IEM for metal music and hard rock - ultimate solution
Dec 26, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #2,041 of 2,094
Annihilator has pushed and shoved it's way to the top of my small IEM heap. It's bit aggressive and full frontal but in a somehow controlled manner. Every bit as addictive as I could have hoped for. If you can get over a slightly undefined bass presentation and aren't afraid of an elevated treble, it's really something else. It somehow works great with black metal, even poorly recorded stuff like Immortal Battles in the North and Darkthrone Under a Funeral Moon. The ESTAT treble is just incredibly well implemented, controlled and tuned. Wild. It's also great with death metal of all varieties showcasing plenty of bass impact and punch (more than I had anticipated prior to hearing it). The mids are quite forward which allows guitars to cut through its hefty mid-bass and they're loaded with texture and clarity. Killer set with metal IMO.

I just recently traded Rn6 for Xe6. Received Xe6 today and, as expected, they are not ideal for a majority of metal genres. Faster death metal / tech death, black metal and thrash becomes overly blurred in the bass and mids. There's simply too much bass quantity. The signature on the whole comes off as unrealistically thick. Don't get me wrong, it's a great IEM with the right music and it's remarkable how "detailed" it's still able to sound despite the literal boatload of mid-bass. It's a fun change of pace from Annihilator and I'm liking the molar shaking buzz with doom / stoner genres. Listening to the latest Witching album now and it's a skull rattling fuzz fest. I will try the red modules with Xe6 later to see if that helps clean up and lean out the signature some but ultimately I'd like to keep this set as intended by FiR which I believe to be bass forward, organic and warm with the black/silver/gold modules.

Rn6 is my clear cut pick of the Frontier Series IEMs I've owned (Ne4, Rn6, Xe6), hands down, for metal. Big caveat being I still haven't heard Kr5 and many love that set with metal. Still very much on my "need to hear list." If Annihilator didn't headbutt it's way in I'd still have Rn6.

Dec 26, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #2,042 of 2,094
Thanks so much for the reply! I plan to use them at the office and maybe for traveling so that I don't have to pack the big planars. For general use on the move I use my AP2. I hear you about the fit, maybe I can look into changing the tips.

How's the sound leaking on the 20s? Is it as bad as full size open back headphones? Also would the PEQ on the qudelix 5K be enough to "fix" the FR, seeing as I'll be buying them without the cipher cable. Thanks again for the info, maybe I'll have to look a bit more into DD's, I have the FH3 but almost never listen to them because I hated the treble spikes.
For me, the fit problems had to do with the weight distribution - you don't have a lot of tip options for this with the huge nozzles. The 5k should be fine, I didn't use the cipher cable either.

Dec 26, 2023 at 6:23 PM Post #2,043 of 2,094
I can't stop recommending the AuR Neon Pro as the best IEM for any type of metal, it is the most technical, with the best tonality, balance, speed, scene, separation and image that I have ever heard for this type of music.

But if a good amount of subbass is necessary for you, or you still need a DD for satisfactory bass, I also recommend the Monarch Mk3. I'm sure the Annihilator must be incredible, but I don't think the MMk3 is very far away, its implementation of the ESTs for treble is equally sublime, and its sound is incredibly powerful, fun and addictive with any type of metal.

Dec 26, 2023 at 6:42 PM Post #2,044 of 2,094
Annihilator has pushed and shoved it's way to the top of my small IEM heap. It's bit aggressive and full frontal but in a somehow controlled manner. Every bit as addictive as I could have hoped for. If you can get over a slightly undefined bass presentation and aren't afraid of an elevated treble, it's really something else. It somehow works great with black metal, even poorly recorded stuff like Immortal Battles in the North and Darkthrone Under a Funeral Moon. The ESTAT treble is just incredibly well implemented, controlled and tuned. Wild. It's also great with death metal of all varieties showcasing plenty of bass impact and punch (more than I had anticipated prior to hearing it). The mids are quite forward which allows guitars to cut through its hefty mid-bass and they're loaded with texture and clarity. Killer set with metal IMO.

I just recently traded Rn6 for Xe6. Received Xe6 today and, as expected, they are not ideal for a majority of metal genres. Faster death metal / tech death, black metal and thrash becomes overly blurred in the bass and mids. There's simply too much bass quantity. The signature on the whole comes off as unrealistically thick. Don't get me wrong, it's a great IEM with the right music and it's remarkable how "detailed" it's still able to sound despite the literal boatload of mid-bass. It's a fun change of pace from Annihilator and I'm liking the molar shaking buzz with doom / stoner genres. Listening to the latest Witching album now and it's a skull rattling fuzz fest. I will try the red modules with Xe6 later to see if that helps clean up and lean out the signature some but ultimately I'd like to keep this set as intended by FiR which I believe to be bass forward, organic and warm with the black/silver/gold modules.

Rn6 is my clear cut pick of the Frontier Series IEMs I've owned (Ne4, Rn6, Xe6), hands down, for metal. Big caveat being I still haven't heard Kr5 and many love that set with metal. Still very much on my "need to hear list." If Annihilator didn't headbutt it's way in I'd still have Rn6.
Anni is fantastic with metal. Drums sounds amazing. I really miss this set but hopefully the upcoming "Dio" is even better.

Rn6 is awesome with rock and metal too but I agree you shouldn't listen to the Kr5 because it's hand down exceptional with metal genres. STORM is also great. Unmatched dynamics and resolution.

Dec 26, 2023 at 6:44 PM Post #2,045 of 2,094

I’ve always wanted to try the new annihilators for metal right now I have the mentor and Mest MK2’s and they offer different presentations. The RN6 gets glowing reviews around here too for metal but 64audio doesn’t fit me great so I’d assume that the Fir’s would be the same.

Dec 26, 2023 at 7:33 PM Post #2,046 of 2,094
Although if the annihilators sound anything like the Gaea in any way then they’re not for me. I hated the Gaea’s sound immensely. They were too fatiguing for any metal whatsoever.

Dec 26, 2023 at 9:05 PM Post #2,048 of 2,094
Although if the annihilators sound anything like the Gaea in any way then they’re not for me. I hated the Gaea’s sound immensely. They were too fatiguing for any metal whatsoever.
Agreed, I EQ mine to something that resembles the Monarch MK III. I still prefer my Tia Trio's and Dunu Mirai for most metal though I did listen to BTBAM's The Parallax II: Future Sequence on my EQ'd Gaea's today.

Dec 26, 2023 at 9:56 PM Post #2,049 of 2,094
I can't stop recommending the AuR Neon Pro as the best IEM for any type of metal, it is the most technical, with the best tonality, balance, speed, scene, separation and image that I have ever heard for this type of music.

But if a good amount of subbass is necessary for you, or you still need a DD for satisfactory bass, I also recommend the Monarch Mk3. I'm sure the Annihilator must be incredible, but I don't think the MMk3 is very far away, its implementation of the ESTs for treble is equally sublime, and its sound is incredibly powerful, fun and addictive with any type of metal.
I liked Neon Pro with metal. Great tuning and a fast, punchy bass. I ultimately had to let them go due to fit issues and excessive in ear pressure build up. Unfortunate. I do also still find myself preferring a DD serving up the lows. I find it to yield a more satisfying and convincing decay to bass drum kicks and allows for a bit of natural “bleed” into the lower mids which gives a fullness to the sound. That’s just my preference, though. NP was great with really fast, technical metal, but did leave me wanting a bit with grittier, nastier death metal. A solid set no doubt though.
Anni is fantastic with metal. Drums sounds amazing. I really miss this set but hopefully the upcoming "Dio" is even better.

Rn6 is awesome with rock and metal too but I agree you shouldn't listen to the Kr5 because it's hand down exceptional with metal genres. STORM is also great. Unmatched dynamics and resolution.
Yeah, I love how Anni portrays drums, top to bottom. From bass kicks to cymbal work, it’s just so dang good. I feel Rn6 also excels with percussion with its open back kinetic DD. Very satisfying. The only “problem” area I have with Rn6 is in the treble and it’s not omnipresent. Recording dependent. But Anni is just on another level up top for me.

Shame on me for not having heard Kr5 yet. Storm is on my “maybe someday” listen list… would love to hear it if the opportunity comes up.
I’ve always wanted to try the new annihilators for metal right now I have the mentor and Mest MK2’s and they offer different presentations. The RN6 gets glowing reviews around here too for metal but 64audio doesn’t fit me great so I’d assume that the Fir’s would be the same.
Haven’t heard any of the Mests but did get a week with Mentor and thought it was very good with metal. I’d need to A/B to be sure but I feel like Anni is on the whole more aggressive and bassier than Mentor. Very different treble presentations with Anni having a lot more in your face up top.

If you have fit issues with 64A’s universals you’ll likely not get along with FiR’s as they are quite similar in size and shape.

Dec 26, 2023 at 10:24 PM Post #2,050 of 2,094
I liked Neon Pro with metal. Great tuning and a fast, punchy bass. I ultimately had to let them go due to fit issues and excessive in ear pressure build up. Unfortunate. I do also still find myself preferring a DD serving up the lows. I find it to yield a more satisfying and convincing decay to bass drum kicks and allows for a bit of natural “bleed” into the lower mids which gives a fullness to the sound. That’s just my preference, though. NP was great with really fast, technical metal, but did leave me wanting a bit with grittier, nastier death metal. A solid set no doubt though.

Yeah, I love how Anni portrays drums, top to bottom. From bass kicks to cymbal work, it’s just so dang good. I feel Rn6 also excels with percussion with its open back kinetic DD. Very satisfying. The only “problem” area I have with Rn6 is in the treble and it’s not omnipresent. Recording dependent. But Anni is just on another level up top for me.

Shame on me for not having heard Kr5 yet. Storm is on my “maybe someday” listen list… would love to hear it if the opportunity comes up.

Haven’t heard any of the Mests but did get a week with Mentor and thought it was very good with metal. I’d need to A/B to be sure but I feel like Anni is on the whole more aggressive and bassier than Mentor. Very different treble presentations with Anni having a lot more in your face up top.

If you have fit issues with 64A’s universals you’ll likely not get along with FiR’s as they are quite similar in size and shape.
Yes I figured that the Annihialtor's would have a lot more agression in the treble region as does the Mest MK2's. The Mentor's have a much fuller richer sound due to the mid presentation. Also, the soundstage is second to none. However, I do find myself yearning for more in the treble region sometimes in so much as the cymbal work and that crispiness that I miss with the Mentor's. However, I feel that the sound stage and note fullness makes up for it most of the time.

Dec 27, 2023 at 5:24 AM Post #2,051 of 2,094
Thanks so much for the reply! I plan to use them at the office and maybe for traveling so that I don't have to pack the big planars. For general use on the move I use my AP2. I hear you about the fit, maybe I can look into changing the tips.

How's the sound leaking on the 20s? Is it as bad as full size open back headphones? Also would the PEQ on the qudelix 5K be enough to "fix" the FR, seeing as I'll be buying them without the cipher cable. Thanks again for the info, maybe I'll have to look a bit more into DD's, I have the FH3 but almost never listen to them because I hated the treble spikes.

Hidizs mp145

Dec 27, 2023 at 5:25 PM Post #2,052 of 2,094
For me, the fit problems had to do with the weight distribution - you don't have a lot of tip options for this with the huge nozzles. The 5k should be fine, I didn't use the cipher cable either.

Hidizs mp145

Thanks so much for the replies! I caved and got the iSine 20 and...I absolutely love them! I used the large ridged tips and the fit is great. Just waiting for my 5K and an upgraded cable now (the stock one is laughable).

Regarding the sound, I still haven't found the exact right EQ settings for me BUT listening with the Audeze plugin sounds divine for rock/metal! Also I used an EQ profile I have for my LCD-2C and it sounds incredible with that as well, which was weird! The EQ settings I found online that are supposed to sound like the Reveal plugin actually sound nothing like it to my ears. Anybody got some settings to recommend?

Actually I think out of all my headphones (LCD2C, Sundara, 900 Pro X, FH3, APP2) the iSine 20 has the least fatiguing treble to my ears while still remaining clear and analytical. Also, they sound HUGE, reminding me of my 2C and much bigger than my other iems.

Those who own the isine20 just listen to Volbeat - Shotgun Blues using the Reveal plugin about 60% wet. Guaranteed satisfaction!

Jan 8, 2024 at 12:47 PM Post #2,053 of 2,094
What's up guys, new member (also pretty new to IEMs) here looking for recommendations in the sub-300 price range. Looking for something with good bass punch but not muddy or distorted.

3 example songs of metal I listen to is:

Gojira- Heaviest matter of the Universe
Orbit Culture - Nensha
Periphery - Atropos

I've heard good things about the Aful P5 but wanted some other possible options before pulling the trigger.

Jan 8, 2024 at 11:53 PM Post #2,054 of 2,094
Canadian company PSB recently came out with their true wireless microplanar IEMs. I blind purchased them without any review cuz I love full size planars. Boy do they rock. Highly recommend, the treble extension is fantastic. Dual driver so bass hits pretty well too, but not muddy.

Jan 10, 2024 at 11:42 AM Post #2,055 of 2,094
What's up guys, new member (also pretty new to IEMs) here looking for recommendations in the sub-300 price range. Looking for something with good bass punch but not muddy or distorted.

3 example songs of metal I listen to is:

Gojira- Heaviest matter of the Universe
Orbit Culture - Nensha
Periphery - Atropos

I've heard good things about the Aful P5 but wanted some other possible options before pulling the trigger.
your tracks play very cool with xenns mangird top . I was recommended to buy them here on the forum. the price was 400 at the sale of 11.11 on AliExpress.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back