iPhone 6 & 6 Plus Audio Quality
Sep 19, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #1,681 of 1,973
Nov 14, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #1,682 of 1,973

I have to agree with this.  Comparing music straight out of the iPhone 6 hp jack vs. using a CEntrance dac/ amp I can't honestly say which sounds better.  That goes for both Hi-Fi M8 and the mini 8.  Both ways sound very good albeit slightly different sound signatures.

I'm afraid that I have to disagree.  Pairing an iPhone 6 with a great DAC/AMP like a Chord Hugo definitely sounds better.

Nov 14, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #1,684 of 1,973

I'm afraid that I have to disagree.  Pairing an iPhone 6 with a great DAC/AMP like a Chord Hugo definitely sounds better.

That's because they aren't volume matched.
Also, placebo and expectation bias.

Nov 14, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #1,685 of 1,973
I would totally agree! Tidal HiFi has the best quality out there.  Have abandoned Beats, Pandora and Apple Music in favor of Tidal HiFi.  Selection of classical and jazz is limited, but exists is of outstanding quality.  Listening on iPhone 6, with Chord Hugo DAC/AMP and JH13 ciems. 

Nov 14, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #1,687 of 1,973
[QUOTE name="shultzee" url="/t/733890/iphone-6-6-plus-audio-quality/1560#post_11759846

I have to agree with this.  Comparing music straight out of the iPhone 6 hp jack vs. using a CEntrance dac/ amp I can't honestly say which sounds better.  That goes for both Hi-Fi M8 and the mini 8.  Both ways sound very good albeit slightly different sound signatures.

[/quote]

You didnt read what I said. I said there wasnt much difference between the two CeEntrance amps and the Iphone. I have no idea what the hugo sounds like.

Dec 16, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #1,690 of 1,973
  Sound quality wise, what's the consensus, is kaisertone better than neutron?

There will never be a consensus, at least in regards to favorite music playback application, in my opinion.  Even though out of all of the applications I used, I thought that Onkyo and Neutron were the most coherent and resolving, but both may not appeal to some people's sound quality preferences.  With that said, I believe the best option for the music enthusiast is to try out a plethora of music playback applications to find out what they enjoy using the most themselves. 

Dec 16, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #1,691 of 1,973

There will never be a consensus, at least in regards to favorite music playback application, in my opinion.  Even though out of all of the applications I used, I thought that Onkyo and Neutron were the most coherent and resolving, but both may not appeal to some people's sound quality preferences.  With that said, I believe the best option for the music enthusiast is to try out a plethora of music playback applications to find out what they enjoy using the most themselves. 

I ended up purchasing both and I got to say, the Kaisertone has a warm solid state sound, almost like Amarra. It's accurate and refined. 
The Neutron has a almost tube like sound. It's more open sounding. The mids are more euphonic. 
Both are good in different ways. 

Dec 16, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #1,692 of 1,973

I ended up purchasing both and I got to say, the Kaisertone has a warm solid state sound, almost like Amarra. It's accurate and refined. 
The Neutron has a almost tube like sound. It's more open sounding. The mids are more euphonic. 
Both are good in different ways. 

Awesome!  Glad you found application(s) that suit your wants and/or needs. 
beerchug.gif

Dec 16, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #1,693 of 1,973
Just in case it hasn't been mentioned...     on the Onkyo HF app if your iphone is plugged into a DAC that supports DSD then the app switches into 64bit mode and works differently than if you plugged your phone into a non DSD DAC...

one option that gets presented to you is real time DSD conversion of all non DSD files to DSD ....  this option is presented to you with any iphone/ipad that is utilizing a 64bit processor...  for the iphone this would include iphone 5 and newer phones...

The SQ is different ( better ?? ) in 64bit mode....

I'm not sure how the other apps work but might be similar performance...

Dec 16, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #1,694 of 1,973
Nice to see all these alternative players, but I have a question

As portable music I listen to MP3 and AAC, mostly relatively high bit rate, but nonetheless compressed. As I will never listen to full redbook, or hi res, on the move then the question that I have is, is it really an improvement to run a 3rd party player over Apple's own music app?

Dec 16, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #1,695 of 1,973
  Just in case it hasn't been mentioned...     on the Onkyo HF app if your iphone is plugged into a DAC that supports DSD then the app switches into 64bit mode and works differently than if you plugged your phone into a non DSD DAC...

one option that gets presented to you is real time DSD conversion of all non DSD files to DSD ....  this option is presented to you with any iphone/ipad that is utilizing a 64bit processor...  for the iphone this would include iphone 5 and newer phones...

The SQ is different ( better ?? ) in 64bit mode....

I'm not sure how the other apps work but might be similar performance...

Neutron has a 64-Bit Processing audio mode as well, for all music being played - I keep it enabled.

Quote:
Nice to see all these alternative players, but I have a question

As portable music I listen to MP3 and AAC, mostly relatively high bit rate, but nonetheless compressed. As I will never listen to full redbook, or hi res, on the move then the question that I have is, is it really an improvement to run a 3rd party player over Apple's own music app?

That's up to you to decide.  Overall personally, I would say yes, but ultimately, let your ears be your own guide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back