iPhone 6 & 6 Plus Audio Quality
Mar 18, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #1,336 of 1,973

That's a pretty good question.

Whenever i listen to the iPhone 6 at high volumes it amazes me because of the phenomenal authority, fullness and clarity that it delivers. It's impressive!

But voltage wise it measures around 1 volt (no load) just like any previous (non European) iPhone. Hence there must be something more to the 6/6+. May be slew rate?

If they add one more volt to the equation Apple would send to bankruptcy to a lot of audio companies.

Talking about EU volume limit, actually it doesn't seem to affect all europeean countries, I bought some smartphones in London including the iphone 4s, 5 and 5s they didn't seemed to suffer from any volume cap at all !

I agree that it severely hit some other europeean countries, as I got my iphone 4 from France in 2010 the output was rather low as on Sony Xperia devices (which should really tell you something) , but devices bought in the UK are (to my experience) not capped
wink.gif

Mar 18, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #1,337 of 1,973

Opt-outs[edit]

Main article: Opt-outs in the European Union

A number of states are less integrated into the EU than others. In most cases this is because those states have gained an opt-out from a certain policy area. The most notable is the opt-out from the Economic and Monetary Union, the adoption of the euro as sole legal currency. Most states outside the Eurozone are obliged to adopt the euro when they are ready, but Denmark and the United Kingdom have obtained the right to retain their own independent currencies.

Ireland and the United Kingdom also do not participate in the Schengen Agreement, which eliminates internal EU border checks. Denmark has an opt out from the Common Security and Defence Policy; Denmark, Ireland and the UK have an opt-out on police and justice matters and Poland and the UK have an opt out from the Charter of Fundamental Rights.

Mar 18, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #1,338 of 1,973

Talking about EU volume limit, actually it doesn't seem to affect all europeean countries, I bought some smartphones in London including the iphone 4s, 5 and 5s they didn't seemed to suffer from any volume cap at all !

I agree that it severely hit some other europeean countries, as I got my iphone 4 from France in 2010 the output was rather low as on Sony Xperia devices (which should really tell you something) , but devices bought in the UK are (to my experience) not capped
wink.gif

My Tinnitus suddenly got worse. I switched on the EU cap and was very surprised how loud it still allows the player to be.

Mar 19, 2015 at 3:25 AM Post #1,339 of 1,973
My take is that Apple does not go that far into how each country is rooted in the EU.

It just makes one model for the whole European region. Logistics would get really complicated otherwise.

Hence UK current iPhones must be capped unless you purchase them from non Apple dealers that might have imported them from US or Asia.

Remember that the cap on iPhones began in late 2012 since CENELEC white paper set 2013-01-01 as final deadline to manufacturers.

Fear the man wearing velcro strapped sandals, for he has nothing left to lose.

Mar 19, 2015 at 3:40 AM Post #1,340 of 1,973

I agree that it severely hit some other europeean countries, as I got my iphone 4 from France in 2010 the output was rather low as on Sony Xperia devices (which should really tell you something) , but devices bought in the UK are (to my experience) not capped :wink:  
If that's the case you can't have listened to an uncapped US device. If you had you would never buy one from the UK again. As elfary just said, it all kicked in about 2012. I still have an iPhone 4s, the last UK iPhone to be sold uncapped! :rage:

Mar 19, 2015 at 6:37 AM Post #1,341 of 1,973
My take is that Apple does not go that far into how each country is rooted in the EU.

It just makes one model for the whole European region. Logistics would get really complicated otherwise.

Hence UK current iPhones must be capped unless you purchase them from non Apple dealers that might have imported them from US or Asia.

Remember that the cap on iPhones began in late 2012 since CENELEC white paper set 2013-01-01 as final deadline to manufacturers.

Well it it's all software so it's really not that complicated since most of european iPhones are carrier locked and have carrier specific SW. In other cases, I believe the responsibility is on the reseller and that's why we have some uncapped devices in EU as well.

Mar 19, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #1,342 of 1,973
Well it it's all software so it's really not that complicated since most of european iPhones are carrier locked and have carrier specific SW. In other cases, I believe the responsibility is on the reseller and that's why we have some uncapped devices in EU as well.

I buy your statement coz I didn't purchased from any operator or official dealer, I'm just a poor cabin crew that always look after saving money when purchasing around the world, I always purchase from lil shops around the corner and never really ask about origin (EU, US, Asia etc) as long as it's certified '' original '' I'm ok.

Most products I purchased from the UK and Asia (mainly in India and thailand) are not capped from any policy or whatever, except for Sony devices that are always capped even if you're not in the EU, somehow there are rumors about uncapped Sony Xperias in Japan only,...???

Regarding Apple products, above the iphone 4 I purchased from France, I don't hear any volume output issue on the other i-devices I own (ed)

Mar 21, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #1,343 of 1,973
Quoted by 'Ken Rockwell  http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/iphone-6-plus.htm#measurements
Sorry Ken, i hope you dont mind me copying you comments
floatsmile.png

"Holy cow; I tested a Beyerdynamic A200p DAC and headphone amp at the same time I had the iPhone 6 Plus in my audio lab, and the iPhone 6 Plus beat it! The iPhone 6 Plus has less distortion, flatter frequency response and much better ability to drive low-impedance headphones with low distortion than the dedicated portable amp!
While all iOS devices have always sounded great if you have good transfers, the audio output of the iPhone 6 Plus is now so improved that it sounds and measures about as well as professional reference DACs like the Benchmark DAC1 HDR, and better than manyconsumer DACs.
The iPhone 6 Plus even has flatter response than the Benchmark DAC1 HDR! Of course an iPhone and a plug-in-the-wall professional DAC are intended for entirely different pupposes, but if the 1 volt RMS output (6 dB less than good outboard DACs and CD players) and 3.5mm jack do it for you, there's no reason not to use the iPhone's output for critical listening.
The iPhone 6 is a better analog audio source than many audiophile products, but the cottage industry created around selling you DACs and other accessories you don't need doesn't want you to know. Remember that accessory dealers, manufacturers and publications that accept advertising from these makers have a vested interest in trying to create FUD about the iPhone's audio quality. Don't beleive them and listen for yourself.
Apple has more smart engineers and far more resources than any other audio specialty company. It makes perfect sense that the iPhone output should be spectacular.
No longer do you need to waste money on DACs and headphone amplifiers, at least for most portable (low-impedance) headphones. Save your money and spend it on moremusic instead."

Anyone care to comment on the above
deadhorse.gif
.  We can all just stop wasting our hard earned $$$$ on DACs and amps. LOL

Mar 21, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #1,344 of 1,973
Quoted by 'Ken Rockwell  http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/iphone-6-plus.htm#measurements
Sorry Ken, i hope you dont mind me copying you comments:floatsmile:

"Holy cow; I tested a Beyerdynamic A200p DAC and headphone amp at the same time I had the iPhone 6 Plus in my audio lab, and the iPhone 6 Plus beat it! The iPhone 6 Plus has less distortion, flatter frequency response and much better ability to drive low-impedance headphones with low distortion than the dedicated portable amp!
While all iOS devices have always sounded great if you have good transfers, the audio output of the iPhone 6 Plus is now so improved that it sounds and measures about as well as professional reference DACs like the Benchmark DAC1 HDR, and better than manyconsumer DACs.
The iPhone 6 Plus even has flatter response than the Benchmark DAC1 HDR! Of course an iPhone and a plug-in-the-wall professional DAC are intended for entirely different pupposes, but if the 1 volt RMS output (6 dB less than good outboard DACs and CD players) and 3.5mm jack do it for you, there's no reason not to use the iPhone's output for critical listening.
The iPhone 6 is a better analog audio source than many audiophile products, but the cottage industry created around selling you DACs and other accessories you don't need doesn't want you to know. Remember that accessory dealers, manufacturers and publications that accept advertising from these makers have a vested interest in trying to create FUD about the iPhone's audio quality. Don't beleive them and listen for yourself.
Apple has more smart engineers and far more resources than any other audio specialty company. It makes perfect sense that the iPhone output should be spectacular.
No longer do you need to waste money on DACs and headphone amplifiers, at least for most portable (low-impedance) headphones. Save your money and spend it on moremusic instead."

Anyone care to comment on the above:deadhorse: .  We can all just stop wasting our hard earned $$$$ on DACs and amps. LOL

You do know that Ken Rockwell also believes in aliens?

Mar 21, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #1,346 of 1,973
Sorry Ken, i hope you dont mind me copying you comments
floatsmile.png

Anyone care to comment on the above
deadhorse.gif
.  We can all just stop wasting our hard earned $$$$ on DACs and amps. LOL

That guy is insane man. All talk about numbers and graphs and I bet he never even listened to any of those sources he listed above. 

Mar 21, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #1,350 of 1,973
Don't know what Ken has listened to but i have listened to quite a few chinese bricks and boutique stuff and driving iems iPhone 5s and 6 are at least as good. So for the most part i think that his assessment os right: unless there are volume problems current iPhones are brilliant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back