If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
May 11, 2016 at 6:01 AM Post #7,711 of 19,246
May 11, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #7,715 of 19,246
If you like "synergy" that's cool. Sometimes, certain traits are preferred by certain listeners. I have a few nice desktop amps, such as my main apogee duet that is considered reference quality in the recording world, and i use a jds c5 amp for portable.

I've a/b'd them extensively, and they are almost identical except the 32ohm duet might give a slight impression on being a touch more airy. But that's the impedance most likely shifting the treble, and it's incredibly slight. But i do like it. The desktop interface having more raw power also. Not that I'd need it with earphones though.

If you want reference transprency, i highly recommend the c5 or better yet, the c5d which I've also tested against the c5 and it is identical audibly. This is backed by the specs. They are all well below the threshold on frequency response deviation, thd, noise levels, etc. that has been generally agreed upon as being inaudible.

Jds labs know what they're doing. Grab an O2 from them and make a good a/b switch and you have a great way to do good comparisons. I made a great little a/b switch out of a jds c5 case as a matter of fact. It rocks! :)

May 12, 2016 at 2:17 AM Post #7,717 of 19,246
If you like "synergy" that's cool. Sometimes, certain traits are preferred by certain listeners. I have a few nice desktop amps, such as my main apogee duet that is considered reference quality in the recording world, and i use a jds c5 amp for portable.

I've a/b'd them extensively, and they are almost identical except the 32ohm duet might give a slight impression on being a touch more airy. But that's the impedance most likely shifting the treble, and it's incredibly slight. But i do like it. The desktop interface having more raw power also. Not that I'd need it with earphones though.

If you want reference transprency, i highly recommend the c5 or better yet, the c5d which I've also tested against the c5 and it is identical audibly. This is backed by the specs. They are all well below the threshold on frequency response deviation, thd, noise levels, etc. that has been generally agreed upon as being inaudible.

Jds labs know what they're doing. Grab an O2 from them and make a good a/b switch and you have a great way to do good comparisons. I made a great little a/b switch out of a jds c5 case as a matter of fact. It rocks! :)

Is it possible to modify these amps to enable quick swapping of their op-amps (something like tube rolling)

May 12, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #7,718 of 19,246
My portable kit is currently iBasso DX50 -> Chord Mojo -> Yamaha EPH-100, and I'm looking to upgrade to the next level in earphones. Is it worth waiting for the ER4 replacement, or should I just go for the ER4-PT, or something else?

May 12, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #7,719 of 19,246
  My portable kit is currently iBasso DX50 -> Chord Mojo -> Yamaha EPH-100, and I'm looking to upgrade to the next level in earphones. Is it worth waiting for the ER4 replacement, or should I just go for the ER4-PT, or something else?

Who knows.. with PT, you'll both have S and P version of ER-4 which is important for you as a new in Ety area. So, I think go for PT, you'll not disappoint.

May 12, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #7,720 of 19,246
Honestly at this point id wait the extra month or two for the new models before buying the ER4.  The only benefit of getting the PT over the S at this point is for impedance reasons, otherwise the S is objectively better (which means no need to use the 'P' if you have an amp with enough power to drive it, of which haluter already has).  But the new ER4 has a better build quality, and judging from early specs is slightly more accurate.  You can also get a model with an added bass boost that at this point is not known to have a detrimental effect on the mids and highs, so there will be that added option to choose from very soon.  I dont think anything has been mentioned about the price, but I would imagine that the introduction of a new ER4 would reduce the pricing of the old model (unless the price point of the new ER4 is higher, of which nothing has been revealed yet afaik).  So at this point I dont think it would be very wise to jump the gun only a handful of weeks away from the release of the new and improved ER4 and pay full price for what will soon be discontinued and perhaps discounted as well.  It cant hurt to wait at this point in time unless you really need something new now, which in that case the ER4PT is still an amazing IEM.

May 12, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #7,721 of 19,246
Same here, the main difference is I think I'm the only one here aside from @EtyDave who has heard the new models and I really can not wait.

As a ER4P and former ER4S owner it is worth the wait.

Maybe even you will get a good deal on a used ER4P/PT/S when the SR/XR hit and someone wants to sell theirs for new toys, who knows.

May 13, 2016 at 12:33 AM Post #7,722 of 19,246

ER4S with Pono / PHA-3 balanced termination - built mainly as a proof-of-concept.

May 13, 2016 at 1:32 AM Post #7,724 of 19,246

ER4S with Pono / PHA-3 balanced termination - built mainly as a proof-of-concept.

I can't wait for the next batch to start! :)

May 13, 2016 at 4:31 AM Post #7,725 of 19,246
  Honestly at this point id wait the extra month or two for the new models before buying the ER4.  The only benefit of getting the PT over the S at this point is for impedance reasons, otherwise the S is objectively better (which means no need to use the 'P' if you have an amp with enough power to drive it, of which haluter already has).  But the new ER4 has a better build quality, and judging from early specs is slightly more accurate.  You can also get a model with an added bass boost that at this point is not known to have a detrimental effect on the mids and highs, so there will be that added option to choose from very soon.  I dont think anything has been mentioned about the price, but I would imagine that the introduction of a new ER4 would reduce the pricing of the old model (unless the price point of the new ER4 is higher, of which nothing has been revealed yet afaik).  So at this point I dont think it would be very wise to jump the gun only a handful of weeks away from the release of the new and improved ER4 and pay full price for what will soon be discontinued and perhaps discounted as well.  It cant hurt to wait at this point in time unless you really need something new now, which in that case the ER4PT is still an amazing IEM.

Actually it's more than "impedance reasons" and technically, yes, "S is objectively better" but unfortunately, that's not the only thing for ears. It's all about preference. Having an amp doesn't mean to use S in all conditions. Do you guarantee that he'll love S more?

With SR and XR, there'll be no adapter for conversion and they'll be $349. Nowadays PT can be found for $200-250 which is great. For example, I paid $209 for mine three months ago. Of course new series will be good but we're just talkin about build quality, user replaceable cable and this accuracy stuff but not sound.

Also, I didn't understand this "slight better" accuracy score. From what I understand from this page*, it says that there's %8 error margin on measurement of accuracy score and that's why accuracy score of ER4S is %92. So, how the new series' curve fit to target a little bit closer? Anyway.

*http://www.etymotic.com/technology/hwmra

Users who are viewing this thread

Back