iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Nov 4, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #14,476 of 14,609
Planning to get Ibasoo 300 in stock config second hand. The idea is to run it with ZMF Atrium Closed and Meze Advar on the move and sometimes Caldera and Verite Open on a coach / bed. Is the dap still viable 2023 or are there better options for that use and at this pricepoint (sub 800 eur)? Shell I invest in amp 12 too?

Thanks in advance.
It works great with my Atrium Closed, I can even run it in low gain on some songs. It's my work combo lol! I definitely recommend getting the AMP 12 for the Caldera though. The Verité will be fine with the stock Amp 11. Also, see if you can find an @Whitigir modded AMP12 like the AMP12W or AMP12EX. They're both leagues above the already great AMP12 imo

Nov 5, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #14,477 of 14,609
Planning to get Ibasoo 300 in stock config second hand. The idea is to run it with ZMF Atrium Closed and Meze Advar on the move and sometimes Caldera and Verite Open on a coach / bed. Is the dap still viable 2023 or are there better options for that use and at this pricepoint (sub 800 eur)? Shell I invest in amp 12 too?

Thanks in advance.
The DX300 is definitely viable in 2023. After all, it is only just about 1 month (or so) over 3 years old now, and the tech used in it was ahead of its time. Other companies are starting to catch up (a few have surpassed it but cost a "crap-ton" more). Bottom line is that money to features ratio is off the charts IMO.

Having said that, I am still a user of the DX300, so I probably am a bit biased towards it and against others out there, so take it with a grain of salt. BUT..... if you look at all the specs of this (on the sound-side, not android, or battery life, etc...) you will find that it still has some of the best numbers in the industry for a portable device (it is more akin to a desktop solution in reality), and I am not sure that will change anytime soon.

Nov 5, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #14,478 of 14,609
Thanks for the advices guys got the DX300 today, was quite a baller around 500 eur.

Nov 5, 2023 at 2:03 PM Post #14,479 of 14,609
Thanks for the advices guys got the DX300 today, was quite a baller around 500 eur.
That is indeed a very good deal for the DX300. Did you say it came with the stock amp card? Which one is that the Amp11 MK1 or Amp11 MK2? It is getting increasingly harder to get the MK1 card nowadays. It was in production for only a short time before being replaced/upgraded to the MK2.

If you want a completely different sound (or several), I do indeed recommend getting the Amp12 card. Not only that, but it has a full 1W+ more driving power. If you want a fantastic tube out (though it is only SE connection) I recommend Amp13 as well. It has much less driving power than even the stock amp card, but if matched with the proper head gear, is absolutely brilliant IMHO.

I may or may not be missing out on something great, but the Amp14 card sits somewhere in the middle of Amp13 and the stock amp card, and I haven't really felt the need for it to this point. :)

Congrats on your new shiny! :)

Nov 5, 2023 at 4:20 PM Post #14,480 of 14,609
That is indeed a very good deal for the DX300. Did you say it came with the stock amp card? Which one is that the Amp11 MK1 or Amp11 MK2? It is getting increasingly harder to get the MK1 card nowadays. It was in production for only a short time before being replaced/upgraded to the MK2.

If you want a completely different sound (or several), I do indeed recommend getting the Amp12 card. Not only that, but it has a full 1W+ more driving power. If you want a fantastic tube out (though it is only SE connection) I recommend Amp13 as well. It has much less driving power than even the stock amp card, but if matched with the proper head gear, is absolutely brilliant IMHO.

I may or may not be missing out on something great, but the Amp14 card sits somewhere in the middle of Amp13 and the stock amp card, and I haven't really felt the need for it to this point. :)

Congrats on your new shiny! :)
Should be mk1, since its the model with the badly fitting leather case. Yeah eying amp12 already, but curious to see how amp11 will perform with my ZMF stuff first.

Nov 5, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #14,481 of 14,609
Should be mk1, since its the model with the badly fitting leather case. Yeah eying amp12 already, but curious to see how amp11 will perform with my ZMF stuff first.
Well, to be honest, the DX that comes with the Amp11MK2 also had a badly fitting case. I don't think they ever changed that... You had to buy the Amp12 to get the much better fitting black case. And, of course the Amp13 card came with the clear case, which I tend to use most often. :)

You will have to let us know how things sound, and how they might change with the different amp cards.

You can tell if you have the MK1 or MK2 by looking at the amp card itself (it might even show it on the box). Otherwise, you can also tell from the sound you would be getting. The MK1 had a very relaxed treble, where the MK2 had a more neutral/analytical sound, comparatively speaking. Amp12 tightens everything up, and has an overall clarity that is out of this world IMHO. Again, this is comparing to the stock amp of course.

Amp13, on the other hand, has a much more analog sound to it. It remains clear, but more of a relaxed treble, and bigger bass overall.

Nov 5, 2023 at 5:07 PM Post #14,482 of 14,609
Will do! First need to receive it haha

Thinking of getting Amp 12 first, but for now Amp 11 should be more than enough, not aiming for analytical sound anyway just want to drive ZMF dynamics somewhat smoothly, not expecting much tbh, the difference must be quite big coming from my Holo desktop rig.

Nov 6, 2023 at 6:06 AM Post #14,485 of 14,609
Yes, as well as all korg nutube amps: amp9 (ibasso dx200/220) and amp13
Yeah but I've at least been able to get the stated power numbers or something close to it on the AMP13. The best I can get out of amp14 is 1.3V and that's out of line out

Nov 6, 2023 at 6:22 AM Post #14,486 of 14,609
Yeah but I've at least been able to get the stated power numbers or something close to it on the AMP13. The best I can get out of amp14 is 1.3V and that's out of line out
What? AMP14 is more powerful than AMP13 :

AMP13
1699269631103.png

AMP14
1699269578899.png

Nov 6, 2023 at 6:33 AM Post #14,487 of 14,609
What? AMP14 is more powerful than AMP13 :

AMP13
1699269631103.png

AMP14
1699269578899.png
On paper, yes, but to my ears (and multimeter) no. At least on the DX 300, AMP14 does not reach the stated voltage numbers, maxing out at around 1.3V per channel using line out, and a little more than half a volt per channel using PO on high gain. I'm not the only one to point this out either, other posters have noticed the AMP14 to be much louder on the DX 320 than on the DX300.

Nov 6, 2023 at 6:41 AM Post #14,488 of 14,609
On paper, yes, but to my ears (and multimeter) no. At least on the DX 300, AMP14 does not reach the stated voltage numbers, maxing out at around 1.3V per channel using line out, and a little more than half a volt per channel using PO on high gain. I'm not the only one to point this out either, other posters have noticed the AMP14 to be much louder on the DX 320 than on the DX300.
That means it wasn't enough optimized for dx300. That's pity. Do you use android 9 or android 11?

Nov 6, 2023 at 6:42 AM Post #14,489 of 14,609
Silly question here, but have you made sure that you don't have "volume limit" enabled? Also, what is your method of measuring these? Do you have something that is drawing power that would skew your reading?

It looks like you are getting more out of LO than advertised; I think that iBasso numbers are total not per channel (though I could be wrong about that). But, you are sorely lacking out of PO though.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2023 at 6:50 AM Post #14,490 of 14,609
That means it wasn't enough optimized for dx300. That's pity. Do you use android 9 or android 11?
I'm on Android 11, latest FW. Yeah, it's really a shame, it just kinda sits here collecting dust. I like AMP12 enough that I don't feel like I got ripped off, and I have my bottlehead crack if I want some tube warmth, but I definitely think Ibasso should at least make an announcement about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back