iBasso DX100 Reference DAP - ES9018 inside
Jan 19, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #1,787 of 2,799
I'm just curious to see how large this thing is. Everyone says it won't fit into a pocket. Is it that big of a trouser snake?
evil_smiley.gif

The people that are talking about this are the Sansa, nano, clip crowd. Al they want is to put a device like a match box in their pocket and go about their day, or go to the gym or go walking. I have no problem with people wanting to use their mp3 that way. If you want size, just go and get a nano6 and be done with. Please don't confuse size with reference audio. Please show me how you can get the level of sound that is matching the audio level as that of the "iPod-clas-DB2-PB2 or SR71b", or HM801,or DX100 down to the size of a pack a cigaret and have it run for 50 hours? It is just absurd. In fact, the DX100 is only the size of two of my Samsung Infuse stack together which is very portable by my standard. Mischa is right, when you are walking, running, or in the gym, you cannot be too seriously about audio anyway, so just go and get a Sony, Cowan, clip and you have your 50 hours.

Jan 19, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #1,788 of 2,799
I'm sure that the DX100 is nothing short of a brilliant feat of engieneering, even though it doesn't match my specific needs that well. That does NOT make it a poor product. I'm sure it's gonna have an effect on the market - HM-801 buyers are gonna see that you CAN have great luggable audio AND a nice GUI and other manufacturers will see all the IEM toting batterylife-craving loonies (like myself) and create a DAP to cater to that market.

This is turning into too much of a slugfest, I'll unsubscribe, by another Cowon DAP and wait for the DX50 to materialise - no matter who ends up building it 
wink.gif

Jan 19, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #1,789 of 2,799

Quote:
Fair enough. Just curious though how the 801 measured so poorly. Never heard the device myself though. At that price point you'd think they would have it right stock?

You can find the measurements by googling 801 RMAA - its on another forum so linking seems bad form. 

Quote:
Nothing wrong with different sound signatures. Otherwise things can get boring.

Yes, that's what different headphones and speakers are for.

Amps and DACs are tools with specific tasks and can be judged completely objectively.

Jan 19, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #1,790 of 2,799
I don't particularily care about the measurements if a device produce a sound I like to listen to

Jan 19, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #1,791 of 2,799
Whilst I respect the opinions of the more knowledgeable members here on the likely superlative sound quality of the DX100, surely iBasso could of squeezed a few more hours into the battery longevity and given us 10 hours of playback time. 7 hours isn't even a transatlantic flight time now that Concorde has been retired.

wink_face.gif

Jan 19, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #1,792 of 2,799

Quote:
Whilst I respect the opinions of the more knowledgeable members here on the likely superlative sound quality of the DX100, surely iBasso could of squeezed a few more hours into the battery longevity and given us 10 hours of playback time. 7 hours isn't even a transatlantic flight time now that Concorde has been retired.

wink_face.gif

What is the Concorde?...its just a memory now......

Jan 19, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #1,793 of 2,799

Quote:

wink_face.gif

Get one of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Trent-Dual-port-IMP50D-Blackberry/dp/B004AM1OK4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1327004047&sr=8-3

2,5 times the capacity of the 2000mah battery in the DX100, so that should give you a total of 24,5 hours.

Jan 19, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #1,794 of 2,799

Quote:
I don't particularily care about the measurements if a device produce a sound I like to listen to

Only the headphones actually produce sound.

If you prefer the sound of a given pair of headphones when fed by an inaccurate amp, all that means is it isn't your perfect headphone, not that the amp is good.

Jan 19, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #1,795 of 2,799
Dag...  That price is way to high for me, I guess I'll wait it out till people get buyers remorse and these start to go for cheap.

Jan 19, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #1,796 of 2,799
[size=medium]When I get dx 100, I’ll be doing a YouTube review with help of my daughter (who is turning 3 in April). I’m hoping that a 2 year old doing a review might be a cute, funny, entertaining change of pace from usual reviews. I’m already working on teaching her all vocabulary she will need to use.  Would you guys be interested? Do you think it’s a good idea? I get to teach her new things and have fun with her while doing a review.[/size]

[size=medium]I’ll be testing dxx 100 with:[/size]
  • [size=medium]JH16 pro with Crystal Piccolino cable + Twag OM v2 Eclipse cable.[/size]
  • [size=medium]Audez'e LCD-2 with Reference 8 - Silver cable by ALO audio.[/size]
  • [size=medium]Sennheiser HD800.[/size]
  • [size=medium]Shure 535.[/size]
  • [size=medium]UE triple fi 10.[/size]
  • [size=medium]Klipsch x10i.[/size]
  • [size=medium]Beats DETOX.[/size]

[size=medium]I’ll also test it with these amps:[/size]
  • [size=medium]Pico slim.[/size]
  • [size=medium]Rx MK2.[/size]
  • [size=medium]SR-71b.[/size]

[size=medium]I’ll also compare it to:[/size]
  • [size=medium]IPhone 4 + CLAS; [/size]
  • [size=medium]Zune HD. [/size]
  • [size=medium]COWON j3.[/size]

[size=medium]I’ll be covering in my review:  size, durability, overall build quality and accessories, UI and format support, battery life, and sound quality, [/size]

[size=medium]p.s. if I forgot anything, or you would like me to add anything else, please let me know.  Also, Would anyone be interested in an unpacking video?[/size]

Jan 19, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #1,797 of 2,799
Jan 19, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #1,798 of 2,799
Jan 19, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #1,799 of 2,799
Mischa, I'm looking forward to your review.

Jan 19, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #1,800 of 2,799
Mischa:

Of course, you missed one of the most contested issue - a run down test to show the actual real life battery life. Preferably several run down time tests. One without the screen on, another with wifi on, another with 24/96 being played etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back