IEM for metal music and hard rock - ultimate solution
Jul 26, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #4 of 2,094
Dunu DN-2000J (AC/DC, MachineHead, Rammstein)
Good bass slam for rock and metal. Highs can be a little sparkling for some, but I tamed mine by getting comply tips for them. Near perfect sound now.

Jul 26, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #5 of 2,094
Use equalized b200 v1. Bass is to much for me, other parts are just right in sense that are very forgiving but detailed, thick enough and not axed to much. Thought, ok but it doesn't scale well, but I was wrong . Used them with Mojo and HRT microstreamer and they respond very well and nicely differentiate the two sources.

Listening to Hiss Spun by Chelsea second time in a row.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 2:57 AM Post #8 of 2,094
Salut!

Personally, I've not found headphones more-or-less suited for heavy metal, yet.
Portable phones-wise, for example, I love the AT ESW9s, which are renowned for being 'slow'. I LOVE their sound. Incredible headphones.

IEM-wise, I was actually trying the Massdrop x NuForce EDC3 just yesterday and while they're extremely bass-light, they're very accurate. Same with the Massdrop Plus, although these are a little more balanced.
In-spite of these, my dailies are the Westone W20s which just sound accurate. Probably nothing mind-blowing, but they have good sound for $300, are incredibly comfortable, and well... are just great IEMs.

I listen to a lot of Technical Death Metal bands, or Black Metal. This brings two issues:
* instrument separation and non-bloated bass/midrange are paramount here to really hear all instruments in techdeath tracks
* Super accurate headphones will make Black Metal tracks sound... well, exactly as intended: terrible. This is a genre where poor production is one of the key tenets

Hence even within metal, there's many types of headphones for the many types of Metal, to my mind.

Jul 29, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #9 of 2,094
This is a good idea for a thread indeed. My friend is a metal listener like me but he prefers IEM so this will help me recommend something interesting to him.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #10 of 2,094
* Super accurate headphones will make Black Metal tracks sound... well, exactly as intended: terrible. This is a genre where poor production is one of the key tenets
Hhahhah, you absolutely nailed it man :beyersmile:. Check the new Imber Luminis album by the way:smile_phones:.

Jul 29, 2018 at 6:56 PM Post #11 of 2,094
I use the Tin audio T2 and Shure SE215/SPE to listen to metal mostly.
I must say the 215 is pretty good at droney stuff(Moss,Hyatari etc) and Black Metal.
The T2 is very nice for stuff like Devin Townsend, Prog etc. (currently enjoying the T2 a lot)
I have the same issue as OP. Prefer IEMs but not too many reviews which focus on/address congested metal music.
wonder how the Etymotic ER4XR or hf5 for metal? Any owners here? been toying with the idea.
I like cold and analytical sounding too.

Jul 29, 2018 at 7:43 PM Post #12 of 2,094
For -core type, I've found my favorite to be the Audeze iSine 20 (or 10). I'll throw on 1more duals, with foam tips if I need more privacy in the office. But after reading up on Metal-Fi forums I'm waiting on the Periodic Audio Be to show up and hope they live up to the hype, for a better closed IEM solution for me.

I prefer kick drums that I can feel and for cymbals to not sound artificial, and everything to not be a congested/bloated mess.

Jul 30, 2018 at 3:50 PM Post #14 of 2,094
Just got my KZ ED16 and I must say after a day of using it, it's pretty darn good for its price. a bit recessed mids but fun sounding with sparkling highs. Initially the highs were piercing and artificial sounding but after a few hours thuings are settling in better. , Anacrusis - screams and whispers album sounds pretty sweet with a punchy kick drum and pleasant highs. I'm liking the ED16 for a budget-fi.

Jul 31, 2018 at 4:14 AM Post #15 of 2,094
In terms of IEMs the best of the best for me are CA Andromeda - amazing piece of sound, fast, dynamic, great downstage (for IEMs), however they are sensitive and with 12.8 ohms you have to be careful with source output impedance.
I personally have MEE P1 and Aune E1 - both are also amazing in heavy music.

Tested on mostly modern metal, almost every subgerne without doom, black and extreme death branches - Trivium, Lamb of God, Devin Townsend, Between the Buried and Me, Shining (Nor), Behemoth, The Dillinger Escape Plan - with some classics: Fear Factory, Death, Testament, Annihilator. I listen to plenty of bands but these are recently the most frequently played.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back