scheme of things headphone design hasn't changed since the 60s when Koss and Sennheiser started rocking out.  You can put a new driver in a fancy plastic enclosure, but the driver itself is built pretty much just like they always have been.  Sure there's electrostatic and planar, but even those technologies are quite old.  Grado continually tweaks their drivers and housings just like everyone else, they just tend to leave the overall build and design the same (probably for interchangeability of parts since they're a relatively small hand made shop).  

When I started this on site Grado's line was simply 60,80,125,225,325,rs-2,rs-1.  Now they have the "i" series of those, had HF series, PS-1, GS-1000, GS-1000i, PS-1000, iGrado, IEMs, now PS500.  At the same time Sennheiser had gobs of low end stuff, the 280, 600, 650.  They now have gobs of new low end stuff, some new fill-ins between 280 and 600, and the 800.  That's basically the same progression in the high end.  

What we HAVE seen is a ton of new manufacturers, which is quite exciting, but I don't have any issues with the old guys hanging around doing what they do.  The market is growing dramatically and IMO people are still trying to catch the guys who've been doing this for years and years.  

Good post. I especially agree about the interchangeability. I think it's awesome how one headband can be used by any Grado. Same with upgraded gimbals, rodblocks, pads, etc. Plus, they are so easy to take apart and put together, which is part of the allure of Grados for me. Not that I will be taking apart headphones all the time, but at least you can modify them easily to have a truly unique headphone. I think that's way cooler than having stock (looking) headphones that you can't easily change.

Jan 13, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #172 of 261
Grado is a family business and I wouldn't be expecting a huge force or section dedicated to research. If I remember correctly, all current Grado headphones were designed by John Grado (over ear line) and his sons(in ear line) so I wouldn't exactly expect many headphones to be released from Grado. When I think of Grado, I think of a classic Grado sound rather then a variety of different sound sigs.

Jan 13, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #173 of 261
Not to knock a family business or anything, but I feel Grado have indeed been left behind somewhat, and havent helped themselves one bit with styling, branding, marketing and value for money. Not only do I feel some of their high end models leave a lot to be desired sonically, they also charge extreme premiums for them, where small issues nag. Such as the foam ear cups which just aren't comfortable or ergonomic (the ridges sort of dug in to me and left some minor discomfort). Basic barebones packaging (thousands of dollar headphones in a simple cardboard box with some foam?). Honestly, if I had not simply heard a friends and myself purchased such an expensive headphone that came packaged as such, I'd be disappointed to say the least.

To gain some momentum in the market again, I honestly think Grados need to push for greater value for money, drop prices and put a higher emphasis on consumers. Comfort, sound quality, extra's, bang for buck etc, all have to be upped one or two levels imo.

Jan 13, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #176 of 261
The "if it ain't broke don't fix it" line only really applies to existing products. Not newly released or developed one's, which naturally, ought to follow the chain of evolution and progress. Otherwise no technology or product would ever develop and improve over time.

Jan 13, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #177 of 261
I love my SR60i's, but I have wondered with all I read about so many of them supposedly sounding alike, if I was to move up the ladder, how far up for a noticeable difference? I've heard that you have to jump up to the 225i, but how different is it?

It's worth mentioning that I do typically add a 5db boost to the 100hz and below frequencies with my SR60i's.....then they sound just right to me.

Jan 13, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #178 of 261

Quote:

To gain some momentum in the market again, I honestly think Grados need to push for greater value for money, drop prices and put a higher emphasis on consumers. Comfort, sound quality, extra's, bang for buck etc, all have to be upped one or two levels imo.

So, have you heard or read anything about falling sales at Grado?

Jan 13, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #179 of 261
I think Grado is doing well for a small family run firm in Brooklyn.  Look at the PS500, the new IEMs, the PS1000, the new Statement 1 cartridge (the whole 1 series is superb).

I don't see any more innovation from AKG, Sennheiser, etc.

Jan 13, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #180 of 261
Love my grado gs1000. Based on my limited experience (no flames pls), I have not found a headphone that brings grado's level of intimacy to the music experience.

However, grado do need to improve on quality. The ear cups disintegrated on me recently after just one year. I think grado's niche product serving a niche market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back