Introducing the new Continental V5 portable tube amp
Dec 5, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #572 of 867
  Contemplating if I should get the 6832 tubes for my Continental. :)

Hi, if I may, I would suggest to keep using the CV5 as much as possible in stock version to get to know it in every possible detail and explore its potential with any genre or condition rather that immediately look for upgrading the tube.
It is my own an humble opinion of course. However this little gem of an amp is such a joy to use that I prefer to enjoy it as it is before considering tube rolling.

In case you decide differently, make sure you post your opinion here... 
redface.gif

Have a good day.
Alessandro

Dec 5, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #573 of 867
  Hi, if I may, I would suggest to keep using the CV5 as much as possible in stock version to get to know it in every possible detail and explore its potential with any genre or condition rather that immediately look for upgrading the tube.
It is my own an humble opinion of course. However this little gem of an amp is such a joy to use that I prefer to enjoy it as it is before considering tube rolling.

All in all, I certainly agree with your comments on the CV5 and the suggestion to enjoy the built-in qualities of this wonderful amp with its stock tube, without being too anxious of experimenting with the changes in sound signature attainable through tube rolling.

The CV5 certainly sounds great with the stock 6111 tube! No doubts about it, since my initial listening sessions!

However, postponing the purchase of the additional tubes currently available on the Alo store for the CV5 might not be the best idea either, since most of these sub mini tubes are no longer in production, thus making it always more difficult to find new or used ones as the time passes by.

I was myself not aware of how much difficult it is to locate new (or even used) stock for these tubes. I only realized on the occasion of an order placed for both the 6832 and the GE6021 late November, since I was notified by Alo that the GE6021 was actually and unexpectedly out of stock only while my order was being processed for shipment.

As always, Ken was very supportive and he kindly explained the difficulty, frustration and struggle of going through the acquisition of new mini tubes. I wouldn't be surprised if this is a service that Alo might be forced to discontinue in the future, since it is really time consuming.

At the moment, I luckily have one 6832 reserved for my pending order, waiting to hopefully get good news about the GE6021 so that - in the best case scenario - they will be shipped together (a lot of wishful thinking here, but I'm not in a hurry!).

Not to mention the convenience of ordering the spare CV5 tubes directly from Alo for those lacking the required soldering skills, since the tube comes already installed on the proper PCB, which makes the whole tube rolling much easier!

So, to recap, yes... the Alo CV5 sounds GREAT with the stock 6111 tube, which might well prove to be the configuration the majority of us will ever need... or prefer in the end. However, for those willing to indulge themselves with some tube rolling, it is probably advisable to act as quickly as possible, since it could be too late in the (near) future.

... I still hope to get good news on the GE6021... I'll keep my fingers crossed! :)

Cheers,
Marco

Dec 5, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #574 of 867
Hi everyone!

I´m wondering how does the 3.5mm single end of alo audio continental V5 and even Rx compares to the 2.5mm balanced of my ak70.
Does it bring any sonic improvement? I always listen to my music through the 2.5mm. Better detail and separation. Also the bass gets more defined.
I know the CDM would be a better balanced pairing but i find it to big for on the go usage.
Thanks!

Dec 6, 2016 at 3:28 AM Post #575 of 867

However, postponing the purchase of the additional tubes currently available on the Alo store for the CV5 might not be the best idea either, since most of these sub mini tubes are no longer in production, thus making it always more difficult to find new or used ones as the time passes by.

As always, Ken was very supportive and he kindly explained the difficulty, frustration and struggle of going through the acquisition of new mini tubes. I wouldn't be surprised if this is a service that Alo might be forced to discontinue in the future, since it is really time consuming.

Cheers,
Marco

Hi Marco, I see your point and I can share your approach. Good luck for your search!
Bye
Alessandro

Dec 6, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #576 of 867
Hi everyone!

I´m wondering how does the 3.5mm single end of alo audio continental V5 and even Rx compares to the 2.5mm balanced of my ak70.
Does it bring any sonic improvement? I always listen to my music through the 2.5mm. Better detail and separation. Also the bass gets more defined.
I know the CDM would be a better balanced pairing but i find it to big for on the go usage.
Thanks!

Cv5 paired with what compared to AK70? The source is what really matters.

Dec 7, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #577 of 867
Cv5 paired with what compared to AK70? The source is what really matters.

Cv5 paired with ak70. Like that you get the 3.5mm out from the Cv5. Wondering how does that compare to ak70 2.5mm alone.

Dec 7, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #580 of 867
ak70 have line out.

Is it implemented as a switch or just unity gain through the amp stage? Bottom line, I don't think your question is an apples to apples comparison... So it's not fair to say Cv5 in the loop would give poorer performance.

That said, solid state designs have less distortion and better performance than tube designs in general. People don't typically buy tube amplifiers strictly for audio performance. They do it because it might sound more pleasing to them.

Dec 7, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #581 of 867
Is it implemented as a switch or just unity gain through the amp stage? Bottom line, I don't think your question is an apples to apples comparison... So it's not fair to say Cv5 in the loop would give poorer performance.

That said, solid state designs have less distortion and better performance than tube designs in general. People don't typically buy tube amplifiers strictly for audio performance. They do it because it might sound more pleasing to them.

Astell & Kern says Ak´s output is made by the DAC that controles the volume. Max volume = line out.
This is not a true line out I guess... 
My question is regarding the ak70 2.5mm balanced out vs ak70+cv5 3.5mm single ended.
When I tried both, I could immediately hear the difference between the balanced vs single ended outputs from the ak70. The balanced one is so much more refined and detailed...

Dec 7, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #582 of 867
Astell & Kern says Ak´s output is made by the DAC that controles the volume. Max volume = line out.
This is not a true line out I guess... 
My question is regarding the ak70 2.5mm balanced out vs ak70+cv5 3.5mm single ended.
When I tried both, I could immediately hear the difference between the balanced vs single ended outputs from the ak70. The balanced one is so much more refined and detailed...

:rolleyes:

Okay... Sounds like you already made your choice.

Dec 7, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #583 of 867
rolleyes.gif

Okay... Sounds like you already made your choice.

normal_smile .gif

The thing is, I never heard ak70 + cv5.
My comparison is only between the 2 outputs of the ak70. One being balanced and the other being single end.
I thought based on some reviews I read about cv5, that this amp added some more detail in the bass and a more spacious and airy sound to the ak70 player.

Yes, I much prefer the balanced out. But still, I was wondering if the ak70 paired with cv5, even being single ended, that could be even better than the 2.5 balanced out from the ak70.

Dec 7, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #585 of 867
This statement is misleading then. Sorry, I think I'm just not understanding the question. I'll back out and let someone else answer.

Sorry. You are right. Sorry for my poor English.
I only tried the 2 different outputs of the ak70. 
My question is:
If anyone tried ak70+cv5 VS ak70 balanced out.

Sorry to cause misunderstanding :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back