iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Oct 15, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #6,916 of 9,047
  I have the "B" firmware installed so micro doesn't go to sleep mode and doesn't steel from my phone's battery. All is well.
But when I turn the micro off , I see that little blue light, which if I'm not mistaken means he is stealing again!
Is there a workaround for this? It's so annoying to detach the cable or turn the phone off every time. 

I'm also having problems with the B firmware. The charging disable in sleep mode seems not to work at all.

Besides the problem you describe, it seems to drain my phone battery very fast.

Additionally, with iPhone 5s, the phone wakes up randomly when the iDSD is turned off, draining its battery even faster.

Tried 5.2B and 5.1B.

Oct 15, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #6,917 of 9,047

I have the "B" firmware installed so micro doesn't go to sleep mode and doesn't steel from my phone's battery. All is well.
But when I turn the micro off , I see that little blue light, which if I'm not mistaken means he is stealing again!

Is there a workaround for this? It's so annoying to detach the cable or turn the phone off every time. 

I'm also having problems with the B firmware. The charging disable in sleep mode seems not to work at all.

Besides the problem you describe, it seems to drain my phone battery very fast.

Additionally, with iPhone 5s, the phone wakes up randomly when the iDSD is turned off, draining its battery even faster.

Tried 5.2B and 5.1B.

When the iDSD is turned off, it will charge if a USB voltage is available. If this were not so, it would be impossible to ever charge the iDSD. This is part of the design. If you don't want it to charge then you must unplug it.

With the B firmware, there is no sleep mode so what exactly are you trying to describe?

Oct 16, 2016 at 12:00 AM Post #6,918 of 9,047
When the iDSD is turned off, it will charge if a USB voltage is available. If this were not so, it would be impossible to ever charge the iDSD. This is part of the design. If you don't want it to charge then you must unplug it.

With the B firmware, there is no sleep mode so what exactly are you trying to describe?

My mistake.

So what is the sleep mode? When the micro is "turned on" but no signal is sent to it?

And when I connect the micro to the phone already turned on, then after I turn it off (without disconnecting), will it remember that it should not take power from the phone?

Oct 16, 2016 at 1:28 AM Post #6,919 of 9,047
Thank you guys for kindly ignoring my post, the next time I need some help with the iFi gears I know where to not seek it. I'll try to settle my doubts elsewhere on my own and report on this thread the outcome of my research.

I could answer it but that wall of text prevented me from seeing your question. Can you please repeat your query with some paragraphs and punctuation.

Oct 16, 2016 at 4:43 AM Post #6,920 of 9,047
Thank you guys for kindly ignoring my post, the next time I need some help with the iFi gears I know where to not seek it. I'll try to settle my doubts elsewhere on my own and report on this thread the outcome of my research.

I could answer it but that wall of text prevented me from seeing your question. Can you please repeat your query with some paragraphs and punctuation.

He did make a request that we correct him if he was wrong about the iDAC2 not having a battery. He wasn't wrong so we didn't correct him.

As for nano iDSD and micro iDSD, all the information is on the iFi Audio website and he has clearly read it already.

What he appears to be asking is 'Can I get a free lunch by buying the nano instead of the micro?' to which the answer is obviously 'No'.

The micro has XBASS, 3D, optical and coaxial inputs, vastly more power, a bigger battery, twin DAC chips, IEMatch, a better output stage, built-in iPurifier, etc.

Oct 16, 2016 at 6:47 AM Post #6,921 of 9,047
And when I connect the micro to the phone already turned on, then after I turn it off (without disconnecting), will it remember that it should not take power from the phone?

Oct 17, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #6,923 of 9,047
Aaawwww someone's in need of attention!!! You do know that not everyone has every Ifi unit in the world and if they do, they still probably have a life and don't come to head-fi every single day...

First I want to clarify that my last post wasn't a complain out of impatience but out of my conviction after over 24h. of wait that no one would ever respond since it wouldn't have been the first time this happens to me on head-fi threads. It's not as much that I was impatient or eager to get a reply as the fact that rubs me the wrong way that it's very rude to ignore someone's comment as if it were invisible.

You are the only one who can tell what's worthy or not. Buy the unit you have a need for (i.e. form factor, battery for portable use or not, etc. ) and decide if you like the sound or not. If you do, then that's it...

Ok, I'll have to choose a couple of those devices to buy and decide which one I like more.

Awwww so cute!
Patience is a virtue. It will come to you in time as you grow and mature :)

Are you calling me cute? That's a new experience in life to me! Well I'm afraid I shall never mature mentally.

I am one of those who like to future proof their audio equipment due to the following benefits:
  1. Reduces amount of mid-fi items you end up with over time, some of which end up gathering dust.
  2. Related to the point above, reduces amount of CL / Head-Fi ads you need to deal with to sell your old crap
  3. You get to experience the higher-end stuff right away, not in X years

Future proof is precisely the idea that prowled around my head. iDSD nano may be enough to me at this moment but if sooner or later one will go for high-end equipment, be it now. I agree that is better to have few expensive and well selected devices than heaps of mid-fi hardware.

Other stuff to consider:
The iDSD micro isn't super portable. Sure, I can put it in my bag on my way to work, set it up on the desk there and use it right away, but true portability to me means putting it in my back pocket so I can use it on my way to work. For this reason I leave the iDSD micro at home and use a fiio x7 for truly portable applications.
iDSD micro has a really well implemented 3d holo sound and bass boost, while nano doesn't

I don't care too much for portability, for that purpose I think daps are better than dac/amp + transport.
What I'm not sure about is wether I'll need the 3D holographic feature. I've read certain opinions that claim it manipulates natural music sound, etc. I bet it will be great for movies and videogames though.

Oct 17, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #6,924 of 9,047

What I'm not sure about is wether I'll need the 3D holographic feature. I've read certain opinions that claim it manipulates natural music sound, etc. I bet it will be great for movies and videogames though.

It does manipulate the sound and the effect works differently depending on the equipment you're using and source material. For example it works really well on most tracks with LCD-2F and HD650, but on TOTL ciems, not so much.
I like having the option to use it. Totally worth it IMHO. If you're on the fence, try it out before you decide!

Oct 17, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #6,925 of 9,047
  It does manipulate the sound and the effect works differently depending on the equipment you're using and source material. For example it works really well on most tracks with LCD-2F and HD650, but on TOTL ciems, not so much.
I like having the option to use it. Totally worth it IMHO. If you're on the fence, try it out before you decide!

3D effect is also present in iCan nano and micro. It definitely looks promising.
The good thing about iDSD micro is it combines most features of iFi devices in one and in spite of its size is more portable than iDSD nano+iCan nano or iDac micro+iCan micro.
Maybe I should purchase both iDSD micro and nano and compare them by myself.

Oct 17, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #6,927 of 9,047
Has anybody compared the mojo to the idsd micro?

I have just put my idsd micro up for sale because I wont be using it for a long while and was curious for the future if I should re-purchase or go with the Mojo.

I had both and prefer the Micro any day over Mojo, I do have my eyes on the Hugo though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back