iFi iDSD Micro VS Chord HUGO
Aug 2, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #136 of 163
Wow. I never knew there was a new firmware. I guess that might be it because mine is the newest one while the one I demo-ed was the first generation Hugo.
I think a larger soundstage is a pro not a con. Why would they decrease soundstage but not change anything else with the new version? That sounds like a bad thing to me.
Thank you for the info.

But the bass out of the new batch sounds fuller. Anyways... I could be wrong. I heard the black and the old silver. The old silver sounded like it had greater space between instruments.

Aug 2, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #137 of 163
But the bass out of the new batch sounds fuller. Anyways... I could be wrong. I heard the black and the old silver. The old silver sounded like it had greater space between instruments.

Heck... it might be burn in over 100's of hours even. I guess only Chord knows. I would prefer more space than fuller bass but I guess I'll find out by trying it out more Hugos. But at the end of the day I already got my Hugo and I will stick with it. Enjoy your tunes I guess.
Cheers.

Aug 2, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #138 of 163
Heck... it might be burn in over 100's of hours even. I guess only Chord knows. I would prefer more space than fuller bass but I guess I'll find out by trying it out more Hugos. But at the end of the day I already got my Hugo and I will stick with it. Enjoy your tunes I guess.
Cheers.

Hope you find your Hugo's synergy with other gears.

I have found mine.

I can proudly say that my portable stack can best entry level desktop rigs in driving the HD800.

Tonight I am using the same stack to drive the Rhines Stage 7.

It bested the AK240SS + Mass Kobo 404 combo in pairing with the Rhines flagship ciem.

Aug 2, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #139 of 163
Hope you find your Hugo's synergy with other gears.

I have found mine.

I can proudly say that my portable stack can best entry level desktop rigs in driving the HD800.

Tonight I am using the same stack to drive the Rhines Stage 7.

It bested the AK240SS + Mass Kobo 404 combo in pairing with the Rhines flagship ciem.

Just curious, do you have Rico ship the gear or do you come to Manila and buy them here? 

Aug 2, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #140 of 163
Just curious, do you have Rico ship the gear or do you come to Manila and buy them here? 

Both. I fly to Manila from time to time. When I'm there he allows me free time at his shop.

When I like something he sends it over to my place and I wire the payment. He is the principal sponsor of our audio club.

That was how the whole admin team got to first audition the Chord Hugo. As a result, three of the 7 admins bought Hugos.

Aug 10, 2015 at 1:07 AM Post #142 of 163
My friend got his iFi Micro iDSD yesterday! Time to take my Hugo over to his house when I get time for a comparo. :D
I'll post my thoughts ASAP but it'll probably be this weekend or early next week.
Can't wait!
beerchug.gif

Aug 10, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #143 of 163
My friend got his iFi Micro iDSD yesterday! Time to take my Hugo over to his house when I get time for a comparo. :D
I'll post my thoughts ASAP but it'll probably be this weekend or early next week.
Can't wait!
:beerchug:

Let us know the headphone model which will be tested with both iDSD micro and chord hugo.

So far I had tested several headphones, I found the Final Audio's Pandora Hope VI matches well with both DACs.

Aug 10, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #144 of 163
Let us know the headphone model which will be tested with both iDSD micro and chord hugo.

So far I had tested several headphones, I found the Final Audio's Pandora Hope VI matches well with both DACs.

I will be using them with: HD650, Mr. Speakers Mad Dogs, Martin Logan Mikros 90s, HD598, Grado SR80E (modded), and more which I can't remember atm.
My HP50 is broke at the moment and are awaiting a repair so unfortunately I can't test them out with that.
One thing about the comparison I will do is that my friend's Micro iDSD is newer than my Hugo so it needs burn in time to be really fair. Also, my HD650 and my Hugo both has around 50-60 hours of usage so far which some would say is not enough for a complete burn in.

Aug 25, 2015 at 1:58 AM Post #146 of 163
  How'd the comparo go?

Unfortunately it didn't happen because I had a 5-day family trip that was planned all of sudden.
It'll happen soon hopefully but I'll have to talk to my friend again about it.
I'll let you guys know so just hang on.
Cheers.

Sep 4, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #148 of 163
It seems it's common to say the Micro is 90% of the Hugo. Has anyone compared either of these DAC's to the LH Labs Pulse X Infinity?

I got the Geek Out and the Pulse Vanilla. Both are good and deserving the good comments here. But the micro in another league. I still have the Pulse if you want to buy it. PM me. The Hugo is good too but I found it did some things better and some things not better. :)

Sep 4, 2015 at 11:55 PM Post #149 of 163
I got the Geek Out and the Pulse Vanilla. Both are good and deserving the good comments here. But the micro in another league. I still have the Pulse if you want to buy it. PM me. The Hugo is good too but I found it did some things better and some things not better.
smily_headphones1.gif

I also have the Geek Out 450, Pulse Vanilla, and Pulse X Infinity - which is why I'd like to compare and see how it stacks up against the competition. I'm most curious about Schiit Yggdrasil, iDSD Micro, next Gustard DAC, and the Aune X1S. It seems value keeps getting better, which is good in general but sad for those that have already spent a lot; it makes one curious and want to know and compare.

Sep 10, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #150 of 163
I also have the Geek Out 450, Pulse Vanilla, and Pulse X Infinity - which is why I'd like to compare and see how it stacks up against the competition. I'm most curious about Schiit Yggdrasil, iDSD Micro, next Gustard DAC, and the Aune X1S. It seems value keeps getting better, which is good in general but sad for those that have already spent a lot; it makes one curious and want to know and compare.

Say, don't forget that the iDSD Pro will be launched soon-ish, too. This thing is going to kill!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back