If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jun 11, 2016 at 12:12 AM Post #8,011 of 19,253
When did you last change filters on your ER4S... :wink:
Not that long ago actually. I have more though. But I'm fairly certain this isn't a filter difference, as I've never heard the er4s this clear... But i could be wrong... I'll just change them for the sake of comparing them...

Jun 11, 2016 at 2:01 AM Post #8,012 of 19,253
I finally get it.... I understand why people love the ER4 so much....

These are the last earphones I see myself ever buying

Jun 11, 2016 at 2:53 AM Post #8,013 of 19,253

Enjoy them!!!
beerchug.gif

Jun 11, 2016 at 4:36 AM Post #8,016 of 19,253

I've seen many people from 2002-2004 who raved about the ER4 and then disappeared from Head-Fi forever. I think they just really, really like their ER4's.

lol

Jun 11, 2016 at 5:01 AM Post #8,017 of 19,253

I've seen many people from 2002-2004 who raved about the ER4 and then disappeared from Head-Fi forever. I think they just really, really like their ER4's.

I think it's true determination :)

Thanks for impressions @luisdent, I'll be waiting for more like others :)

Enjoy it!

Jun 11, 2016 at 9:10 AM Post #8,018 of 19,253
sorry to come as a killjoy, but making direct comparison of 2 IEMs with a loudness difference makes it difficult to get a reliable feedback. and doubled with how little time luisdent spent with them, I would really advise to take those feedbacks for what they are. very subjective first impressions. he warns about this, but I know how people feed on new information and turn anything they first read into play pretend facts. try to keep a healthy skepticism for a week or 2 when you read feedbacks.
luisdent has good ears and way to explain. I listen to what he says when he talks about an IEMs(let me tell you the list of people I rely on for subjective feedback is pretty short ), but he's still human and it's been a day.

what can probably be said without too much risk of being wrong:
I imagine most people but the original er4s fans will favor the XR. I got the SR because my music on my SD cards is already EQed for all the etys I own(including a sub boost), and I'm just that lazy that I don't want to redo it all. but with no EQ, I'm missing some sub energy just like I missed it on the old er4.

deep insertion is still very much needed. no change there.

my special touch: hiss.
I'm not bothered by hiss even on my sony A10, the sensitivity is clearly higher than the old er4s as expected from specs, but not to the point where it has become a problem. I'm very happy with that result I must say. a good middle ground. I love the HF5 but the sensitivity is really too much for most portable sources without a crazy low noise level. so too much sensitivity is as bad as too little.

and for those who never read specs and didn't have an er4 before, the cable is still 5ft(1.5m). that's rather long for people used to the most average IEM cable length. I'm happy as I find 4ft a little short at times, but I'm a tall dude(1.93m or 6'4"). any time I'm happy for a slightly longer cable (my old Qjays, se215,..) , I can read tens on people complaining that it's too long.  so I thought I'd mention it.

taking the cable off the er4sr is a little tricky, with shure cable you just gently pull and turn to make sure your on axis and it comes out almost on it's own, the trick being to really be on axis. here you can't turn so you have no way to easily check if you're really pulling perfectly straight. but else when you go at it straight the plug comes out way more gently that it did on the older er4. no need to turn into the hulk, that would probably just damage the plug. and if you're not changing the cable, I suggest you don't try as it serves no purpose. (do what I say not what I do
biggrin.gif
)

for subjective stuff, I agree with luisdent on some points, don't on others, so I'd rather keep it to myself until I know this IEM better. I've been known to be really bad at reading into things on the first date. ^_^

Jun 11, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #8,019 of 19,253
Here's some photos to conoare the new model with the original style er4s...

Nice picture and impressions! Sounds very promising so far, I can't wait monday to get my hands on it (and to pay god knows how much on custom fees!).

Btw, does it still come with the original 'mini vault-style' hard case? Or is the semi hard case the only thing included?

Jun 11, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #8,020 of 19,253
  sorry to come as a killjoy, but making direct comparison of 2 IEMs with a loudness difference makes it difficult to get a reliable feedback. and doubled with how little time luisdent spent with them, I would really advise to take those feedbacks for what they are. very subjective first impressions. he warns about this, but I know how people feed on new information and turn anything they first read into play pretend facts. try to keep a healthy skepticism for a week or 2 when you read feedbacks.
luisdent has good ears and way to explain. I listen to what he says when he talks about an IEMs(let me tell you the list of people I rely on for subjective feedback is pretty short ), but he's still human and it's been a day.

what can probably be said without too much risk of being wrong:
I imagine most people but the original er4s fans will favor the XR. I got the SR because my music on my SD cards is already EQed for all the etys I own(including a sub boost), and I'm just that lazy that I don't want to redo it all. but with no EQ, I'm missing some sub energy just like I missed it on the old er4.

deep insertion is still very much needed. no change there.

my special touch: hiss.
I'm not bothered by hiss even on my sony A10, the sensitivity is clearly higher than the old er4s as expected from specs, but not to the point where it has become a problem. I'm very happy with that result I must say. a good middle ground. I love the HF5 but the sensitivity is really too much for most portable sources without a crazy low noise level. so too much sensitivity is as bad as too little.

and for those who never read specs and didn't have an er4 before, the cable is still 5ft(1.5m). that's rather long for people used to the most average IEM cable length. I'm happy as I find 4ft a little short at times, but I'm a tall dude(1.93m or 6'4"). any time I'm happy for a slightly longer cable (my old Qjays, se215,..) , I can read tens on people complaining that it's too long.  so I thought I'd mention it.

taking the cable off the er4sr is a little tricky, with shure cable you just gently pull and turn to make sure your on axis and it comes out almost on it's own, the trick being to really be on axis. here you can't turn so you have no way to easily check if you're really pulling perfectly straight. but else when you go at it straight the plug comes out way more gently that it did on the older er4. no need to turn into the hulk, that would probably just damage the plug. and if you're not changing the cable, I suggest you don't try as it serves no purpose. (do what I say not what I do
biggrin.gif
)

for subjective stuff, I agree with luisdent on some points, don't on others, so I'd rather keep it to myself until I know this IEM better. I've been known to be really bad at reading into things on the first date. ^_^

Thats why i prefer to just demo the gear myself if possible. I only read reviews so i have a list of "to try" IEMs.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 11, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #8,021 of 19,253
Yes. My impressions are just that... Impressions.

I still plan on putting new filters in my er4s as well. So that will give me a better idea if the differences are as large as i think.

But so far based on my feel for the new sound I want to reiterate that the differences are very minor in actuality. These are an er4 for sure. But for some, like me, a small difference in sound can make a big difference in experience. So i need more time to guage which I prefer. But so far if you don't own either i wouldn't hesitate getting the er4sr.

Jun 11, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #8,022 of 19,253

I still plan on putting new filters in my er4s as well. So that will give me a better idea if the differences are as large as i think.

But so far based on my feel for the new sound I want to reiterate that the differences are very minor in actuality. These are an er4 for sure. But for some, like me, a small difference in sound can make a big difference in experience. So i need more time to guage which I prefer. But so far if you don't own either i wouldn't hesitate getting the er4sr.

Are you using red or green in the s?

Jun 11, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #8,023 of 19,253

Are you using red or green in the s?

Green. I've been using only green for a long time. Once i started using the grey foam again with a deep seal I've never gone back. They sound too good.

For what it's worth too, i use the er4s literally almost every single day. For listening to music and also as an aid in mixing and mastering music along side my studio monitor speakers. So theY get a lot of use for generally listening and also very close examination of sound. When mixing, I'm regularly comparing very minute difference in instrument levels and panning and subtle addition of effects such as reverb and delays and eq to very small degrees.

With that said, the er4s has been the only earphone I'd ever trust in this capacity...

Jun 11, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #8,024 of 19,253
Transfer the funds to your bank account. That's what I did. It should only take a few days.

Yeah, I just regret not doing it before they hit the market. But hey, other people have their new ER4's, and that's the important part. I'll get myself some sooner or later :)

Whenever my Denons sell.

@luisdent, awesome that you got both. Would love to hear your impressions on both as a fellow musician familiar with the recording & mastering process.

Edit: Also interested if anyone using these for recording is preferring the XR's.

Jun 11, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #8,025 of 19,253

Yep. I will try my best to compare all three models asap this weekend...

Congrats on getting a crazy good pair as far as measurements go, especially for being back-to-back serial numbers. Mine aren't back-to-back and don't test nearly that well.

I almost wish they didn't come with the performance certificate XD Ignorance is bliss sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back