iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Nov 22, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #586 of 6,795
Having had the DX50, the X5 and the Pono, my AK120ll is VERY much better in overall sound and UI.  3X?  No.  But very much better?  You bet.  For me, the price was the sticking point but I got it through Amazon with an eye to returning it if it didn't do the trick.  I still have it.  Incredible sound (and I loved the sound of the Pono and X5, this is just....better), and the UI is a dream.  The only real UI issue on the AK thread is about how big the on-screen buttons are.  That should tell you something about the UI.  I'm not saying go out and buy it, just pointing out that it really is very good (even for the price).  Oh, and the sound quality of the 120ll and the 240 are apparently identical, so other than for a bit more storage size on the 240 I can't see any reason to get one.  There's also a lot of positive talk about the sq of the 100ll, which has a price point closer to the "lower" priced DAPs.  

Get on outta here before your AK fanboyism bursts at the seams. :p

Someone send him back to the AK thread!

(this one's a loose canon)

Nov 22, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #587 of 6,795
One thing I have noticed is that the line out levels are way too hot.
I cannot use line out out all in my vehicle.  Its just too hot.  The sound is
just too loud and or distorted.  If I use the headphone jack, everything
is fine but that leaves me with double amping, which i'd rather not have to do.

Nov 22, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #588 of 6,795

I've not had any issues using portable amps, can you test your unit with another amp (besides the car stereo). It may be the cars aux in is unable to take the line out signal.

If this is the case I'd look into a cheap volume attenuator to place between the line out and aux in on your car system to lower the output signal.

Nov 22, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #589 of 6,795
  ...and the UI is a dream.

That's enough to convince me to buy an AK. But that's because I'm a UI snob. I love a good UI, and loathe a poor one.

Alas, I'm a poor UI snob. Sigh. Champagne dreams and a beer budget.

Nov 22, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #590 of 6,795
Guys, perhaps consider the Hidizs AP100 which has the same DAC chip (but only one).

It has a variable volume Line-out which can be handy and a powerful amp section.

Cayin also has the N5 DAP.

I have now mentioned all 3 DAP's on all 3 threads for fairness.

I am an AP100 fanboy until I find something better!
wink.gif

I previously had the Ibasso DX 50 and 90, Fiio X3 and X5.

Nov 22, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #592 of 6,795

Could some1 plz please point me to an AK120/240/Jr. thread where i can read about the sound caracteristics and UI of the DX80, cause i can't find it here in this thread? 
confused_face_2.gif

Nov 22, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #594 of 6,795
  The Jr. is supposed to be quite good and that is at a gourmet hot dog price point.

Great but the DX80 costs less than that gourmet hot dog, and sounds as good as the AK100II, not the mark II the 100II. The screen use is for me equally as easy to use. While the sound is a little different from each, which is to be expected, I find the dynamics of the DX80 to be a little greater, a little better transient response. 

Nov 22, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #595 of 6,795
Get on outta here before your AK fanboyism bursts at the seams. :p

Someone send him back to the AK thread!

(this one's a loose canon)

Are be more of us, lurkin' in the shadows. :cool:

Nov 22, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #597 of 6,795
Wow, one would think that we would be talking about ibasso products on an ibasso thread. Good for you guys that own AK products; why don't you go to the AK threads and talk about how awesome you guys are!

Nov 22, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #599 of 6,795
I'm not directing my statement directly towards anyone in particular. My point is there is too much discussion going on about AK products on an iBasso thread. I check this thread wanting to find out info on the DX80, hence it is a thread for the DX80. I get that some want to hear comparisons from DAP A/B compared to the DX80 and that is fine. But to come on this thread discussing AK and how it is a superior product and trash an iBasso product (that most probably haven't heard yet), should go elsewhere.

Nov 22, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #600 of 6,795

The line level output of DX80 is pretty high voltage for a consumer product standard, and unfortunately this is the way most DAPs are going these days.
My Chord Mojo has even higher line out voltage.

DX80's line out does 1.62 Vrms on a full scale digital signal (1kHz 0dBFS) on a standard 47k ohm line input like most consumer preamps, and it maintains it fairly well all the way down to 600 ohms.

Just as a generic comparison,

0.32 Vrms (0.9 Vp-p) at 47k ohms (consumer line output, according to Wikipedia: 10dBv)
0.50 Vrms (1.4 Vp-p) at 47k ohms (typical target for consumer audio e.g. CD players)
1.22 Vrms (3.5 Vp-p) at 600 ohms (professional studio gear in USA: +4dBU)
1.55 Vrms (4.4 Vp-p) at 600 ohms (professional studio gear in Europe: +6dBU)

In reality, consumer audio standards in countries like Japan states the line input needs to handle up to 2 Vrms mainly because some idiot might use a smartphone or laptop headphone output as a line output to an amp, and crank it up to max volume (e.g. iPhone does around 1.1Vrms at max).

Basically your amp will clip and distort if it was not designed to handle these kinds of loads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back