If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
May 28, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #1,441 of 19,253
Well the previous molds tended lose their seal cause they were too shallow. If you note the filter that's been moved out of the ER4 housing, this negates the acoustic need for the large barell to be within the mold. It's not an perfect mold in terms of insertion depth, I wanted it longer, but it's about as good as I'll expect from the cheapest audiologist in town, by a contract with a lab abroad.

These are the deepest molds I've seen:

May 28, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #1,442 of 19,253
The canal still looks really long. I think the bulk of the earphone barrel itself needs to be inside the mold.

I agree, I want custom tips but I can't trust them to make the IEM deep enough in the barrel judging from all the pictures I've seen so I made them myself.

Here is what bought to make it:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/151043478428?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Guides I followed:
http://notanaudiophile.blogspot.com.au/2013/02/diy-turn-your-earphones-into-custom-iem.html
http://blogdischarge.blogspot.com.au/2012/11/diy-custom-fit-iems.html

Will post photos later.

May 28, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #1,445 of 19,253
Quote:
I gave up on custom molds years ago. Comply tips fit perfectly, seal tight, and are super comfortable.

Comply go deep enough for the etymotics?  Do you get the standard or "long" foam tips?  How do they affect the sound from the silicon tips?  Or even the ety foam?

May 28, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #1,446 of 19,253
Comply actually doesn't work well for me with etys. It's doesn't allow for a secure enough fit when pushed to the reference plane, and it doesn't give a consistent enough angle of fit, resulting in inconsistent sound. Just my ears though.

May 28, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #1,447 of 19,253
Ive been using Comply's for over 15 years. They take some getting used to but for me, I get the same consistent good fit every time. For my Etys, I have settled on the long foam tips with the ends cut off flat and flush with the end of the inner tube. I insert them all the way to the 2nd bend and then tweak them back a smidge. Same position every time
smile.gif

May 28, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #1,448 of 19,253
Quote:
Ive been using Comply's for over 15 years. They take some getting used to but for me, I get the same consistent good fit every time. For my Etys, I have settled on the long foam tips with the ends cut off flat and flush with the end of the inner tube. I insert them all the way to the 2nd bend and then tweak them back a smidge. Same position every time
smile.gif

Wow, I had no idea.  I just took my pfe112 comply tips (t-130) and I didn't realize they could go so deep.  They are really tight on the earphones, so hopefully I can get them out :wink: haha, but they squished down tight and went in deeper than I expected.  So far I'd say the sound is ironically very similar to the pfe112.  I'll have to listen more, but it has excellent isolation and bass so far, but things sound just a tad "swishy".  But then they do that with the pfe112 compared to the silicon as well.  Even though they flatten things out there's something swishy about them to me in the highest treble.  maybe I'm just not used to hearing drums at certain frequencies.  No other areas seem hurt by it, but drums just sound swishy in a weird way.  Not compressed, even with lossless files, more the frequencies.  Like I'm hearing a boost in the 10khz or something...

EDIT:  Another thing I'm noticing is that they absolutely sound more coherent in soundscape with the foam.  The separation from left to right seems smoother and wider...  THAT, I like.

May 28, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #1,449 of 19,253
Quote:

Wow, I had no idea.  I just took my pfe112 comply tips (t-130) and I didn't realize they could go so deep.  They are really tight on the earphones, so hopefully I can get them out :wink: haha, but they squished down tight and went in deeper than I expected.  So far I'd say the sound is ironically very similar to the pfe112.  I'll have to listen more, but it has excellent isolation and bass so far, but things sound just a tad "swishy".  But then they do that with the pfe112 compared to the silicon as well.  Even though they flatten things out there's something swishy about them to me in the highest treble.  maybe I'm just not used to hearing drums at certain frequencies.  No other areas seem hurt by it, but drums just sound swishy in a weird way.  Not compressed, even with lossless files, more the frequencies.  Like I'm hearing a boost in the 10khz or something...

EDIT:  Another thing I'm noticing is that they absolutely sound more coherent in soundscape with the foam.  The separation from left to right seems smoother and wider...  THAT, I like.

DOUBLE EDIT (oooh my gooood):  I can't believe how much easier these are to use (they slide in deep with no discomfort) and the bass is even better than the silicon for me....  WOW....  I want to try the deep foam tips! :)

May 28, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #1,450 of 19,253
They do take some getting used to. Also, to insert them properly, roll the foam between your two fingers to make them like a skinny cigar shape. Then reach behind your head with your opposite hand and pull the your outer ear rearwards to widen your canal. Insert the foam tips deeply while continuing to pull back with your opposite hand. Once its in, move your jaw around as the foam expands inside your ear canal. You'll feel the foam conform to the shape of your ear canal perfectly. Repeat for the other ear.

Hard to describe - easy to actually do.

May 28, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #1,451 of 19,253
Quote:
They do take some getting used to. Also, to insert them properly, roll the foam between your two fingers to make them like a skinny cigar shape. Then reach behind your head with your opposite hand and pull the your outer ear rearwards to widen your canal. Insert the foam tips deeply while continuing to pull back with your opposite hand. Once its in, move your jaw around as the foam expands inside your ear canal. You'll feel the foam conform to the shape of your ear canal perfectly. Repeat for the other ear.

Hard to describe - easy to actually do.

Actually after months of dealing with the ety tips I inserted these instantly with ease.  I always pull up on my ear and I rolled them to be the same size as the earphone canal piece so it looks like a flush tip/earphone piece.  They slide right in all the way to where I usually wear the silicon triple flange, but the bass and overall sound is the best I've heard so far bar none.  I think the swishy-ness might be the recordings...  Not sure yet.

May 29, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #1,452 of 19,253
Quote:

Actually after months of dealing with the ety tips I inserted these instantly with ease.  I always pull up on my ear and I rolled them to be the same size as the earphone canal piece so it looks like a flush tip/earphone piece.  They slide right in all the way to where I usually wear the silicon triple flange, but the bass and overall sound is the best I've heard so far bar none.  I think the swishy-ness might be the recordings...  Not sure yet.

The comply's rock. I was lucky enough to pick up several boxes of their tips the NC1 and NC 2 earphones for a buck a box at a goodwill store about 4 years ago. Been using them ever since (NC 1 Rivaling the Hesh for worst head gear ever). If you get swishing it may be due to very small amounts of sweat like a quarter of an eyedrop in the ear before insertion. When that happens I genreally twist up a cotton ball and just dab the ear canal and presto it's gone.

Either that or you have an ear infection:)

May 29, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #1,454 of 19,253
Quote:
The comply's rock. I was lucky enough to pick up several boxes of their tips the NC1 and NC 2 earphones for a buck a box at a goodwill store about 4 years ago. Been using them ever since (NC 1 Rivaling the Hesh for worst head gear ever). If you get swishing it may be due to very small amounts of sweat like a quarter of an eyedrop in the ear before insertion. When that happens I genreally twist up a cotton ball and just dab the ear canal and presto it's gone.

Either that or you have an ear infection:)

lol  Not that type of swishing.  Swishing like mp3 compression in the treble...

May 29, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #1,455 of 19,253
Comply actually doesn't work well for me with etys. It's doesn't allow for a secure enough fit when pushed to the reference plane, and it doesn't give a consistent enough angle of fit, resulting in inconsistent sound. Just my ears though.
They don't work that well for me either..the comfort is great bu. I find that it's a warmer sound and a little more bass..but I find that I'm loosing detail with the complys..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back