Intime SORA: Giant killer IEMs from Japan?
Aug 30, 2023 at 9:05 AM Post #976 of 1,037
Just read that, based on your description I think the originals would appeal to me more as well.

Wow you're right, second hand original Miyabi are dirt cheap on e-earphone. I also found brand new OG Miyabi for 17k yen elsewhere, a whole 10k cheaper than a brand new Mark II. I guess it's a no brainer to go for the original then.

Thanks for the help!
There's a B-rank og Miyabi on e-earphone for less than half that ... :wink:

Aug 31, 2023 at 7:55 PM Post #978 of 1,037
Miyabi - higher quality, more neutral tuning
Kira MK-II - higher quality, brighter tuning
Sho DD - higher quality, more V-shaped
Can you elaborate more on Miyabi being more neutral than Sora Light 2019? Less bass or is there more nuance to it?

Sep 3, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #980 of 1,037
Less bass and treble, more flatter tuning
Thanks that's helpful. Is it that even Miyabi II, which is brighter than Miyabi I according to previous posts, is darker than Sora Light?

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2023 at 12:09 PM Post #981 of 1,037
Here's something for you

Miyabi-II are quite similar to Miyabi as expected, but differences do apply.
Mk-II have somewhat faster bass.
Mids also have slightly faster transients and are less upfront (although not recessed).
The timbre is dryer and cleaner, and perceivably less warm. That's the very first impact you have when you hear them, after being accustomed to original Miyabi.
Treble note weight is not thinner on Mk-II, so highmids and trebles are still beautifully pleasant, perfectly compromised between detail and body and, due the lesser warmth from the mids going down, they come out even more vivid than on original Miyabi, while they still stay free from metallic sheen, sibilance or fatiguance.
Layering and separation are fundamentally on par between the two models.
Original Miyabi have a more "personal", "analogue" identity, probably due to the warmer timbre, and deliver better microdynamics. MK-II sound more neutral, uncolored, cleaner/clearer and due to that they deliver (even better) imaging/macrodynamics.

I don't see Mk-ii as an "absolute upgrade" to original Miyabi, rather two different variations of a same signature dish. Either one may be preferred depending on the music being played or the mood of the day.

Hope this helps... :)
May I ask if you had used the same cable in this comparison, or if you had used stock for both?

Sep 4, 2023 at 11:35 AM Post #983 of 1,037
May I ask if you had used the same cable in this comparison, or if you had used stock for both?

Stock cable is a bit tragic soundwise to be honest (and I shared my impression with them).
On both I used Dunu DUW-02S
A much cheaper alternative (which takes some layering off, and adds some body <300Hz - which depending on musical genre may also be unwelcome) is NiceHCK C8-1

Sep 12, 2023 at 3:30 AM Post #984 of 1,037
Nov 23, 2023 at 10:46 PM Post #985 of 1,037
Lately I've been on a j-fi trip and getting forgotten gems from the likes of sony like the ex800st and xba a3 when I came across intime. They've crossed my radar several times in the past but I never got around to wanting to get a pair from. Now I'm really looking to get into this brand and am looking at getting one of the higher offerings, either the ti3 edition2's or the sho dd. Which one between the two should I get? They seem to be using the same drivers and technology so I'm guessing it's mostly tuning that's going to differentiate them. Anybody here who own or have heard the two can chime in?

Nov 23, 2023 at 11:50 PM Post #986 of 1,037
Lately I've been on a j-fi trip and getting forgotten gems from the likes of sony like the ex800st and xba a3 when I came across intime. They've crossed my radar several times in the past but I never got around to wanting to get a pair from. Now I'm really looking to get into this brand and am looking at getting one of the higher offerings, either the ti3 edition2's or the sho dd. Which one between the two should I get? They seem to be using the same drivers and technology so I'm guessing it's mostly tuning that's going to differentiate them. Anybody here who own or have heard the two can chime in?

My opinion, the best tuning is the original intime sora (or sora light, if the original sora is too hard to find now), non shouty pinna gain, non bleeding mid bass, great upper trebles extension. The rest may have better resolution with high mids boost but suffer from mid bass bleed, too thick or too warm upper bass, etc.

*edit typo

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2023 at 12:12 AM Post #987 of 1,037
My opinion, the best tuning is the original intime sora (or sora light, if the original sora is too hard to find now), non shouty pinna gain, non bleeding mid bass, great upper trebles extension. The rest may have better resolution with high mids bass but suffer from mid bass bleed, too thick or too warm upper bass, etc.
Having owned a few Intimes I agree with this assessment. The Sora Light is where it started and (should have) ended for me.

Nov 24, 2023 at 12:36 AM Post #988 of 1,037
Well wouldn't you know it, I actually already went ahead and grabbed myself a used balanced sora og from buyee yesterday:smile_phones:. I'm actually looking for one good tuning pair and one good resolution pair from this company, so that was mainly why I was asking, as I've actually got quite a few good tuned sets that I already own and enjoy so right now I'm focusing more on looking for technicalities. I'm probably going to go sho since both look to be fairly similarly v-shaped, and Sho has a detachable cable and is the newer one.

Nov 24, 2023 at 1:04 AM Post #989 of 1,037
Well wouldn't you know it, I actually already went ahead and grabbed myself a used balanced sora og from buyee yesterday:smile_phones:. I'm actually looking for one good tuning pair and one good resolution pair from this company, so that was mainly why I was asking, as I've actually got quite a few good tuned sets that I already own and enjoy so right now I'm focusing more on looking for technicalities. I'm probably going to go sho since both look to be fairly similarly v-shaped, and Sho has a detachable cable and is the newer one.

Nice that you can find one, technicalities is decent but not the best with Sora, but it has the balance musicality and quite good technicalities, especially for the price. Tuning is best for budget set, i say better than most other budget to midfi sets, and they tuned it nicely without nylon paper damper on nozzle, means they are more open and not overdampened. It's indeed a treasure

Nov 25, 2023 at 10:38 PM Post #990 of 1,037
Never had any tonal issues from intime.
For techs, prolly the higher end one is better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back