iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Jan 14, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #6,781 of 6,795
Not sure where to post this, but thought someone may be interested. My iBasso DX80 battery had pretty much failed. It never got to 100% charged, would quickly lose charge even when turned off and then would drain quickly in use.

I decided to try to replace it myself as my unit is out of warranty. I found a replacement battery on aliexpress, never used them before but the battery arrived within 2 weeks. I found a rough guide on here and don't try this if you arent either confident you wont mess it up or (like me) accept the unit is trashed if you don't, but essentially you:

1) Remove the 4 rubber bungs (2 on each side). I used a pick.
2) Remove the 4 screws doing 1) reveals.
3) Use a slim flat head screwdriver (or something similar) to prise open the case
4) pull out the top and bottom bits (where the headphone goes in at the bottom / usb etc goes in at the top)
5) then the top should come off. Be careful from this point on, always support the screen section as it is only connected by thin ribbons. I suspect if you break them then you are screwed. I never let it go over 90 degrees over.
6) There are 5 small black screws, one is below a sticker at the top right, the other is below a capacitor at them bottom left which you will need to prise up very very carefully. take them all out.
7) then you can take out the board, under which is the battery. Disconnect it and then carefully remove it. The sticky stuff is sticky and the battery is flimsy, so be careful. You don't want to puncture this!
8) replace the battery. Mine was thinner / the sticky stuff must have been thicker than I remember because I had to put some padding (cardboard) to stop the battery rattling around.
9) reverse the steps to put it back together. Only thing I haven't worked out yet is whether to glue the bungs back in. I may try with either a very small blob of hot glue or maybe some double sided tape.

Now to see if the battery is any better, perhaps it is a hardware thing?

hope this helps someone in the future.

IMG_0885.jpg
IMG_0887.jpg
IMG_0888v2.jpg
IMG_0884.jpg

Jan 14, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #6,782 of 6,795
Not sure where to post this, but thought someone may be interested. My iBasso DX80 battery had pretty much failed. It never got to 100% charged, would quickly lose charge even when turned off and then would drain quickly in use.

I decided to try to replace it myself as my unit is out of warranty. I found a replacement battery on aliexpress, never used them before but the battery arrived within 2 weeks. I found a rough guide on here and don't try this if you arent either confident you wont mess it up or (like me) accept the unit is trashed if you don't, but essentially you:

1) Remove the 4 rubber bungs (2 on each side). I used a pick.
2) Remove the 4 screws doing 1) reveals.
3) Use a slim flat head screwdriver (or something similar) to prise open the case
4) pull out the top and bottom bits (where the headphone goes in at the bottom / usb etc goes in at the top)
5) then the top should come off. Be careful from this point on, always support the screen section as it is only connected by thin ribbons. I suspect if you break them then you are screwed. I never let it go over 90 degrees over.
6) There are 5 small black screws, one is below a sticker at the top right, the other is below a capacitor at them bottom left which you will need to prise up very very carefully. take them all out.
7) then you can take out the board, under which is the battery. Disconnect it and then carefully remove it. The sticky stuff is sticky and the battery is flimsy, so be careful. You don't want to puncture this!
8) replace the battery. Mine was thinner / the sticky stuff must have been thicker than I remember because I had to put some padding (cardboard) to stop the battery rattling around.
9) reverse the steps to put it back together. Only thing I haven't worked out yet is whether to glue the bungs back in. I may try with either a very small blob of hot glue or maybe some double sided tape.

Now to see if the battery is any better, perhaps it is a hardware thing?

hope this helps someone in the future.

Nice guide to battery replacement. Photographs are great. A link to the battery on Aliexpress would be nice.

Apr 22, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #6,784 of 6,795
Bought mine about 3 years ago, but i only used in about 20 times, it sat there in my drawer full charged, today I take it out and found out the battery drain too fast. I plugged it to my computer usb for charging but the percentage went up to 65% then to 45% while plugging. So disappointed, I did not use it that much.

I dont know if iBasso has authorized/ repair shop in Canada for battery replacement.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #6,785 of 6,795
Bought mine about 3 years ago, but i only used in about 20 times, it sat there in my drawer full charged, today I take it out and found out the battery drain too fast. I plugged it to my computer usb for charging but the percentage went up to 65% then to 45% while plugging. So disappointed, I did not use it that much.

I dont know if iBasso has authorized/ repair shop in Canada for battery replacement.
You can email me at paul@ibasso.com for an RMA for battery replacement. A battery should be stored at approximately 80% for best results. Also you can try discharging to about 20% and then charging with a standard charger.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Jul 13, 2020 at 1:39 AM Post #6,789 of 6,795
is there any dx80 user use a portable dac (not dac/amp) ? I wonder it is because my s-pdif port of my dx80 is rarely use now same as the phone out hehe
Do you mean using the DX80's SPDIF to feed an external dac? I use it sometimes for to feed a Mojo.

Also, I'd have to say iBasso's service and follow-up is excellent. I just sent them my DX80 to have the battery replaced and look into occasional stutter on the line out. It was all done within a few days and only cost 15 USD. I've previously had the battery on a DX200 replaced by them too and both times have been smooth experiences. Good to see that even for something older like a DX80 there is still follow-up and support, it's not all about having to throw it away for the latest player instead.

Jul 13, 2020 at 6:37 AM Post #6,790 of 6,795
Do you mean using the DX80's SPDIF to feed an external dac? I use it sometimes for to feed a Mojo.

Also, I'd have to say iBasso's service and follow-up is excellent. I just sent them my DX80 to have the battery replaced and look into occasional stutter on the line out. It was all done within a few days and only cost 15 USD. I've previously had the battery on a DX200 replaced by them too and both times have been smooth experiences. Good to see that even for something older like a DX80 there is still follow-up and support, it's not all about having to throw it away for the latest player instead.

yes I mean external dac not combo dac+amp (but it's seems to be a rare item a portable dac standalone) might be a dac with similiar size as dx80 and better dac chip cause I'm now using e12a with dx80 (I wanna try three stacking combos), and yes I also hear occasional stutter when using line out of dx80.

Jul 13, 2020 at 8:58 PM Post #6,791 of 6,795
yes I mean external dac not combo dac+amp (but it's seems to be a rare item a portable dac standalone) might be a dac with similiar size as dx80 and better dac chip cause I'm now using e12a with dx80 (I wanna try three stacking combos), and yes I also hear occasional stutter when using line out of dx80.
I've never heard it, but the Oriolus BD20 is a portable balanced DAC that's a similar size to the DX80: https://www.aliexpress.com/i/4000883742008.html. It has an ES9038Pro chip and takes SPDIF in.

Jan 1, 2021 at 2:25 AM Post #6,792 of 6,795
You can email me at paul@ibasso.com for an RMA for battery replacement. A battery should be stored at approximately 80% for best results. Also you can try discharging to about 20% and then charging with a standard charger.

Hi Paul,

A very happy new year to you. My iBasso DX80 has started playing up these past few days. It shuts off unexpectedly when the battery is approx 50-60%, and that now happens pretty much every time I play something (battery plummets when fully charged, then shuts off). I have tried a factory reset. No joy. I am now going to reinstall V1.6 firmware to see if that helps. If not, should I liaise with you to order a battery replacement?

Thanks.
Scot

Jan 1, 2021 at 11:37 PM Post #6,793 of 6,795
Hi Paul,

A very happy new year to you. My iBasso DX80 has started playing up these past few days. It shuts off unexpectedly when the battery is approx 50-60%, and that now happens pretty much every time I play something (battery plummets when fully charged, then shuts off). I have tried a factory reset. No joy. I am now going to reinstall V1.6 firmware to see if that helps. If not, should I liaise with you to order a battery replacement?

Thanks.
Scot

Yes, it sounds like you need a battery. You can contact me at paul@ibasso.com

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Apr 3, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #6,795 of 6,795
Does anyone know where i can get a replacement spidif/coax cable? Really like the size of the one that came with it but my cable was recently lost.

Thanks!
You can have mine if you want it - PM me your address & I'll pop it in the post

Users who are viewing this thread

Back