iFi iDSD Micro VS Chord HUGO
Jul 30, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #123 of 163

Hugo.  Hands down.

Not by much. I have both, and can't tell the difference when I swap between them.

I prefer the Hugo as a home DAC plugged into my full size amp, but I prefer the ifi when travelling. It's also a lot cheaper, so if I damage it, or lose it, it can be easily and cheaply replaced compared to the Hugo.

If budget is an issue, then go for the ifi. I don't think you would lose sleep wondering if you should've gone for the Hugo instead.

Jul 30, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #124 of 163
I had both. They were on my desk for the duration of 6 months.  Now I only keep the Hugo.

The difference while not huge, is significantly appreciable.  Hugo's soundstaging while a little smaller compared to the iFi sounds more natural.  The increase in dimensions of the soundstage out of the iFi appeared to be too artificial.  

Then there is the bass texture of the Hugo.  iFi couldn't touch that part - not even with a ten-foot pole.  As to the rest, objectively speaking, it becomes a toss: hinging on personal preference.

Given the relative portability of the Hugo compared to the rectangular trapezoidal shape of the iFi, the former is just way more stacking-friendly.

Just my two cents.

smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 2, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #125 of 163

Not by much. I have both, and can't tell the difference when I swap between them.

I prefer the Hugo as a home DAC plugged into my full size amp, but I prefer the ifi when travelling. It's also a lot cheaper, so if I damage it, or lose it, it can be easily and cheaply replaced compared to the Hugo.

If budget is an issue, then go for the ifi. I don't think you would lose sleep wondering if you should've gone for the Hugo instead.

May I know what kind of headphone did you use when comparing Hugo with Ifi Micro?

Aug 2, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #126 of 163
  I had both. They were on my desk for the duration of 6 months.  Now I only keep the Hugo.

The difference while not huge, is significantly appreciable.  Hugo's soundstaging while a little smaller compared to the iFi sounds more natural.  The increase in dimensions of the soundstage out of the iFi appeared to be too artificial.  

Then there is the bass texture of the Hugo.  iFi couldn't touch that part - not even with a ten-foot pole.  As to the rest, objectively speaking, it becomes a toss: hinging on personal preference.

Given the relative portability of the Hugo compared to the rectangular trapezoidal shape of the iFi, the former is just way more stacking-friendly.

Just my two cents.

smily_headphones1.gif

May I know what kind of headphone did you use when comparing Hugo with Ifi Micro?

Aug 2, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #131 of 163

Just my two cents.

smily_headphones1.gif

Pretty surprised about the soundstage thing. My friend's getting an iFi in the near future so he'll try to mock the Hugo for that I guess.

Aug 2, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #132 of 163
Haha I thought so. My ears think the same I believe...

I prefer the Hugo acting purely as portable dac. If I add an amp to my stack... Then it becomes a whole different thing. It is in this kind of setup that the Hugo is superior to the rest of the portable dac.

Pretty surprised about the soundstage thing. My friend's getting an iFi in the near future so he'll try to mock the Hugo for that I guess.

Ever heard the Sony NWZ-F887 soft tweak to create that larger soundstage effect? It sounds so artificial. That was the same feel I got from the iFi.

Aug 2, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #133 of 163
I prefer the Hugo acting purely as portable dac. If I add an amp to my stack... Then it becomes a whole different thing. It is in this kind of setup that the Hugo is superior to the rest of the portable dac.
Ever heard the Sony NWZ-F887 soft tweak to create that larger soundstage effect? It sounds so artificial. That was the same feel I got from the iFi.

I followed your posts about the HD800 + Hugo synergy on the Hugo thread elsewhere so I do get what you're talking about. I am yet to have tried an external amp though.

About the Sony player and the soundstage, I try to stay away from any Sony device/headphone. But yes I can guess what're you're saying but I'll know for sure once my friend gets it and I can compare versus my Hugo I guess. But I do love the crossover and the soundstaging of the Hugo because it's quite unique and musically involving. It makes it easier to listen to music for me.

One question I got in case you can talk about this over private messaging because this is off-topic: I am burning my Hugo in atm and I am around the 30-40 hour mark. While it has been a while since I demo-ed the Hugo at the store before getting mine, I feel like at times that the soundstage is smaller than it was (slightly) and that it is getting bigger and bigger as it's becoming burned in. Can you recall your memory back to when you got yours and say if you had the same experience as mine or not? It might be my brain adjusting of course but you never can know for sure.
Thank you.

Aug 2, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #134 of 163
I followed your posts about the HD800 + Hugo synergy on the Hugo thread elsewhere so I do get what you're talking about. I am yet to have tried an external amp though.

About the Sony player and the soundstage, I try to stay away from any Sony device/headphone. But yes I can guess what're you're saying but I'll know for sure once my friend gets it and I can compare versus my Hugo I guess. But I do love the crossover and the soundstaging of the Hugo because it's quite unique and musically involving. It makes it easier to listen to music for me.

One question I got in case you can talk about this over private messaging because this is off-topic: I am burning my Hugo in atm and I am around the 30-40 hour mark. While it has been a while since I demo-ed the Hugo at the store before getting mine, I feel like at times that the soundstage is smaller than it was (slightly) and that it is getting bigger and bigger as it's becoming burned in. Can you recall your memory back to when you got yours and say if you had the same experience as mine or not? It might be my brain adjusting of course but you never can know for sure.
Thank you.

Could be placebo sir.

There are only two distinct sounds I've heard from about 7 different Hugos I've auditioned in the last 9 months.

The Hugo with the old firmware that does not connect with an Android mobile phone and the new ones which can act as a plug and play dac to an Android phone.

The old one has a larger soundstage.

Aug 2, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #135 of 163
Could be placebo sir.

There are only two distinct sounds I've heard from about 7 different Hugos I've auditioned in the last 9 months.

The Hugo with the old firmware that does not connect with an Android mobile phone and the new ones which can act as a plug and play dac to an Android phone.

The old one has a larger soundstage.

Wow. I never knew there was a new firmware. I guess that might be it because mine is the newest one while the one I demo-ed was the first generation Hugo.
I think a larger soundstage is a pro not a con. Why would they decrease soundstage but not change anything else with the new version? That sounds like a bad thing to me.
Thank you for the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back