iDSD micro Black Label. Tour details (page 147). Release info (page 153).
Jul 24, 2014 at 3:23 AM Post #1,547 of 4,252
  Got the same message from Bonnie at Avatar Acoustics and they are working late today!

yeah, she called me at around 10:45pm east coast time...she said, "i know how crazy you audiophiles are so..." she wanted to let me know that it was indeed on its way to me. really great customer service, if you ask me. 

Jul 24, 2014 at 4:22 AM Post #1,548 of 4,252
(Kind of) impressions of the idsd micro 

https://translate.google.co.il/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=iw&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.stereosound.co.jp%2Freview%2Farticle%2F2014%2F07%2F20%2F31421.html&edit-text=

"micro iDSD of iFI-Audio is unrivaled in the specification and state-of-the-art specs. I have fallen in love with a robust casing and overwhelming sound quality"

Jul 24, 2014 at 4:37 AM Post #1,549 of 4,252
I wonder if Avatar Acoustics is "Drop Shipping" for their USA Dealers?
I ordered mine from Music Direct... No Email yet...
​Otherwise it will go from Georgia to Illinois to Arizona... 
wink_face.gif

Free 2.8 MHz sample Music files...
http://audiogate.bluecoastrecords.com/audiogate-free-downloads

Jul 24, 2014 at 6:15 AM Post #1,550 of 4,252
A Teeny-Weeny update

Hi,

As you all know, the global launch is Monday 28 July.

This is ~when the retailers should have the micro iDSD in store - for pickup by you.

As you have seen, among others, Avatar Acoustics (AMR/iFi: North America) has started to ship units out to the Head-Fi winners, customers and retailers. They have only just started the delivery process so please allow them some slack as they are jammed out. As are all our other partners!

The same case applies in other countries but as usual, it is not an exact science; shipping, customs, and all that jazz.

Nonetheless, around the globe we are still on track and next week is the crucial time when you all should be receiving your units.

For the Head-Fi Winners, we have emailed you to update you but if you have not heard from us by tomorrow, then please get in touch as we are good but we ain't psychic! 
biggrin.gif

For other customers, please contact your retailer and ask them to please keep you updated.

If you get no joy, drop us a PM or email: one of our iCLUB staff: owend@ifi-audio.com

He will personally look into your case.

Once we know all the 512 Octa-Adopters have pretty much got their paws on the their micro iDSD, then we have another fun announcement.

Watch this space. 
popcorn.gif

Thank you.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jul 24, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #1,552 of 4,252
  SmartPower® (part 2)

Cont'd from our previous article.

Full cycles not good for any battery
Of course, full cycles stress the battery most, so try not to do it all the time, normally 200-400 Cycles can be expected until the battery capacity has dropped to 70% (official definition of when the "battery needs replacing")...

And always, if you do not play music for 3 minutes, the iDSD micro goes to sleep, wakeup is ~1 second... So you can probably save a fair few cycles just from that.

iBattery?
Additionally the latest revision of the battery management system and software also automatically and transparently handles iPhone, iPad and Android Phones/Tablets WITHOUT first engaging battery mode. They do not produce "accessory draws too much power" errors, as for example happens with the iDSD nano if battery mode is not engaged.

However some power is however drawn from the phone/pad, so to maximise the battery play time in your smart device you should still engage battery mode. In Battery mode even in sleep-charge mode the iDSD micro will not draw power from a Smart device, only from full power USB ports and chargers.

On the other hand, if turned off by the power switch, the iDSD micro will charge from any power source offered (it won’t even scoff at an iPhone or iPad) at the maximum rate supported.

Use Apple Charger or Higher-Power USB ports
Nowadays, higher-powered ports/charges are becoming more ubiquitous. The micro iDSD takes advantage of this so it recharges faster.

Dedicated chargers complying with USB IF BC1.2 standards (anything but Apple, in essence) are detected as offering much higher charge currents, as are the high-power USB ports on many recent desktop and laptop PC’s. Such chargers# and USB ports can support charging at much faster rates than a standard PC USB Port, offering as much as three times the current of a standard USB port, cutting charge time down drastically.

This is a table of the different chargers and their typical charge times with the micro iDSD.

Source
Est Charge Time
High-Power Charger
6-10 hours
Normal-Power Charger
10-20 hours
Low-Power Charger
20+ hours

As USB charging is 5v, then using even the most high-powered iPad charger at 5.1v is fine.

As you can see, the Battery management system alone is so smart; it should a PhD or two, really.

Summary
  • Outta the box, with the unit off, give the micro iDSD its first full charge: when the blue light is out = 100% full.
  • Micro iDSD is able to take advantage of latest generation high-power USB ports found in the newest laptops
  • SmartPower® means Micro iDSD automatically goes into sleep mode if no input or output signal has been absent for a time
  • Battery protection circuitry ensures customer has to do nothing as it covers virtually every eventuality
  • Maximum battery life measures means you always get the most juice all of the time for the longest time
  • Full-compatible with Apple and similar smart devices, no more “this draws too much power message”
  • All Apple chargers work including the iPad charger, these charger faster from 0%>100% so less than 12-24 hours for a full charge on standard USB ports. Only use genuine chargers from Apple/Samsung or similar. Ideally use latest design USB cables such as the supplied USB3.0 or Mercury or Gemini USB cables as these carry the maximum current.

While on the exterior, the battery inside the micro iDSD just gets on with things, believe us when we say, OMG this bugger was hard to implement!!!

# Please make sure to only buy genuine branded chargers/adapters, many cheap Apple copies and other cheap chargers offered via the net and by street vendors not only do not work correctly (they rarely offer the supposed current) but many also fail electrical safety standards. In some cases such chargers have been linked to severe injury and even death!

I would happily Crowd-Fund an ifi turntable! Me yes me. You guys just know so much beyond what other manufacturers spiel like linear power supply and femto clocks and digital signal processing. Fantastic.

Jul 24, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #1,553 of 4,252
Called by Avatar last night with an update that my unit would be sent soon. Woohoo!

Jul 24, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #1,554 of 4,252
  I would happily Crowd-Fund an ifi turntable! Me yes me. You guys just know so much beyond what other manufacturers spiel like linear power supply and femto clocks and digital signal processing. Fantastic.

you should read the thread. ifi wont do crowd funding and they wont do a turntable either, they have clearly stated that before 
wink.gif

Jul 24, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #1,555 of 4,252
Hello, Crazy Audiophile Friends,

I just want to give you an update on the disbursement of the Micro iDSD here in the US.

I kept a dated listed of who ordered and paid.  It's only fair that if you pony up the cash, you get your order first.  My first shipment only had a handful of iDSD, so I went down the list.  This list included Dealers.  I will be sending out a few to dealers, trying to spread the wealth around for everyone, but none of the dealers will get their full order this round.  When my next batch arrives I will complete the dealer's orders.

I apologize if this inconveniences anyone.  We are working hard to get the product out as soon as we get it, even if that means working till midnight.

If anyone is in the DC area, Avatar will have iFi at the Capitol Audio Fest for you to listen to.  Drop by and say hi to James who hung out working until almost 10 pm last night and had to be up early to drive to DC.  To be young again!  :<)

Bonnie

Jul 24, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #1,557 of 4,252
  Already using the LSR305  and the airmotiv 6 with my nano.

Looking forward to your first impressions. Active monitors... comparisons with the little brother the nano... Man you are going to be having so much fun in a couple of days !

Hopefully the others will also share their impressions with their speakers as well... (well headphones are a big given ...)

Roamling with Genelecs? Couple of others?

Jul 24, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #1,558 of 4,252

Looking forward to your first impressions. Active monitors... comparisons with the little brother the nano... Man you are going to be having so much fun in a couple of days !

Hopefully the others will also share their impressions with their speakers as well... (well headphones are a big given ...)

Roamling with Genelecs? 

well not there yet, it was just a thought. I am still running my analog speaker setup. I will run the micro iDSD into my passive amp for now and gather impressions that way, but the setup with some active speakers is very tempting when considering that 80% of my music collection is digital anyway and can run from a laptop. I hope to move to an all active setup soon, with a laptop as the main source and the micro iDSD, and even more tempting with a mini iDSD... the future looks bright!

Jul 24, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #1,559 of 4,252

I have quite a few good headphones on hand to check the headphone out of the micro as well. Normally I use my tube amps to drive the headphones but also have two other solid state amps that can drive headphones directly. Lots of choices.  Maybe down the road I can try the micro on the Sound Labs electrostatic speakers being driven by Quicksilver monoblocks. I know of another person that has the Sound labs as well. I may send up a meeting with CAS to demo the micro iDSD later this year or early next year. I have not seen AMR or IFI on the roster for the 2014 RMAF at this time.

Jul 24, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #1,560 of 4,252
I have quite a few good headphones on hand to check the headphone out of the micro as well. Normally I use my tube amps to drive the headphones but also have two other solid state amps that can drive headphones directly. Lots of choices.  Maybe down the road I can try the micro on the Sound Labs electrostatic speakers being driven by Quicksilver monoblocks. I know of another person that has the Sound labs as well. I may send up a meeting with CAS to demo the micro iDSD later this year or early next year. I have not seen AMR or IFI on the roster for the 2014 RMAF at this time.

Please post impressions of HD800 , if u have it ^_^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back