iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Oct 13, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #6,901 of 9,047
Thanks I will give it some more time and try the burn in. I don't have access to any better headphones though.

Don't have to be better. With a new amp you may discover that you like the headphones you previously didn't like, and vice versa. Variety is the spice of life, or something like that. But mostly I suggest the exercise so you get better idea how the iFi sounds like.

Oct 14, 2016 at 2:39 AM Post #6,902 of 9,047
Thanks I will give it some more time and try the burn in. I don't have access to any better headphones though.

Although I didn't have the HD598 at the time I had the Micro around I can see these two not being a great match. Both are quite laid back and lacking some dynamics (IMHO and compared to more expensive offerings) which could easily lead to a too laid back presentation lacking energy. Just must 2c......

Oct 14, 2016 at 6:12 AM Post #6,903 of 9,047
Hi.. Does anyone know if this combo works? If i connect the micro idsd output(RCA)to the new schiit Jotunheim. Then headphone out(balanced output) to my Audeze lcd 2. Anyone tried a similar combo? Thanks.. :)

Oct 14, 2016 at 6:44 AM Post #6,904 of 9,047
Hi.. Does anyone know if this combo works? If i connect the micro idsd output(RCA)to the new schiit Jotunheim. Then headphone out(balanced output) to my Audeze lcd 2. Anyone tried a similar combo? Thanks.. :)

Of course it works.

iDSD has single-ended RCA output

Jotenheim has a single-ended RCA input

Why would it not work?

Oct 14, 2016 at 6:55 AM Post #6,905 of 9,047
Hi, I'm not been following this thread but recently by looking for an amp and dac for both desktop and portable use I've taken an interest in the iDSD Micro, nevertheless I've got some doubts I can't clear up by myself on this device. I currently have only iems to listen to but I'm thinking of buying the Fidelio X2, the AKG K7XX or a full size headset like that. I wonder wether the iDSD Micro is worthwhile rather than opting for the iDSD Nano that is much cheaper and for what I've read it's quite good and powerful for its price and investing the difference on other gears and equipment. I've also thought about the iDAC2 Micro, halfway between the two latter and even about dacs and amps of another brands I'm interested in like the HA-2SE. The issue with the iDAC2 is for what I've understood it has no built-in battery and is USB powered for which is a fully desktop dac/amp, correct me if I'm wrong. The question is wether the difference in sound quality and power of the iDSD Micro above the iDSD Nano/iDAC2 Micro/HA-2SE are worth to spend the price difference since the three latter may supply me what I need.

Oct 14, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #6,906 of 9,047
I have been using my micro idsd DAC and iusb 3.0 in my two channel system for about 2 years. Now I'm getting a PSAudio Nuwave DSD DAC and have been using the IDSD iusb 3.0 as a portable with a pair of Denon AH-D600 over ear headphones streaming music from server/Jriver to my iPad and listening that way...sounds great! But have been thinking of going even more portable with A DAP... iBasso X80 with the iDSD/iUSB3.0. my question. Seeing I'm using the ifi gear will I be better served buying a lesser DAP due to using amp and DAC in ifi gear rather than iBasso? If so, what would you recommend? Thanks.

Oct 14, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #6,907 of 9,047
I have been using my micro idsd DAC and iusb 3.0 in my two channel system for about 2 years. Now I'm getting a PSAudio Nuwave DSD DAC and have been using the IDSD iusb 3.0 as a portable with a pair of Denon AH-D600 over ear headphones streaming music from server/Jriver to my iPad and listening that way...sounds great! But have been thinking of going even more portable with A DAP... iBasso X80 with the iDSD/iUSB3.0. my question. Seeing I'm using the ifi gear will I be better served buying a lesser DAP due to using amp and DAC in ifi gear rather than iBasso? If so, what would you recommend? Thanks.

use a old android phone or iphone.  You just need a source connecting to the idsd and let the idsd do all the work.

I use a iphone 5 or lg g3 to connect to mine.

Oct 15, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #6,913 of 9,047
Thank you guys for kindly ignoring my post, the next time I need some help with the iFi gears I know where to not seek it. I'll try to settle my doubts elsewhere on my own and report on this thread the outcome of my research.

Oct 15, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #6,914 of 9,047
Thank you guys for kindly ignoring my post, the next time I need some help with the iFi gears I know where to not seek it. I'll try to settle my doubts elsewhere on my own and report on this thread the outcome of my research.

Aaawwww someone's in need of attention!!! You do know that not everyone has every Ifi unit in the world and if they do, they still probably have a life and don't come to head-fi every single day...

The question is wether the difference in sound quality and power of the iDSD Micro above the iDSD Nano/iDAC2 Micro/HA-2SE are worth to spend the price difference since the three latter may supply me what I need.

You are the only one who can tell what's worthy or not. Buy the unit you have a need for (i.e. form factor, battery for portable use or not, etc. ) and decide if you like the sound or not. If you do, then that's it...

Oct 15, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #6,915 of 9,047

Awwww so cute!
Patience is a virtue. It will come to you in time as you grow and mature :)
I suspect that for the types of headphones you're listing, the differences between the nano and micro will be hard to point out. In my view this boils down to whether you want to focus on getting good equipment for right now or if you would like to future proof it, so when in a few years you start looking at TOTL headphones, your DAC section will be ready.

I am one of those who like to future proof their audio equipment due to the following benefits:
  1. Reduces amount of mid-fi items you end up with over time, some of which end up gathering dust.
  2. Related to the point above, reduces amount of CL / Head-Fi ads you need to deal with to sell your old crap
  3. You get to experience the higher-end stuff right away, not in X years

Obviously this also comes at a cost. I purchased my iDSD micro for $500 some 2 years ago. Now I could get the same unit for around $350. Another problem related to cost and timing is the impact that $500 has on your budget. Younger audiophiles tend to be more conservative with their spending (for good reason!), while older, professionally established and financially secure ones can more easily afford to drop $ on a TOTL setup.

Other stuff to consider:
The iDSD micro isn't super portable. Sure, I can put it in my bag on my way to work, set it up on the desk there and use it right away, but true portability to me means putting it in my back pocket so I can use it on my way to work. For this reason I leave the iDSD micro at home and use a fiio x7 for truly portable applications.
iDSD micro has a really well implemented 3d holo sound and bass boost, while nano doesn't

My advice to you is to patiently wait a couple of weeks and see if you can get a black Friday deal on a iDSD micro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back