iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Nov 21, 2015 at 7:25 AM Post #571 of 6,795

I have an AK100 Mk2 and it's absolutely terrible in terms of UI. It's slow, buggy and prone to regular freezing. Ok, it's Astell & Kern's first effort and probably AK100II is a big improvement but this gadget is sometimes too close to being unusable. No idea about DX80 UI but I will give it a try when it's going to be available in Europe.

Yes, I remember reading about the AK100's UI being pretty average at best. But if you read the reviews on the AK jr, then you'd see how much they've improved on UI. Also, I've had a chance to try some of the AK players at demos and they're actually very good. Definitely better than my DX90. I think I've tried the AK120 and the AK240. 

As for SQ. Well, unless I actually have money to spend, I'd stick with my DX90 and other players at under 500. It's not that the more expensive players like the Plenue P1 or the AK isn't worth it. But an 800 dollar player doesn't outperform the 400 dollar one by 200%. More like 20% at best. 

Anyway, hope to read a comparison between the AK100ii and the DX80. Please post impressions and comparisons if you have the time. :)

Nov 21, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #573 of 6,795
I think I might bite the bullet on the dx80 I tried the same sd card in my x5ii in the dx90 and everything loaded faster after a scan vs the x5. Album load was 1-2 sec compared to 10-25 sec on the x5 and folder browsing was about the same. All songs was faster but having 12000 songs guarantees lag so if the dx80 is faster loading I am very excited to see how the ui compares to the two.

Also does the media scan still inputs the folder on the internal storage or on the sd card its self?

Nov 21, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #575 of 6,795
Hi,

I also owned a 1540 and I'm looking for a DX80. Do you think the DX80 is able to drive easily the srh1540? I mean, do this has enough power for listening at "enjoyable" levels without an extra amp?

Thanks.

What I would actually do, if I were you, is sell your 1540 and use the money to buy one of the many, many haedphones out there which are both cheaper and also much better sounding.  The 1540 is really only decent at best, and for its current asking-price of $499.99 it is grossly overpriced.  The signature is remarkably unbalanced, with extremely recessed mids.

That being said, yes, the SRH-1540 will be MORE than adequately driven to its full potential by the output power of the DX80.  They should have no problem being driven well by any audiophile-type DAP's, really. . .

Nov 21, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #576 of 6,795

What I would actually do, if I were you, is sell your 1540 and use the money to buy one of the many, many haedphones out there which are both cheaper and also much better sounding.  The 1540 is really only decent at best, and for its current asking-price of $499.99 it is grossly overpriced.  The signature is remarkably unbalanced, with extremely recessed mids.

Hi,

First of all, sorry about my poor english (being French), that being said, I beg to differ, quite a lot!

I've been looking for the "perfect" closed headphones for money for a long while, and after several months of search, and tried and owned about 20 closed cans (from 200 to 600€, almost the same in USD), I'd choose the SRH1540. Why? My priorities were a huge and coherent soundstage, these have. A warm and smooth sound (I personally hate brightness), these have. Premium confort, these have. Tight, fast and deep bass, these have (not being a basshead, however).

To my tastes (and to my tastes only), these are the best closed cans I've heard, thought I know they aren't the more neutral or balanced around. They are actually driven by an Onkyo DAC-HA200 (linked to my Galaxy S6 Edge, this set is going to change for the DX80, or Aune M2 for use reasons), a Cambridge DacMagic plus, or a Aune S16...and...I'm happy with the 1540s and there is no way I plan to sell them!

Nov 21, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #577 of 6,795
  Hi,

First of all, sorry about my poor english (being French), that being said, I beg to differ, quite a lot!

I've been looking for the "perfect" closed headphones for money for a long while, and after several months of search, and tried and owned about 20 closed cans (from 200 to 600€, almost the same in USD), I'd choose the SRH1540. Why? My priorities were a huge and coherent soundstage, these have. A warm and smooth sound (I personally hate brightness), these have. Premium confort, these have. Tight, fast and deep bass, these have (not being a basshead, however).

To my tastes (and to my tastes only), these are the best closed cans I've heard, thought I know they aren't the more neutral or balanced around. They are actually driven by an Onkyo DAC-HA200 (linked to my Galaxy S6 Edge, this set is going to change for the DX80, or Aune M2 for use reasons), a Cambridge DacMagic plus, or a Aune S16...and...I'm happy with the 1540s and there is no way I plan to sell them!

In terms of all the aspects you said, they ARE great. . .the smoothness, comfort, bass, soundstage.  However, I think they are not worth 500 dollars in terms of: 1)  How they present the mids, they are VERY recessed and just sound distant to me 2) Detail/clarity, I'd just expect more in that regard for 500 dollars.

It's just that I think they're overpriced.  I think they'd be very good headphones if they were 300 dollars, haha.

Nov 21, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #578 of 6,795

In terms of all the aspects you said, they ARE great. . .the smoothness, comfort, bass, soundstage.  However, I think they are not worth 500 dollars in terms of: 1)  How they present the mids, they are VERY recessed and just sound distant to me 2) Detail/clarity, I'd just expect more in that regard for 500 dollars.

It's just that I think they're overpriced.  I think they'd be very good headphones if they were 300 dollars, haha.

Well, I understand what are you saying about mids and clarity and you are technically right (I don't find mids "VERY recessed" but good enough, thought I have to admit these aren't their best part). Thing is: I lack vocabulary to explain this in details, but I listened others headphones which were better than 1540s on these aspects, but always brighter in the treble region. My ears are VERY sensitive to treble and I am unable to tolerate any kind or brigtness or some kind of "agressive" high-mid and I'm ready to lose a bit details for a smoother listening.

Back to DX80, I'm going to listen it in Audiogarden next week and will able to compare against X5ii and others. I will give my impressions soon. A little word about Audiogarden: They sell the DX80 and ship world-while. I know their physical shop and they are reliable, if some European buyers are interested. I personally bought them an iBasso D14, and Caying C5 DAC.

Nov 21, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #579 of 6,795
Guys, can someone please give me a run down on using DX80 as a DAC atm?

Is this possible right now or are we waiting for a driver? 

I'm using Windows 7 64bit. Can I get this working atm, or can someone please explain for me?

Nov 21, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #580 of 6,795
I always thought that the SRH1540 would main the Shure sound? Basically good bass and liquid smooth buttery mids with a slightly rolled off treble? It's a bit hard for me to picture a Shure headphone with recessed mids...  a shame. I never had a chance to listen for myself. 

Nov 21, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #581 of 6,795

I'm using Windows 7 64bit. Can I get this working atm, or can someone please explain for me?

I'm using a Mac so I didn't need a driver. High res PCM and DoP DSD works fine.

I read some posts earlier (or on another DX80 thread) about using a generic Thesycon driver from another USB DAC and manually installing, but I'm just waiting for the official driver release from iBasso.

I don't know why the driver is taking so long to release, considering the USB interface chip is pretty generic.

Nov 22, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #582 of 6,795

I'm using a Mac so I didn't need a driver. High res PCM and DoP DSD works fine.

I read some posts earlier (or on another DX80 thread) about using a generic Thesycon driver from another USB DAC and manually installing, but I'm just waiting for the official driver release from iBasso.

I don't know why the driver is taking so long to release, considering the USB interface chip is pretty generic.

Alright thanks mate, I will wait for the official driver as well.

Nov 22, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #583 of 6,795

Anyone tried the DX80 as USB DAC on a Windows PC yet ? On the Webpage it says it uses Thesycon USB drivers, didn't have the chance to try it yet. Would be nice to use it as a ASIO device because i am currently in Thailand for 2 years because of a job (don't have my homestudio with me) and want to use it for music production purposes.

We will be making the driver available on our website for Windows.

Last I heard

Nov 22, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #584 of 6,795

Last I heard

Thanks mate. 
smile.gif

Nov 22, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #585 of 6,795
  It basically comes down to your overall expectations of the brand. Is a Mercedes Benz an overpriced car just because it costs 3 times more than the Toyota Camry? I mean, both cars are roughly the same size, and the Camry isn't all that bad to drive. It certainly isn't 33% of what the Benz feels like to drive. It's a similar case here. The AK will no doubt be good, but whether it's worth paying for is something that only you can determine. And we can't call people who have actually bought AK players to be sheep either. 

AK is about the overall experience not just SQ. In terms of SQ, I don't think that the AK players are anything to laugh at. They're strong performing devices, but a large portion of their R&D is also dedicated to things that make a player more intuitive, look better or interface better. Ask anyone who owns an AK if he has a bad experience with the UI. The numbers are probably much fewer than those in the Fiio or iBasso camp. Even now I've seen several quibbles about Windows driver support and FW upgrades here. What iBasso prioritizes above all else is performance to price ratio, followed by device aesthetics and UI etc. AK values different things in their design pecking order so isn't purely aimed at just audiophiles, but also audio enthusiasts, who value different things. I consider myself to be an enthusiast, and that means that there are certain things I will not do or buy in the name of audiophilia, like 200 dollar cables, or lug around desktop amp/dacs as portable rigs or invest in headphones over 2000 dollars. And likewise, there are certain things I expect as a given in my DAPs. For example, I also own an IHIFI 770 player from Xuelin. And while the device is extremely competent sound-wise, it's a crapper when it comes to UI. One of the worst I've seen in a player. It sounds about 90% as good as a DX90 for far less than half the price. It should be an audiophile's best friend. But I wouldn't get another one because I hate using it. I love listening to it. But I hate dealing with it.

So everyone's mileage will vary and different priorities will be assigned to devices. If you are the sort of person who earns 80k or more per year, plunking down 2400 dollars on a AK240 for all the other reasons alongside SQ makes sense. But if you're like me, and feel that at this moment in time you can't justify that kind of money on a DAP and are willing to put up with the small issues with UI or ergonomics, then the DX80 makes a whole lot of sense.

Where I am, I can get the AK jr for 330 so definitely worth considering. But at 500? Yeah, I'd take the DX80 or the X5ii any day. I would get the DX80 over the X5ii because I love my DX90 and am an iBasso fan. Xuelin is also making huge strides in their DAPs. But aren't much good for anything other than their value ratio but not enough to make me pick one up again any time soon.

If I made even 60k per year, then I'd be able to consider players like the AK240 or at least the more mainstream stuff like the AK120ii. But that's neither here or now.  

Having had the DX50, the X5 and the Pono, my AK120ll is VERY much better in overall sound and UI.  3X?  No.  But very much better?  You bet.  For me, the price was the sticking point but I got it through Amazon with an eye to returning it if it didn't do the trick.  I still have it.  Incredible sound (and I loved the sound of the Pono and X5, this is just....better), and the UI is a dream.  The only real UI issue on the AK thread is about how big the on-screen buttons are.  That should tell you something about the UI.  I'm not saying go out and buy it, just pointing out that it really is very good (even for the price).  Oh, and the sound quality of the 120ll and the 240 are apparently identical, so other than for a bit more storage size on the 240 I can't see any reason to get one.  There's also a lot of positive talk about the sq of the 100ll, which has a price point closer to the "lower" priced DAPs.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back