iPhone 6 & 6 Plus Audio Quality
Mar 14, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #1,321 of 1,973
My contract is coming to an end and I'm in the market for a new phone.

I have been contemplating to get the 6 plus since its launch, even tested it numerous times.

From my previous posts it's clear that I'm happy with the sound and how it drives my Westone IEMs.

Can anyone tell me why I shouldn't get the 6 plus and wait for Apple's next iteration i.e. 6S plus to be launched in less than half a year? Anyone experiencing too much lag with the 128 GB models?

What phone are you currently using?

Mar 14, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #1,322 of 1,973
Not that it matters ... Using an LG G Pro with an external 128 GB SD card...
I'm already sold on the iPhone 6 plus, my wife uses and iPhone 5s and I have an iPad 4 as well, all sound better than my current phone. Main question is : buy the 6 plus now or wait for the next version...

Mar 14, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #1,323 of 1,973
You should get the Iphone 5s as its cheaper and not much changes for the better on the 6. Or wait for the IPhone 6s as I think this will have some better improvements over the 6 and 6+. I was just wondering what you were coming from when I asked as it seemed you were not a Apple user already. I have a real hatred for Android, nothing but issues for me. I like my iphone 5s with spotify, and I never have software or hardware issues thus far.

So my suggestion would be to wait for the 6s personally.

Mar 14, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #1,324 of 1,973
Same for me. Very happy with 5S and Spotify. Having heard the 6 I would swap for the 6 in an instant. Waiting for the 6S. +1 for waitng.

Mar 15, 2015 at 3:16 AM Post #1,325 of 1,973
Thanks for the feedback but I was looking for the 6 plus as I'm used to the larger screen of the GPro.
I find my wife's 5s too small... I could just get the 6 plus now and sell it when it's replacement comes out...

Mar 15, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #1,326 of 1,973
I have been contemplating to get the 6 plus since its launch, even tested it numerous times.
From my previous posts it's clear that I'm happy with the sound and how it drives my Westone IEMs.
Can anyone tell me why I shouldn't get the 6 plus and wait for Apple's next iteration i.e. 6S plus to be launched in less than half a year? Anyone experiencing too much lag with the 128 GB models?

You don't want a 5/5s if you are used to a big phone. My GF has a 5s and it is teeny. I have 6 w/ Westone W40s and it works well. But I think next year looks more interesting. Samsung is using Exynos processors more widely, which means possibly non-Qualcomm DACs. Also, CirrusLogic (which supplies audio to Apple now) just bought Wolfson. So it would not be surprising for either to appear with something better than this year. Personally, I find iOS primative compared with current Android, but I write software for a living so am more critical than most.

Mar 15, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #1,327 of 1,973
Thanks for the feedback but I was looking for the 6 plus as I'm used to the larger screen of the GPro.
I find my wife's 5s too small... I could just get the 6 plus now and sell it when it's replacement comes out...

Talk about software.

The scrolling on my iPhone 6 (iOS 8.2) stutters on many apps (Music, Tapatalk, Twitter being worst offenders).

I took buttery smooth scrolling for granted but it's not longer the case.

Sound kicks ass though.

Fear the man wearing velcro strapped sandals, for he has nothing left to lose.

Mar 15, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #1,329 of 1,973
iOS 7 (with the iPhone 5) was a lot more stable than the current iOS software (8.2). That said, 8.2 is better than when iOS 8 first rolled out. It would not be a far stretch (okay maybe a little) to say that the first iteration of the 8 software just about turned the iPhone into a glorified paperweight. Now it's a better glorified paperweight that sounds great! :bigsmile_face:

Mar 15, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #1,330 of 1,973

I have been amazed by how good my Alclair RSM Quads sound with my 6+, the Apex Glacier and IFi Nano are better, but not by a huge margin.

Mar 15, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #1,331 of 1,973
I'm now convinced that the iPhone 6 is better at transparency than any non-portable amp. I've yet to hear a desktop amp that's more transparent than the iPhone. There are always some or lots of details lost using the iPhone 6 on an independent amp.

Mar 16, 2015 at 7:06 AM Post #1,332 of 1,973
I'm now convinced that the iPhone 6 is better at transparency than any non-portable amp. I've yet to hear a desktop amp that's more transparent than the iPhone. There are always some or lots of details lost using the iPhone 6 on an independent amp.

I am beginning to think that the quality of music reproduction has limits.
50yrs ago only an audiophile with high end gear would get anywhere near those limits. Now we have a device in our pockets that gets us pretty close.
Happy days. :)

Mar 16, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #1,333 of 1,973
Hi I am using a iPhone 6 128gb I have a set of Sony MDR-1A headphones. I was looking to get a amp/dac do you think I need to? After reading some comments on this thread I'm in two minds any help much appreciated

Mar 17, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #1,334 of 1,973
You will get people who say you do and those that say you don't.
If you enjoy the sound straight out of the phone be happy that you have saved a load of cash and the bother of carting extra gear around.
Any difference is going to be tiny IMHO.
The only real way to know is to try for yourself.
Maybe buy from somewhere that allows returns.
Oh. And beware of placebo! :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back