iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Nov 6, 2023 at 6:59 AM Post #14,491 of 14,614
Silly question here, but have you made sure that you don't have "volume limit" enabled? Also, what is your method of measuring these? Do you have something that is drawing power that would skew your reading?

It looks like you are getting more out of LO than advertised; I think that iBasso numbers are total not per channel (though I could be wrong about that). But, you are sorely lacking out of PO though.
I mean I'm more than willing to be wrong here, but I don't think I have any voltage limit on. I'll test again right now to be sure. As to how I'm testing it, I have a Klein Tools MM650 with alligator clips attached to the probes and a pentaconn to pentaconn aux cable. Then I just attach the probes and play a 1kHz test signal at high gain

Nov 6, 2023 at 7:11 AM Post #14,492 of 14,614
Silly question here, but have you made sure that you don't have "volume limit" enabled? Also, what is your method of measuring these? Do you have something that is drawing power that would skew your reading?

It looks like you are getting more out of LO than advertised; I think that iBasso numbers are total not per channel (though I could be wrong about that). But, you are sorely lacking out of PO though.
My second test pulls 1.341 Vrms left and 1.303 Vrms right on LO, and 0.46 Vrms even per channel on PO

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2023 at 7:45 AM Post #14,493 of 14,614
My second test pulls 1.341 Vrms left and 1.303 Vrms right on LO, and 0.46 Vrms even per channel on PO
I don't doubt you here; it wasn't my intention. I was just making sure that all your parameters are correct for the test, and I'll be honest, I am curios, now that you have brought it up. For instance, there is a volume limiter in settings, and since this is a digital volume, and does affect volume from LO, that volume max should indicate max voltage. The only other question is, are the numbers that iBasso gave under load (usually 1K), or unloaded? You would think that with no amp draw, it SHOULD be max voltage you are reading, but like you have said, those numbers look pretty low.

Have you tried reinstalling the last FW update on android 9? That is the first FW that supported Amp14 IIRC.

I am curios, have you tested in this manor the Amp13 or 11 or 12? I would be interested to see what those cards get unloaded?!

Nov 6, 2023 at 7:57 AM Post #14,494 of 14,614
I don't doubt you here; it wasn't my intention. I was just making sure that all your parameters are correct for the test, and I'll be honest, I am curios, now that you have brought it up. For instance, there is a volume limiter in settings, and since this is a digital volume, and does affect volume from LO, that volume max should indicate max voltage. The only other question is, are the numbers that iBasso gave under load (usually 1K), or unloaded? You would think that with no amp draw, it SHOULD be max voltage you are reading, but like you have said, those numbers look pretty low.

Have you tried reinstalling the last FW update on android 9? That is the first FW that supported Amp14 IIRC.

I am curios, have you tested in this manor the Amp13 or 11 or 12? I would be interested to see what those cards get unloaded?!
I've tested the AMP12 and got 6.015 per channel, even, which is below the stated power but consistent with some other sources, however sparse, I've found. The 11 and 13 reach their stated voltages +/- 5% I've found, so they're rated pretty accurately

Nov 6, 2023 at 7:58 AM Post #14,495 of 14,614

I haven't tested on the last Android 9 firmware though, I can give that a go later on

Nov 6, 2023 at 8:00 AM Post #14,496 of 14,614
Also, are you using a test tone? If so, are you using 1K or 400Hz. The only reason I asked is because most common multi-meters normally are meant for testing mains, and don't really have the bandwidth to test 1K (common in audio). This could skew the readings a little or a whole lot depending on the actual bandwidth of the meter. :)

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2023 at 8:05 AM Post #14,498 of 14,614
Also, are you using a test tone? If so, are you using 1K or 400Hz. The only reason I asked is because most common multi-meters normally are meant for testing mains, and don't really have the bandwidth to test 1K (common in audio). This could skew the readings a little or a whole lot depending on the actual bandwidth of the meter. :)
Yup, I thought this might be the case but the bandwidth for my multimeter goes from 1Hz to 500kHz and it does accurately report the frequency when I turn it to that setting. And it's no problem! I'm a big tinkerer lol I'm sure I'll figure out how to build custom ROMs for this eventually haha

Nov 6, 2023 at 8:14 AM Post #14,499 of 14,614
Yup, I thought this might be the case but the bandwidth for my multimeter goes from 1Hz to 500kHz and it does accurately report the frequency when I turn it to that setting.
I wonder then, if there is a lot of variance among the same model but different amp cards? That is very interesting.
And it's no problem! I'm a big tinkerer lol I'm sure I'll figure out how to build custom ROMs for this eventually haha
Now that would be really cool. I could be wrong here, but it seems as though someone that has the knowledge to build a ROM might accomplish it fairly easily. I would think that all you REALLY need to worry about is hooking the FPGA-Master rather than the android system, and you would have system wide bypass of the android limitations. Then you would be free to do whatever you want, because most of the rest of the system is all about software. :)

Nov 6, 2023 at 8:29 AM Post #14,500 of 14,614
I wonder then, if there is a lot of variance among the same model but different amp cards? That is very interesting.

Now that would be really cool. I could be wrong here, but it seems as though someone that has the knowledge to build a ROM might accomplish it fairly easily. I would think that all you REALLY need to worry about is hooking the FPGA-Master rather than the android system, and you would have system wide bypass of the android limitations. Then you would be free to do whatever you want, because most of the rest of the system is all about software. :)
I've built ROMs for devices with specialized hardware before, usually you can pull the necessary libraries directly off the device, and luckily the snapdragon 660 was used by a bunch of different devices so device trees aren't hard to find. The hardest part in terms of compatibility usually comes with going up a version of Android

Nov 6, 2023 at 9:20 AM Post #14,501 of 14,614
I've built ROMs for devices with specialized hardware before, usually you can pull the necessary libraries directly off the device, and luckily the snapdragon 660 was used by a bunch of different devices so device trees aren't hard to find. The hardest part in terms of compatibility usually comes with going up a version of Android
Well, hopefully in your case, the incompatibilities are only headers that limit the version, rather than breaking changes made with upgraded versions... :)

Nov 9, 2023 at 1:56 AM Post #14,502 of 14,614
Well, hopefully in your case, the incompatibilities are only headers that limit the version, rather than breaking changes made with upgraded versions... :)
Okay so I was able to repeat the test using the last Android 9 firmware and I got the exact same results: AMP11 and 13 are rated accurately, AMP12 maxes out at 3.017Vrms per channel through PO, and AMP14 maxes out at 1.307Vrms per channel through LO, and 0.470Vrms per channel through PO

Nov 9, 2023 at 9:54 PM Post #14,503 of 14,614
Okay so I was able to repeat the test using the last Android 9 firmware and I got the exact same results: AMP11 and 13 are rated accurately, AMP12 maxes out at 3.017Vrms per channel through PO, and AMP14 maxes out at 1.307Vrms per channel through LO, and 0.470Vrms per channel through PO
Very interesting! I wonder how much of a variance there is from card to card?! While I have not done exact testing, Amp12 will drive my 600ohm @87dB/mW head gear to not only more volume than I need, but also (seemingly) properly exciting the drivers. Though, the more volume you add the quicker it increases the power needed (@110dBSPL it would need 10VRMS to drive them to full potential).

Nov 19, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #14,505 of 14,614
Hi... I'm on FW 1.06... Any real reason to upgrade?
The last update with Android 9 was 1.07. Needed for amp13 support and better battery performance.
Latest updates with Android 11 just killed normal battery usage to which I used to, constricting me to roll back to the previous update

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back