Introducing the new Continental V5 portable tube amp
Oct 20, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #526 of 867
Hi,

Just as suspected, the 6832 tube did not produce the tube characteristics like 6111 or 6021.
I swapped out the 6832 last night for the 2nd time and listened to again.
DoNT like it sound.
Same thing from , Nathan, the reviewer stated.
With 6832, it's like Rx but stronger. It sounds like solid state with 6832.
Well, going back GE 6021 tonight for sure.

Oct 20, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #527 of 867
Looks like I need to crack open the CDM and try one of the Mullards in the CV5!

Oct 20, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #528 of 867
Looks like I need to crack open the CDM and try one of the Mullards in the CV5!

Got a spare one for sale?
Sounds if you want to hear old style tubey sound then u need to use low output tube.
Ray website said 6832 is medium output tube.

So. 6111, 6112, 6021 or under are low output which is great match for old tube sound.
I guess my hearing is not old yet.

Oct 20, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #529 of 867
Hi,

Just as suspected, the 6832 tube did not produce the tube characteristics like 6111 or 6021.
I swapped out the 6832 last night for the 2nd time and listened to again.
DoNT like it sound.
Same thing from , Nathan, the reviewer stated.
With 6832, it's like Rx but stronger. It sounds like solid state with 6832.

Unless we are talking about the CDM, about which I did write, Headfonia's review was written by Lieven. I've only heard pre-production units of the CV5 at Fujiya Avic's show back in May. 

Oct 22, 2016 at 9:57 PM Post #532 of 867
Hi Ken, i thought we get genuine leather case for every CV5 purchase??
I just got mine today, but no leather case?!
Or is there something i missed?

I also got mine without a leather case... Not sure what was the deal about the leather case, since the CV5 user leaflet does not provide a clear list of the accessories included in the package. My CV5 arrived in a packaging identical to the RX one. The accessories box included the following: one mesh nylon pouch, two rubber bands, one standard USB cable and one power supply.

Is the leather case meant to be part of the standard pack of accessories that is provided with the Continental v5?

The missing leather case is not a deal breaker of course... since I'm really impressed by the CV5, starting from its build quality, which is really of a much higher level when comparing it to the RX. It looks beautiful and feel amazingly sturdy! I will certainly get back with more comments on the actual sound qualities of this new gem from Alo Audio. For the moment, I'd just like to point out that - in my opinion - the review on Headfonia is strangely too dismissive (if I may say so) and nitpicking on aspects that are far away from the initial and very positive impression I got from this compact but powerful and musical amp.

Back to the leather case... I'd be more than happy to order one if it's indeed an optional accessory that requires a separate purchase, since it looks really nice and worth having one. I'd just like to get more precise infos, so as to understand whether it's inclusion in the first batch of orders was a special limited offer or if it is really meant to be provided with every CV5.

Oct 22, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #533 of 867
For the moment, I'd just like to point out that - in my opinion - the review on Headfonia is strangely too dismissive (if I may say so) and nitpicking on aspects that are far away from the initial and very positive impression I got from this compact but powerful and musical amp.

Totally agree. The CV5 is an amazing amp for its size, weight and price IMHO. I got to it more often than my CDM lately. Cheers 

Oct 23, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #534 of 867
I also got mine without a leather case... Not sure what was the deal about the leather case, since the CV5 user leaflet does not provide a clear list of the accessories included in the package. My CV5 arrived in a packaging identical to the RX one. The accessories box included the following: one mesh nylon pouch, two rubber bands, one standard USB cable and one power supply.

Is the leather case meant to be part of the standard pack of accessories that is provided with the Continental v5?

The missing leather case is not a deal breaker of course... since I'm really impressed by the CV5, starting from its build quality, which is really of a much higher level when comparing it to the RX. It looks beautiful and feel amazingly sturdy! I will certainly get back with more comments on the actual sound qualities of this new gem from Alo Audio. For the moment, I'd just like to point out that - in my opinion - the review on Headfonia is strangely too dismissive (if I may say so) and nitpicking on aspects that are far away from the initial and very positive impression I got from this compact but powerful and musical amp.

Back to the leather case... I'd be more than happy to order one if it's indeed an optional accessory that requires a separate purchase, since it looks really nice and worth having one. I'd just like to get more precise infos, so as to understand whether it's inclusion in the first batch of orders was a special limited offer or if it is really meant to be provided with every CV5.

Ken mentioned in this thread the leather came with it during preordered price only.

Oct 23, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #535 of 867
Ken mentioned in this thread the leather came with it during preordered price only.

Many thanks for clarifying this point

I actually had the impression the leather case was a special bonus for those who preordered before the official release date of the CV5. Anyway, hope Alo will make the case available as a separate purchase, since it really looks nice and a perfect match to the CV5!

Thanks again!

Oct 31, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #536 of 867

Looks like the GE 6021 is the tube you like the most!

Guess I will place an order soon, although I'm still intrigued by the 6832 as well, which is currently no longer available!
I was also wondering if the Phillips 6111WA on the Alo shop is exactly the same tube as the stock 6111 that comes with the CV5.

So far, I'm literally amazed by the CV5!!! It is astonishingly musical, well balanced with a slight and truly enjoyable warm background, and an incredible low noise at the high gain level that can perfectly rival with the well known and highly regarded Vorzuge Pure II+. The CV5 has finally merged into one single portable amp the imaging, soundscape and musicality of the Alo RX, with the technicality and high performance of the Vorzuge Pure II+. Until today, I've been split between my RX (which I've always considered superior in terms of overall musical rendition) and my Pure II+, representing one of the undeniable terms of reference for those who put on the benchmark table the pure audio qualities and technical performance of a portable amp.

The CV5 seems to brilliantly merge the qualities of these two portable amps into one! The more I listen to the CV5, the more I'm impressed by this new GEM by Alo Audio! Amazingly brilliant and highly performing, in such a conveniently small form factor that makes it simply perfect for those (like me) who are always on the go...

Nov 1, 2016 at 3:21 AM Post #538 of 867
It seems that the 6021's have an edge in soundstage even compared to the 6832. I have the GE, but i prefer the Raytheon (I think it is a Raytheon 6021 that i got from alo for my CDM. It has no markings).

Nov 1, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #540 of 867
I believe tube with no marking is Ray 6111. I have six of those.

Well I double checked my orders with Alo and I got both the 6111 and the 6021 and I have been able to find the Raytheon  6021 with marking, so you are correct... My comment on the 6021 does not stands then :) I spent a lot of time doing tube rolling the other day and I did tried the 6021 Raytheon too then (I tried al my tubes including the GE and Mullard 6021 (do not have the Mullard 6112)). But the 6011 seems to be (to my ears) the preferred one for the moment... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back