Is Grado evolving too slowly?
May 17, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #183 of 261
Evolving too slowly?, i personaly would've love for Grado to come out with an ''i'' version of my PS1000 6 months after i just forked out $1700 for a new pair.

A few people are saying that Grado should bring back discontinued models, well, i can name a few models that seem to be sorely missed by many, and they're not from Grado, i just read a few comments on this subject, in David Mahler's flagship review thread.

Not counting the Stax 009 (too expensive), the only other headphones that i might consider buying to replace my PS1000, are the LCD3.

Regarding, the Grado hate threads, i think that they're are a lot more of them than when it comes to any other brand, well, maybe one. The way i see it, they're is a difference between preferring another brand, to Grados, and just hating on them.

As i have said before, i'm a Grado fan, but i'm not a fanboy, the difference being that i can appreciate the fact that other brands can make very good sounding headphones too. .

May 18, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #184 of 261
Quote:

As i have said before, i'm a Grado fan, but i'm not a fanboy, the difference being that i can appreciate the fact that other brands can make very good sounding headphones too. .

Amen...Grados are my favorite headphone line, and I could happily live with even just my SR80s if I were limited in terms of budget, but it's so much more fun to have a few other nice phones in the mix, too. 

As for Grado being left behind, I often compare them to Magnepan. Both small American companies with solid heritage, who aren't rushing all sorts of new products to market every six months. The Magnepan planar magnetic technology hasn't changed drastically over the last 30 years, yet their speakers are still to this day considered some of the best on the planet at a given price point. I could never see myself without Maggies, just as I could never be without Grados. 

People are gonna hate no matter what...it has no bearing on where I spend my money, and I'm certain I'll have many more Grado purchases in my future. 

May 18, 2013 at 6:03 AM Post #185 of 261
The one area where grado lags significantly is in the area of ergonomics and comfort. Their igrado in particular is an utter abomination in this area, but the 60i's are regularly lambasted for their apparent lack of comfort (on amazon in particular). 

I have little interest in a closed design from gradolabs; there are tons of other options from other brands in that regard. What I would love to see, and be utterly grateful for, is a pair of grado's which offered up top notch comfort to match their superb sound quality. 

May 18, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #187 of 261
Grado was my first step into quality headphones, and they will always be special to me -- i however left grado because i prefer an "over the ear" design in the sub $300 region.    I would also like a bit more bass too, I would agree that they need some new models / designs.

May 18, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #189 of 261
Quote:
What would be the best Grado to go for with regard to someone new to the brand?, think I could stretch to a $650 max budget.

Depending wich type of sound you are looking for, i'd say PS500, or RS1i.

May 18, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #192 of 261
Quote:
Thanks for that, how do the RS2l &225l fair compared to the models mentioned.

My music preferences classic rock & soul, a bit of blue-grass, jazz, blues, nothing too strenuous in truth.

I listen to about the same stuff you do and I have the 225i and it is tremendous for that type of music, but having said that, one day I would really like to get some RS1i phones as I think they would encompass much the same sound only better in nearly all respects.

May 18, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #193 of 261
You either love them to death, or despise them with the intensity of a thousand suns. I'm on the former, everything is just fine as is, but I would love a closed Grado.

Yep. Love mine, but I also would like a closed Grado for (a) isolation and (b) some decent sub bass extension. Probably the only reason we haven't seen that is that the drivers may not perform well in closed enclosures.

May 19, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #195 of 261
Quote:
As for Grado being left behind, I often compare them to Magnepan. Both small American companies with solid heritage, who aren't rushing all sorts of new products to market every six months. The Magnepan planar magnetic technology hasn't changed drastically over the last 30 years, yet their speakers are still to this day considered some of the best on the planet at a given price point.

Except Magnepan is continuing to aggressively innovate.  Leaving aside new products such as the MMG, Magnapan has continued to move its products forward with inmpressive improvements.  Compare, for example, the near perfect integration of the ribbon and the planar-magnetic drivers of the 3.7 v. the older 3.6. 

Grado is not advancing its products in the same fashion.  It may not need to however as many are delighted with their offerings as they currently exist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back