If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
May 29, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #1,458 of 19,256
Quote:
It looks kinda bulky? are you able to put recessed type plugs into it? Like JH Audio, UM Miracle etc....
I wonder if one can just get a cable made for them without those blocky ends?
I tried getting another cable off Etymotic, but they want me to ship drivers back, then they are to test everything etc, so looking at 130 USD plus shipping both ways.......Only wanted a cable?

If you just need a cable, it's $50 installed plus shipping. $130 is if you're getting the transducers replaced also...

The first time I had mine done it was under warranty, they replaced the filters and gave me new tips also, we'll see if it happens now that I have to pay. :)

I just had the cable go on mine again (broke at the Y adapter a second time) and had to look up the pricing this morning.

May 29, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #1,459 of 19,256
Quote:
Can anyone comment on the durability of the braided ety cable vs. the straight ety cable. I believe the braided is the newer style. It seems a little thinner than the straight cable. Can anyone comment?

I have what I believe is the twist cable on my ER4P's, about to get my 3rd one in 2 1/2 years. The insulation cracked right where the cables come out of the splitter about a year after I got them, sent them back under warranty to get it replaced. I went to put them on this morning, no sound out of the left bud, cable is cracked in the same place.

I always wear them with the clip so there's no pressure on the wires between the clip and my ears and keep them in the case when I'm not using. I'm guessing it's just a weak spot where the cable comes out of that solid Y and it cracks over time from being flexed.

I do like these earphones a lot and I'm gonna get them fixed, it just sucks that the cable keeps going on them. I may have to look into an alternative cable in the future if it happens again.

Mine looks like this.

May 29, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #1,460 of 19,256
For me, yes. Keep in mind every ear canal is shaped differently, some will get a decent fit with tri-flanges.
yes I agree..I just find with the complys I get a great seal and a more comfy fit over the tri tips but I find I loose treble and detail that I get with the tri tips..but the tri tips are harder to get a good seal with for me and sometimes they can really hurt deep inside..specially when they are new..but when they are new they have the best sound I find..once they get a little softer over time I find they don't have that great detail as the New ones do or the complys..maybe just my opinion..:)

May 29, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #1,463 of 19,256
I had the same problem with comply. Treble wasn't fully present. I attribute it to my ears being too bendy. 
I think it's cause the complys are made of a soft material..I find the same thing happens to the tri tips when they get worn alot and get broke in..cause when they are new the treble is more present..I used baby oil one time to soften them up and after a while they became nice and soft so they didn't hurt my ears as much but that really nice treble was kinda gone..so I changed them and put new ones on and bam the treble was back again..so I believe it's the material that the complys are made of that dulls the sound..that's what I think anyways..

May 29, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #1,464 of 19,256
Quote:
We are speaking of the same thing. Moisture will do it.

Lol.  I'm still not sure we are.  It's not anything to do with my ear internals, but rather the tip.  I think the soft foam must absorb some frequencies instead or reflecting them all into the ear.  There isn't a swishing that changes, but rather simply certain frequencies missing that gives the impression of swishy.  Swishy is probably not the best word.  It gets worse the larger I go in comply tips as well.  Compared to the silicon they sound less dynamic almost.  Things like snare drums and kick drums even lack the punchiness and clarity, but on the other side of things they almost sound smoother overall from low to high.  So it's almost a trade off.  I feel like I'm gaining comfort, great seal and smooth overall sound for lack of super details throughout...

For me they provide the best bass though, and that is a huge help with the er4s, because to get similar bass I have to literally make my ears sore with the triple flange tips.  I just with there was no sacrifice of details and they'd be perfect...  Other than needing replacement so often...

May 29, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #1,466 of 19,256
Quote:
You dont need to replace them often. I put them in a pants pocket and wash them with the laundry.

:p  My last comply tips lasted maybe 3 weeks before breaking apart physically.  They didn't even look gross or dirty.  They just starting chipping away material and were very soft...

May 29, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #1,467 of 19,256
Hmm.

You might try enlarging the tip orifice of the comply's a little with an xacto knife or something. It is possible they are sealing over a little and distorting the sound.

May 30, 2013 at 6:40 AM Post #1,468 of 19,256
Complys are nowhere near as comfortable as the biflange mod once the biflange has molded to your ear canal. Might isolate better, but that's irrelevant if it hurts. I can keep these biflanges in my ears literally for 48+ hours without any break. Plus, you get a much deeper insertion.

May 30, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #1,469 of 19,256
Lol.  I'm still not sure we are.  It's not anything to do with my ear internals, but rather the tip.  I think the soft foam must absorb some frequencies instead or reflecting them all into the ear.  There isn't a swishing that changes, but rather simply certain frequencies missing that gives the impression of swishy.  Swishy is probably not the best word.  It gets worse the larger I go in comply tips as well.  Compared to the silicon they sound less dynamic almost.  Things like snare drums and kick drums even lack the punchiness and clarity, but on the other side of things they almost sound smoother overall from low to high.  So it's almost a trade off.  I feel like I'm gaining comfort, great seal and smooth overall sound for lack of super details throughout...

For me they provide the best bass though, and that is a huge help with the er4s, because to get similar bass I have to literally make my ears sore with the triple flange tips.  I just with there was no sacrifice of details and they'd be perfect...  Other than needing replacement so often...
you are so rite..I like that the complys are comfy and insulate very well but it's like it doesn't reflect the higher frequency and it makes them sound kinda muddy..I think they even take away from the lows being accurate too..kinda sucks cause I do think they insulate very good so ya it's deffently a trade off..I think I'd rather the little pain I get after the tri tips have been in for a while.

May 30, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #1,470 of 19,256
Just received the Fitear F111. Upon first listen there is a bit more apparent bass, making it seem just a bit smoother in comparison to the ER4S. Vocals edge very slightly towards warmth compared to the ever so slightly more brittle sounding vocals on the ER4S. It's a small difference but one worth nothing imo. I've only listened to one song so far, but these are the most obvious details to my ears. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back