Introducing the new Continental V5 portable tube amp
Nov 1, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #543 of 867
How the Mullard 6112 Sq with CV5?

Haven't had a chance to swap them. Am testing the CDM with the Vega's in balanced mode so want to keep the Mullards in the CDM for now before I swap one of the tubes into the CV5. Cheers 

Nov 1, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #545 of 867
  Would love to hear your opinion on Vega + CV5 + Mojo vs Vega + CDM

CV5+Mojo+Vega = Portable heaven. You are in the music, wherever you are. Very involving and enjoyable. 

CDM+Mojo+Vega = Even deeper immersion, but definitely better in balanced mode, which kicks it a notch or so (IMO of course) above the CV5. However, it's not really good for portable use IME. 

Cavalli LAu+Vega = Another angle of great immersion, but with the directness of SS versus the taste of tubes from the CDM. As always, I love both, and switch between them.

Cheers  

Nov 1, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #546 of 867
Hmm would think the CV5 / Mojo combo would outperform the CDM since it's basically the same amp section with the improved DAC of the mojo. I'm currently looking again for a nice portable setup to use with the Andromeda but there are so few good options out there. So far my favorite has been the Audioquest Dragonfly Red but that could get a bit bright sounding at times. The AK70 sounds better but the TIDAL integration sucks so now I'm looking for a amp & DAC to just use with my iPhone.

Nov 1, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #547 of 867
Hmm would think the CV5 / Mojo combo would outperform the CDM since it's basically the same amp section with the improved DAC of the mojo. I'm currently looking again for a nice portable setup to use with the Andromeda but there are so few good options out there. So far my favorite has been the Audioquest Dragonfly Red but that could get a bit bright sounding at times. The AK70 sounds better but the TIDAL integration sucks so now I'm looking for a amp & DAC to just use with my iPhone.

Ah, great point and my mistake! I was actually feeding the CDM with the Mojo as well. Will correct my prior post. Thanks

Nov 1, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #548 of 867
Ah, great point and my mistake! I was actually feeding the CDM with the Mojo as well. Will correct my prior post. Thanks
Ah I see. That sounds nice but a bit impractical for me at least. I don't think I could fit an iPhone , mojo and CDM all in one pocket, lol

Nov 1, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #549 of 867
  CV5+Mojo+Vega = Portable heaven. You are in the music, wherever you are. Very involving and enjoyable. 

CDM+Mojo+Vega = Even deeper immersion, but definitely better in balanced mode, which kicks it a notch or so (IMO of course) above the CV5. However, it's not really good for portable use IME. 

Cavalli LAu+Vega = Another angle of great immersion, but with the directness of SS versus the taste of tubes from the CDM. As always, I love both, and switch between them.

Cheers  

Thanks, very helpful. Do you still have the Cavalli Liquid Carbon? How does the Mojo+CV5 compare to the Mojo+LC?
I wish the LAu was doable with my budget, but also eh..availability is somewhat limited and it's highly un-portable 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 8, 2016 at 8:52 AM Post #550 of 867
Just received my Continental V5, excellent amp and I really liked the sound. The build quality is superb, have a lot of power to drive everything I have. Matched very well with Mojo too. :)

Some pics (sorry for my other toy there) :wink:

Nov 8, 2016 at 8:59 AM Post #551 of 867
Just received my Continental V5, excellent amp and I really liked the sound. The build quality is superb, have a lot of power to drive everything I have. Matched very well with Mojo too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Some pics (sorry for my other toy there)
wink.gif

Cool pics 
wink.gif

Nov 14, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #554 of 867
Does anybody happen to know when the Raytheon 6832 is expected to be back in stock on the Alo store? It's no longer available since a couple of weeks already... not sure if I should wait for it to be again available or just place an order for the GE 6021. I'd gladly buy both together, rather than placing two separate orders.

Nov 14, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #555 of 867
  Does anybody happen to know when the Raytheon 6832 is expected to be back in stock on the Alo store? It's no longer available since a couple of weeks already... not sure if I should wait for it to be again available or just place an order for the GE 6021. I'd gladly buy both together, rather than placing two separate orders.

It's hard to say. Ken usually puts up all the tubes he has and is always on the lookout for more. Sourcing quantities of certain of these NOS tubes is not easy or cheap. 

Regarding the Raytheon 6832's, you can find them for sale at places like eBay. There's someone who is selling matched pairs for only ~$7. You can then get the mini-circuit boards from Ken at ALO and make your own, if you're a little talented with a soldering iron. 

Cheers 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back