iBasso DX220Max ****************** New FW! 1.01 for download! 1st Page.
Jul 23, 2019 at 12:40 AM Post #31 of 3,626
I know that next to dmp-z1 everything seems to be affordable but 2000$ is a bit steep. Even Kann Cube from least affordable dap brand costs 1500$.
I don't think there is anything spectacular with Kann Cube except all that power and 2 x 9038 DACs, it's not the best value DAP at $1500. FiiO M11 is the best value DAP out there right now but it has its limitations in SQ. No one can say that about SP1000 or N8 or LPGT best value DAPs at their prices.
DX220 Max may be the best value DAP at $2000. It's really nice to see iBasso stepping up their game like this.

Jul 23, 2019 at 7:04 AM Post #33 of 3,626
I'm not saying that value isn't there because we don't know this at this point really. All I'm saying is that 2000$ is not affordable because you can buy not one but two dx220's for the price.
From the point of my own, who have modified the DX220 and witness it transformations in unleashing it chains. If the DX220Max is what I suspecting it to be, then $2,000 is cheap.

You can ask about anyone who has performed the EX modifications on the DX220 or listened to it and the Amp8 like @icefalkon @edwardsean @panasonicst60 @EggofSound etc...

The price of modifying the DX220 even with DIY and your own labor is already putting it into $1100, then an Amp8 and component to upgrade is around $400. You are looking at $1400-1500 give or take for an EX modified DX220 + Amp8 EX by your own work.

The ideas is that Ibasso engineering is ridiculously geniuses, and with extremely high quality components, it transforms. These extremely high quality component isn’t cheap, it is about $8 a pop for a capacitor.

I don’t expect anyone to see the values of Ibasso as I do, beside those who have witnessed the EX modifications, and the people mentioned above who have worked on modifying their own. But my works is published and shared with every one, so you can easily look up what needed to be done for it.

Hell, what I want now is to have a bigger form factor than the DX220, to apply components that is so thick and large into the DX220 and Amp8, the upgraded power supplies and better cooling capability with the amp architect that is similar to Amp 8, a discrete Solid State with the most high quality and music dedicated into it, and in no way I would be able to do it with another $500. This is why I am so glad that Ibasso is releasing DX220Max

Ibasso is the only company that has a Discrete amp module in such a little portable DAP I have seen by far.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2019 at 7:25 AM Post #34 of 3,626
The price of modifying the DX220 even with DIY and your own labor is already putting it into $1100, then an Amp8 and component to upgrade is around $400. You are looking at $1400-1500 give or take for an EX modified DX220 + Amp8 EX by your own work.

You're forgetting one critical additional cost: Your one man R&D at Whitigir Labs. All the best components would be useless without the designs.

For iBasso's 220Max, you have to factor in the countless hours of intensive work that went into the research and engineering to produce these brilliant designs. The immense value of these IPs are also worth the cost.

For all the EX-mods, Vince has given away everything he has tirelessly developed. Honestly, I don't know when he sleeps. He's awake right now–Awake and thinking and talking about iBasso and EX mods. That also is of great value that we all have access to for free!

And for everything he does out of passion and joy on this thread, If you ever meet him at a Headfi Meet or Canjam--at least buy him a drink!

(Just saying but Kann Cube doesn't come with a Vince or a Paul. And guys like that don't grow on trees. I think they get built out of tubes, FETs, and caps.)

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2019 at 7:41 AM Post #35 of 3,626
High performance, affordable, reliable. You can only pick one. But for the long term of any company and the safety of any consumers, Reliability is and have to always be there. So you can only pick between high performance or Affordable.

Judging by the naming, MAX, It is not fair to even have an idea of putting or watering down the DX220Max into....Affordable range. That would be DX220, correct ?

Jul 23, 2019 at 7:52 AM Post #36 of 3,626
Hey Ibasso said they are using highest quality components possible so how could you even wana remode the dx220max if its already at its peak! By ibasso?

Or your suggesting that their components arent that maximally good?

I think dx220max gota be at desktop level seriously, maybe that 10% or 5 % behind desktop isnt something you gona notice anyways!

Dx220 os awsume but dx220max holly cow its amazing.

Dmp was a great idea but its ridiculously priced and just for that I disagree.

And dx220max is well priced there is no questions asked. What I may ask if Ibasso set the dx220max at around 3 000 could they make it sound even better???

Jul 23, 2019 at 8:13 AM Post #37 of 3,626
I think you are confused @Vitaly2017 .

There is DX220

Then the upcoming DX220Max. No one knows what it is going to be beside what Paul just disclosed

I know I am hoping for DX220Max to not be affordable as I want it to be Maximized by Ibasso, with pricing being a Non objective.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2019 at 8:23 AM Post #38 of 3,626
Black fin is ok, but I prefer ESS or AKM DSP chip instead :D

Why? A Dsp has no "sound". Only the algorithms running on the chip impact the sound. A lot of DSPs are running on the same basic cores as well (e.g. Tensilica). Differences between DSPs are in IO, processing power, consumption etc... Not audio performance.

Jul 23, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #39 of 3,626
I'm not saying that value isn't there because we don't know this at this point really. All I'm saying is that 2000$ is not affordable because you can buy not one but two dx220's for the price.
Cant buy two dx220 cause as you know when one ends up buying a dx200 then they will end up buying atleast two amps.

Jul 23, 2019 at 8:32 AM Post #40 of 3,626
Why? A Dsp has no "sound". Only the algorithms running on the chip impact the sound. A lot of DSPs are running on the same basic cores as well (e.g. Tensilica). Differences between DSPs are in IO, processing power, consumption etc... Not audio performance.

But they do have “noises” :wink:. That was the main purposes of why AKM , ESS are making their own. Sony had been using their own for years!

Jul 23, 2019 at 8:34 AM Post #41 of 3,626
Cant buy two dx220 cause as you know when one ends up buying a dx200 then they will end up buying atleast two amps.

Not necessarily. I've reviewed DX150 and DX220 and I've got experience with AMP1mk2, AMP6, AMP8 and AMP9. For me AMP1mk2 is the best allrounder with the most mature sound. AMP9 is great but technicalities receive quite a big downgrade so you've have to ready for it this. However tube magic, warmth and harmonics are definately there.

Jul 23, 2019 at 8:37 AM Post #42 of 3,626
But they do have “noises” :wink:. That was the main purposes of why AKM , ESS are making their own. Sony had been using their own for years!

If you make blanket statements behind companies strategies, probably best to state sources.

From my experience in working with DSPs, the large corp DSPs (TI, analog, Cirrus Logic) are typically for much broader applications that require a lot more processing power than simple upsampling/conversions/filtering needed in dacs/daps etc. Hence dedicated parts for those basic applications.

Jul 23, 2019 at 8:37 AM Post #43 of 3,626
Not necessarily. I've reviewed DX150 and DX220 and I've got experience with AMP1mk2, AMP6, AMP8 and AMP9. For me AMP1mk2 is the best allrounder with the most mature sound. AMP9 is great but technicalities receive quite a big downgrade so you've have to ready for it this. However tube magic, warmth and harmonics are definately there.
So you suggest just buy a dx220 and not to buy any amps ?

Jul 23, 2019 at 8:46 AM Post #45 of 3,626
It depends what you're after. They differ with tonality, power, noise floor etc.
But for you , you would just stay with stock dx220 , so as you said one can buy two dx220s than a max.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back