iFi iDSD Micro VS Chord HUGO
Apr 29, 2015 at 4:23 AM Post #107 of 163
At 499 bucks in the U.S ,there is no dac that can touch it . Awesome dac .

Is 90 percent of the Hugo at 1/4 of the price .

you are wrong. ifi idsd is NOT 90 percent of hugo... 

Ifi idsd micro <!> Chord hugo.

Simply like this.

they are opposites. 

hugo has oversampling with upsampling where ifi idsd sounds best as bit perfect, and upsampling done in computer.

between the two, you have to listen to say which is best.

I would put my money on idsd if i was using software for resampling.

Ifi idsd can be worth as much as hugo, not 90% if used with the right software. It all depends on the user, comparing them is not fine, both have a unique, interesting sound.

Apr 29, 2015 at 4:45 AM Post #108 of 163
yup..both have unique opposite sound..however for micro idsd i prefer not upsampling to DSD 512...it sounds too smooth and loss of musicality...

non upsampling with bitperfect sounds best in my system

Apr 29, 2015 at 5:58 AM Post #109 of 163
Why upsample at all? Look at dacs like the metrum. NOS = non-over-sampling.

Apr 29, 2015 at 6:13 AM Post #110 of 163
Why upsample at all? Look at dacs like the metrum. NOS = non-over-sampling.

upsampling takes some stress off the interpolation filter.

upsampling, if done right, can improove SQ, based on the fact that some samples are not situated in the peak of a sine, so sometimes, some height of the sine can be lost because there were not enough samples, and if the dac does not interpolate using a good algorithm.

Apr 29, 2015 at 6:49 AM Post #111 of 163
  upsampling takes some stress off the interpolation filter.

upsampling, if done right, can improove SQ, based on the fact that some samples are not situated in the peak of a sine, so sometimes, some height of the sine can be lost because there were not enough samples, and if the dac does not interpolate using a good algorithm.

This is quite true but until recently upsampling algorithms weren't so good. This is one reason why audiophiles and manufacturers were promoting NOS dacs (and R2R ones particularly expensives).
Consider also that delta-sigma chips are one bit converters internally. Doing so kind of DSP. News algorithms are very good. Look at NAGRA HD or PS Audio DirectStream DACs and HQPlayer as a software. Better than JRiver.

Apr 29, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #112 of 163

This is quite true but until recently upsampling algorithms weren't so good. This is one reason why audiophiles and manufacturers were promoting NOS dacs (and R2R ones particularly expensives).
Consider also that delta-sigma chips are one bit converters internally. Doing so kind of DSP. News algorithms are very good. Look at NAGRA HD or PS Audio DirectStream DACs and HQPlayer as a software. Better than JRiver.

totally.

I had not mentioned this in here, but i am working at a software for this, myself. 

It is a hard work, i need founding to buy a laptop, to be able to compile the software, my actual one cannot compile. 

I might not be able to get any money out of my work because most of my profits will need to be payed to the investor, but i really do hope that i get to finish the project, simply because i want a better sounding app, and my algorithms are created with a new design.

May 4, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #113 of 163
  totally.

I had not mentioned this in here, but i am working at a software for this, myself. 

It is a hard work, i need founding to buy a laptop, to be able to compile the software, my actual one cannot compile. 

I might not be able to get any money out of my work because most of my profits will need to be payed to the investor, but i really do hope that i get to finish the project, simply because i want a better sounding app, and my algorithms are created with a new design.

The wealth and breadth of talent that I meet here NEVER ceases to astound me!  Some of the stuff discussed "commonly" here was pure science fiction a year or more ago!

You guys are all amazing....

May 5, 2015 at 4:57 AM Post #114 of 163

The wealth and breadth of talent that I meet here NEVER ceases to astound me!  Some of the stuff discussed "commonly" here was pure science fiction a year or more ago!

You guys are all amazing....

Thanks a lot for the kind words!

Head-fi is indeed a place where pretty interesting things are discussed.

I invite you to my thread! link in the signature!

May 5, 2015 at 5:11 AM Post #115 of 163
I invite you to my thread! link in the signature!

Your link:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/765334/i-am-building-an-ideal-music-playback-software-windows-mac-android-iphone-linux-elegant-user-interface-high-resolution-resampling-algorithm-created-by-me

takes me here:
http://www.head-fi.org/f/46/computer-audio

Sorry, but the thread you linked does not exist.

Tried searching for your thread, but no luck.

May 5, 2015 at 5:21 AM Post #116 of 163

Your link:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/765334/i-am-building-an-ideal-music-playback-software-windows-mac-android-iphone-linux-elegant-user-interface-high-resolution-resampling-algorithm-created-by-me

takes me here:
http://www.head-fi.org/f/46/computer-audio

Sorry, but the thread you linked does not exist.

Tried searching for your thread, but no luck.

My link should be fixed now, sorry, no more head-fi main posting place, as it breaks the rules.

May 5, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #117 of 163
  My link should be fixed now, sorry, no more head-fi main posting place, as it breaks the rules.

You should also take a look at a new promising audio player called Dopamine. Maybe you can collaborate with the author of tha project and see what you guys can come up with. Personally, it's too big for my liking, but it appears most members there like it.

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1246136-dopamine/

Jun 26, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #118 of 163
For anyone that's curious I'll have both a HUGO and iFi next week to use with my Fostex TH900 :)

Jun 26, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #119 of 163
Jun 26, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #120 of 163
Hey, according to many others here on head fi and over on another computer audio thread, the micro Dsd does not give anything away to the Hugo. Both are very good machines. If you like a "samey" sound, then the hugo is the one to go for. As it seems the same Up/OverSampling with 10,000 taps makes all things sound very nice but very samey. the micro DSD goes for a more 'truthful' handlung of the music as it does things bit perfect. So if you like raw food, micro is more to your taste. But if you like it cooked with salt and MSG, then the hugo is the better bet. This is before we discuss the price. For sure the hugo has the better bling factor as its sticker price is much higher. Try both and see if you come to the same or a different conclusion as others. I can confirm i have similar findings even though I have only borrowed my friend's hugo to put up against my micro dsd. Both are very good machines on their own. have fun buddy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back