If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
May 13, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #7,726 of 19,246

Honestly at this point id wait the extra month or two for the new models before buying the ER4.  The only benefit of getting the PT over the S at this point is for impedance reasons, otherwise the S is objectively better (which means no need to use the 'P' if you have an amp with enough power to drive it, of which haluter already has).  But the new ER4 has a better build quality, and judging from early specs is slightly more accurate.  You can also get a model with an added bass boost that at this point is not known to have a detrimental effect on the mids and highs, so there will be that added option to choose from very soon.  I dont think anything has been mentioned about the price, but I would imagine that the introduction of a new ER4 would reduce the pricing of the old model (unless the price point of the new ER4 is higher, of which nothing has been revealed yet afaik).  So at this point I dont think it would be very wise to jump the gun only a handful of weeks away from the release of the new and improved ER4 and pay full price for what will soon be discontinued and perhaps discounted as well.  It cant hurt to wait at this point in time unless you really need something new now, which in that case the ER4PT is still an amazing IEM.

Actually it's more than "impedance reasons" and technically, yes, "S is objectively better" but unfortunately, that's not the only thing for ears. It's all about preference. Having an amp doesn't mean to use S in all conditions. Do you guarantee that he'll love S more?

With SR and XR, there'll be no adapter for conversion and they'll be $349. Nowadays PT can be found for $200-250 which is great. For example, I paid $209 for mine three months ago. Of course new series will be good but we're just talkin about build quality, user replaceable cable and this accuracy stuff but not sound.

Also, I didn't understand this "slight better" accuracy score. From what I understand from this page*, it says that there's %8 error margin on measurement of accuracy score and that's why accuracy score of ER4S is %92. So, how the new series' curve fit to target a little bit closer? Anyway.

*http://www.etymotic.com/technology/hwmra

etydave discussed this a bit and it sounds to me as though the additional accuracy may be more subjective than objective. I don't mean that in a bad way, but it sounded as though they tried to improve the perceived accuracy by changing where aspects of the sound lay. We have no real details, but it was described as being better in one area at the cost of another possibly. Such as lowering a peak most might find objectionable at the cost of making the actual treble response slightly more uneven. That's just a theoretical example and there may be actuall sonic unprovements with no compromises, but this is just something that we briefly discussed earlier.

If you like "synergy" that's cool. Sometimes, certain traits are preferred by certain listeners. I have a few nice desktop amps, such as my main apogee duet that is considered reference quality in the recording world, and i use a jds c5 amp for portable.

I've a/b'd them extensively, and they are almost identical except the 32ohm duet might give a slight impression on being a touch more airy. But that's the impedance most likely shifting the treble, and it's incredibly slight. But i do like it. The desktop interface having more raw power also. Not that I'd need it with earphones though.

If you want reference transprency, i highly recommend the c5 or better yet, the c5d which I've also tested against the c5 and it is identical audibly. This is backed by the specs. They are all well below the threshold on frequency response deviation, thd, noise levels, etc. that has been generally agreed upon as being inaudible.

Jds labs know what they're doing. Grab an O2 from them and make a good a/b switch and you have a great way to do good comparisons. I made a great little a/b switch out of a jds c5 case as a matter of fact. It rocks! :)

Is it possible to modify these amps to enable quick swapping of their op-amps (something like tube rolling)
I'm not sure about this. I've read others talking about this, but I haven't done it myself, nor do I know if it is that simple.

May 13, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #7,727 of 19,246

Actually it's more than "impedance reasons" and technically, yes, "S is objectively better" but unfortunately, that's not the only thing for ears. It's all about preference. Having an amp doesn't mean to use S in all conditions. Do you guarantee that he'll love S more?

With SR and XR, there'll be no adapter for conversion and they'll be $349. Nowadays PT can be found for $200-250 which is great. For example, I paid $209 for mine three months ago. Of course new series will be good but we're just talkin about build quality, user replaceable cable and this accuracy stuff but not sound.

Also, I didn't understand this "slight better" accuracy score. From what I understand from this page*, it says that there's %8 error margin on measurement of accuracy score and that's why accuracy score of ER4S is %92. So, how the new series' curve fit to target a little bit closer? Anyway.

*http://www.etymotic.com/technology/hwmra

$209 is a great price, here in the UK it's $310 to $360. Where did you get it for that price? Might just import it if the new version is pricey.

May 13, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #7,729 of 19,246
I guess I am one of those weirdos who will miss the ER4B - they are my favorite from the original line. I find them a bit more transparent than the ER4S, which is a better fit for my choice of media (vinyl rips), since I never have to worry about the highs sounding too harsh because I don't listen to CDs or CD-rips.

There's gotta be a way for the new version (ER4SR) to be converted to (something like) a "B". Using a "B" cable from one of the older versions wouldn't work, because the new ER4SR is driven at 45Ohms, so even if you could get the right adapter to fit an old "B" cable onto the new connector, you'd have the wrong resistance.

What was the difference between the ER4S and ER4B, anyway? Someone earlier in the thread mentioned that they were both 100 Ohms, but the B had some kind of capacitor in the cable. Does anyone know anything else about what kind of capacitor the B version had?

What if you put that same kind of capacitor into a DIY cable for the ER4SR? Wouldn't you essentially get a "B"?

Also, EtyDave said that they moved the resistor out of the splitter, but he didn't mention where it was moved. I'm assuming it is now inside the earphones? Meaning, you could use any MMCX cable without needing a resistor in the cable?

Thanks! Very excited about the new sets, I will probably buy one.

May 13, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #7,733 of 19,246
  i was thinking - what is going to happen if i sell all of my headphones and just buy er4s, i am thinking that for a couple of days now

You would probably be happy but you'd lack bass
wink.gif

May 13, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #7,734 of 19,246
  Also, EtyDave said that they moved the resistor out of the splitter, but he didn't mention where it was moved. I'm assuming it is now inside the earphones? Meaning, you could use any MMCX cable without needing a resistor in the cable?

If I was Etymotic, the resistor would still be in the cable.  That way, you'll still need to by one directly from us (Etymotic) should a cable needs replacement.  No different than before, really.

May 13, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #7,737 of 19,246
Is it possible to modify these amps to enable quick swapping of their op-amps (something like tube rolling)

etydave discussed this a bit and it sounds to me as though the additional accuracy may be more subjective than objective. I don't mean that in a bad way, but it sounded as though they tried to improve the perceived accuracy by changing where aspects of the sound lay. We have no real details, but it was described as being better in one area at the cost of another possibly. Such as lowering a peak most might find objectionable at the cost of making the actual treble response slightly more uneven. That's just a theoretical example and there may be actuall sonic unprovements with no compromises, but this is just something that we briefly discussed earlier.
I'm not sure about this. I've read others talking about this, but I haven't done it myself, nor do I know if it is that simple.

The Leckerton amps support swapping of op-amps (psst I'm selling one haha).

May 13, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #7,738 of 19,246

Theoretically yes, but most likely no in practice. While there is no resistor in the cable anymore, the extra molding Ety used on the MMCX connector means the existing MMCX cable out there won't be about to get a tight fit, if it fits at all. Until someone cloned the extra molding on the MMCX connector Ety used, the chance is we still have to source our cable from Ety.

Okay, so I just learned that the capacitor in the B cable was actually somehow built in to the resistor, so if the resistors in the new ER4SR are inside the earphone, I guess there would be no way to add the B capacitor.

As mentioned by EtyDave, the current plan seems to be that the B will remain the same (old) design and they have no plan yet to update it. So your assumption is pretty accurate at this point.

If I was Etymotic, the resistor would still be in the cable.  That way, you'll still need to by one directly from us (Etymotic) should a cable needs replacement.  No different than before, really.

If you were Ety and the resistors are still in the cable, I'll ask you to sell us the cable without the need to send the whole ER4 back to you, and my guess is you are probably still going to say no.

No different than before, really.
wink.gif

May 13, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #7,739 of 19,246
Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you were Ety and the resistors are still in the cable, I'll ask you to sell us the cable without the need to send the whole ER4 back to you, and my guess is you are probably still going to say no.

No different than before, really.
wink.gif

Close to my point.  But the difference in the redesigned cable with the upcoming models is that the customer wouldn't need to send the housing back.  If the process for a cable swap is no different from the predecessor, then that's a shot in the other foot.

May 13, 2016 at 11:29 PM Post #7,740 of 19,246
All I can say it that marketing and business strategy are never Ety's strong suit, for better or worst.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back