Introducing VentureCraft SounDroid VALOQ [SDP-1]-Impression thread- Check second post for updates
Jan 19, 2016 at 11:59 PM Post #241 of 659
Agree.

They also offer the opa627au DIP for 39000 jpy (for two) which is also not cheap at all.
On the other hand, the only way to get the sound I want is to go for the 627.

How the progress goes with fixing the white strip?
I'm pending with a shipment of mine (actually I have pre-paid VALOQ 2 weeks ago) until this issue is clarified and the solution is found.

Jan 20, 2016 at 12:36 AM Post #242 of 659
  Agree.

They also offer the opa627au DIP for 39000 jpy (for two) which is also not cheap at all.

I'm pending with a shipment of mine (actually I have pre-paid VALOQ 2 weeks ago) until this issue is clarified and the solution is found.

I have to send mine back and it has to be shipped back to Japan, I think it is just certain batches had faulty screen..

I have been enjoying valoq with my dynamic IEM so much that I cannot isolate myself, however I feel the output impedance is a tad high and with certain of my IEM it is just too bright. 

Jan 20, 2016 at 1:34 AM Post #243 of 659
  I have to send mine back and it has to be shipped back to Japan, I think it is just certain batches had faulty screen..

I have been enjoying valoq with my dynamic IEM so much that I cannot isolate myself, however I feel the output impedance is a tad high and with certain of my IEM it is just too bright. 

You probably have already done this but have you tried varying the gain a bit? My K10 sounding a tad bright at full gain is now sounding perfect at -10. I know nothing too technical but I always bear in mind that if there's adjustable gain in a player then the best results are probably achieved by suiting a certain gain level with a certain pair of phones, especially multi BA iems which are really sensitive to this things since the different drivers in an iem may respond differently to the change in output. May not solve your problem but probably worth others noting too - The Valoq got 30 steps gain variation which is quite something (not just hi-lo settings).

Jan 20, 2016 at 1:39 AM Post #244 of 659
With the Valoq in hand and having tried all the new offerings released up to the AK380cu and the Onkyo, I still can't see why so much fuss was made to the others but its rather quiet on the Valoq front. Cos of the local marketing policy? Retro styling and control? Lack of memory options? Screen problem? Software issue?

I just know purely on sound the Valoq is a standout of the lot. And on looks (and to a certain extent to the control) I am loving mine.

(Just hope someone can say something about the white line problem with authority...........................)

Jan 20, 2016 at 1:56 AM Post #245 of 659

You probably have already done this but have you tried varying the gain a bit? My K10 sounding a tad bright at full gain is now sounding perfect at -10. I know nothing too technical but I always bear in mind that if there's adjustable gain in a player then the best results are probably achieved by suiting a certain gain level with a certain pair of phones, especially multi BA iems which are really sensitive to this things since the different drivers in an iem may respond differently to the change in output. May not solve your problem but probably worth others noting too - The Valoq got 30 steps gain variation which is quite something (not just hi-lo settings).

No to be honest I havent. I should play around with that. I really like it with dita truth and EX-1000, specially the ex-1000. 

By the way i tried the BUF634 sadly it did not work, i kept getting a low pink noise type sound. 

Jan 20, 2016 at 2:07 AM Post #246 of 659
  No to be honest I havent. I should play around with that. I really like it with dita truth and EX-1000, specially the ex-1000. 

By the way i tried the BUF634 sadly it did not work, i kept getting a low pink noise type sound. 

Too bad..........I am now living with Muses02 and is perfectly happy with them. Will not bother changing them again unless someone point me to something that'd definitely work and sound even better on the Valoq.

Jan 20, 2016 at 2:09 AM Post #247 of 659
  With the Valoq in hand and having tried all the new offerings released up to the AK380cu and the Onkyo, I still can't see why so much fuss was made to the others but its rather quiet on the Valoq front. Cos of the local marketing policy? Retro styling and control? Lack of memory options? Screen problem? Software issue?

I just know purely on sound the Valoq is a standout of the lot. And on looks (and to a certain extent to the control) I am loving mine.

(Just hope someone can say something about the white line problem with authority...........................)

There've been some others @ close prices to distract too, like the Esther M1 or the Luxury & Precision thing. Not to mention upcoming stuff like the Geek Wave and the weird Echoflask.

I've been pretty intrigued by VALOQ, I like the design and the DIY element with the op-amps and stuff is neat,  but after recent disappointment with the AK Jr, I'm kind of put off by anything that isn't fully "matured", WRT firmware & features, build quality etc...

Jan 20, 2016 at 4:20 AM Post #249 of 659

Well I have both the Valoq and the Onkyo DP-X1 (I'm still undecided about whether to keep just one of them or both), they both sound good so it naturally falls to the other aspects which makes or breaks these DAPs.  The problem is that the Valoq falls short on the important first impression side of things like UI/software/low-res screen/"premium material" and is also more expensive than the Onkyo.  The buyer has to be very drawn to its other advantages/selling point (size, Op-amp changing) for this DAP to make sense, but I think these types of selling point is not a particularly large group amongst Head-Fiers.  

Once the price point for equipment goes to levels of these DAPs then people expect more complete/well-rounded products and much less faults and "gotchas", and I think unfortunately the Valoq fails to meet this expectation for most people.  

Jan 20, 2016 at 5:21 AM Post #250 of 659

Well I have both the Valoq and the Onkyo DP-X1 (I'm still undecided about whether to keep just one of them or both), they both sound good so it naturally falls to the other aspects which makes or breaks these DAPs.  The problem is that the Valoq falls short on the important first impression side of things like UI/software/low-res screen/"premium material" and is also more expensive than the Onkyo.  The buyer has to be very drawn to its other advantages/selling point (size, Op-amp changing) for this DAP to make sense, but I think these types of selling point is not a particularly large group amongst Head-Fiers.  

Once the price point for equipment goes to levels of these DAPs then people expect more complete/well-rounded products and much less faults and "gotchas", and I think unfortunately the Valoq fails to meet this expectation for most people.  

You got a point there about the first impression thing, but I am one (probably just me) that's particularly drawn to the Valoq's form factor and build and materials used. AND THE VERY IMPORTANT FACT that it looks nothing like a smartphone. A must for me.

The UI is questionable but acceptable. And the sound O the sound..........THAT screams premium into my ears. On the other hand the Onkyo didn't really impressed me on the sound front - it's good, very good indeed, but it's nothing special when comparing with the existing players e.g. the AK120ii I already have. For people who got no high quality DAP in hand yet the Onkyo may be a very attractive option, but for those who already lives in the AK world long enough to be wondering who else can do something better at a lower price, the Valoq is almighty impressive. TBH I am not someone who can live with its flaws forever, but even with that in mind I still find it mighty impressive thanks to the sound.

Jan 20, 2016 at 5:36 AM Post #251 of 659

You got a point there about the first impression thing, but I am one (probably just me) that's particularly drawn to the Valoq's form factor and build and materials used. AND THE VERY IMPORTANT FACT that it looks nothing like a smartphone. A must for me.

+1, also, buttons.

Jan 20, 2016 at 6:16 AM Post #252 of 659
  Agree.

My RMA just got shipped, so I will know in a week or so.

Could be, but I think that's more of an IEM matching rather than the DAPs fault.

Jan 20, 2016 at 6:18 AM Post #253 of 659

Exactly, and this is why the Valoq is really the dark horse of mid-higher end DAP for 2015-16.

Jan 20, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #254 of 659
VentureCraft just tweeted that they will release a new firmware tomorrow afternoon( Should be Japan time zone) . Get ready for any improvement or bug fix .
ksc75smile.gif

Jan 21, 2016 at 5:11 AM Post #255 of 659
  VentureCraft just tweeted that they will release a new firmware tomorrow afternoon( Should be Japan time zone) . Get ready for any improvement or bug fix .
ksc75smile.gif

Best news of 2016 so far

Users who are viewing this thread

Back