iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Feb 19, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #1,111 of 13,503
I do not think there is room to have a SD card on the DX100. 

For larger sized cards, yes the initial scan of the card will take longer but once that is done, as with a loaded 32gb card, the start up time is fairly short. It is the first scan of the card with new songs that takes a while. 

Feb 19, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #1,112 of 13,503

Quote:
I do not think there is room to have a SD card on the DX100. 

For larger sized cards, yes the initial scan of the card will take longer but once that is done, as with a loaded 32gb card, the start up time is fairly short. It is the first scan of the card with new songs that takes a while. 

But each time you update the files on a card you get a new read right so each time a new album is placed on the card it takes a new long read?  Is this correct?

Feb 19, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #1,113 of 13,503

Quote:
But each time you update the files on a card you get a new read right so each time a new album is placed on the card it takes a new long read?  Is this correct?

Yes, pretty much. A new car with a bunch of songs takes longer but when you place a new song on the card it does take longer to read the card the first time but after than it will but up pretty quick. I would think a software update could address the addition of a new album or how many there are to do the scan much faster. I find that Power Amp can read the new files pretty fast but the native software, the first time, takes longer so I imagine this can all be worked out. I do find that since the software update that I am using the iBasso software all the time now. 

Feb 19, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #1,114 of 13,503

Quote:
Probably, the one I read is in chinese too. But he said DX100 is really good but still doesn't match the quality of DAP+portable amp.

Man,maybe he doesn't say that the sound quality of DAP+portable amp is better.

What I realize is that he said the DX100 is really neutral with his EM,while iMod+Lisa3 gives him a more colorful sound,which meets his favor.

Oh,maybe the DAP+portable amp combo that you mean is C4+PB2+DB2 combo with IE8 plus the V2 cable,which is really stunning to the editor.

But he didn't compare the balanced combo to DX100 with the same earphone directly instead,

Feb 19, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #1,115 of 13,503
I saw that some of you guys have read a few Chinese reviews regarding the DX100, would anyone mind to share the links here? 

In my opinion, in the future when some reviews are mentioned/quoted, the links should be provided because some people can read it and get an even clearer idea about the DX100.

Feb 19, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #1,116 of 13,503

I love this review and his summary and just can't wait to pair it up with my Triad L3 with Firestone Audio Supplier PS...........going by his summary this is going to be a pairing made in Heaven
bigsmile_face.gif
Quote:
I am not sure if we are referring to the same review but I read one (in Chinese) which the person compared the DX100 against C4 (not modded), HM801 (with balanced module) and Sony PCM-D50. The part which he commented that the DX100 didn't sound dynamic enough was when pairing with IE8 and assuming listening when out on the streets. He did a comparison using the following four tracks (WAV, 16/44.1) with JH13 on mid-gain and place them on scale of 5 with 1 lowest and 5 highest. As the comparison is still based on personal preferences, so take it with pinch of salt.

1. Fanfare for the Common Man
HM801 - 3 | C4 - 5 | D50 - 4 | DX100 - 4 (C4 wins by presentation and extension)

2. No Women No Cry
HM801 - 4 | C4 - 3 | D50 - 4 | DX100 - 5 (DX100 wins by perfect, natural reproduction of the singing, sound stage together with refined and smooth mid-range)

3. Trepak - Sonso Handbell Ensemble
HM801 - 3 | C4 - 3 | D50 - 5 | DX100 - 5 (DX100 wins, together with D50, on transparency, especially on producing the clear, light sound of the handbell)

4. N'Kosi Sikelel'l Afrika
HM801 - 3 | C4 - 4 | D50 - 4 | DX100 - 5 (DX100 wins by excellent mid-range density (not sure if using the right word) and layering)

His verdict is that DX100 has a very neutral sound signature but does not mean unfeeling or cold. It is smooth, natural and does not color the sound. Weakness is that, for him, mid-range doesn't sound dense enough when listening to male vocal. Bass and mid-bass can use a little more weight and impact.

Feb 19, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #1,117 of 13,503
I love this review and his summary and just can't wait to pair it up with my Triad L3 with Firestone Audio Supplier PS...........going by his summary this is going to be a pairing made in Heaven:bigsmile_face: .

I am not sure if we are referring to the same review but I read one (in Chinese) which the person compared the DX100 against C4 (not modded), HM801 (with balanced module) and Sony PCM-D50. The part which he commented that the DX100 didn't sound dynamic enough was when pairing with IE8 and assuming listening when out on the streets. He did a comparison using the following four tracks (WAV, 16/44.1) with JH13 on mid-gain and place them on scale of 5 with 1 lowest and 5 highest. As the comparison is still based on personal preferences, so take it with pinch of salt.

HM801 - 3 | C4 - 5 | D50 - 4 | DX100 - 4 (C4 wins by presentation and extension)

2. No Women No Cry
HM801 - 4 | C4 - 3 | D50 - 4 | DX100 - 5 (DX100 wins by perfect, natural reproduction of the singing, sound stage together with refined and smooth mid-range)

HM801 - 3 | C4 - 3 | D50 - 5 | DX100 - 5 (DX100 wins, together with D50, on transparency, especially on producing the clear, light sound of the handbell)

HM801 - 3 | C4 - 4 | D50 - 4 | DX100 - 5 (DX100 wins by excellent mid-range density (not sure if using the right word) and layering)

His verdict is that DX100 has a very neutral sound signature but does not mean unfeeling or cold. It is smooth, natural and does not color the sound. Weakness is that, for him, mid-range doesn't sound dense enough when listening to male vocal. Bass and mid-bass can use a little more weight and impact.

Perhaps the reviewer should consider making use of the DX100 8-band EQ to bring out the male vocals to his satisfaction???

Feb 19, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #1,118 of 13,503
Has anyone made any comparisons on how the DX100 performs as a quasi-DAC? That is, instead of plugging in your stand-alone DAC to your home amp, you plug in the lineout from DX100 and compare the two? 

I'm curious if this will outperform my Yulong D100 in the DAC section.

Feb 19, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #1,119 of 13,503

Quote:
Perhaps the reviewer should consider making use of the DX100 8-band EQ to bring out the male vocals to his satisfaction???

Good point...

Feb 19, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #1,120 of 13,503

Randius said:

2. No Women No Cry

From HiFlight:  Perhaps the reviewer should consider making use of the DX100 8-band EQ to bring out the male vocals to his satisfaction???

Great review style by Randius.....Thank you, sir!!

And HiFlight's comment is perfect!!  Simplicity is so very eloquent.....

Feb 19, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #1,122 of 13,503
Here

http://www.erji.net/read.php?tid=1180735&keyword=dx10

Quote:
Hmm... may be a different one. Can you post the link? The one I read is here

In this review, he was thinking that DX100 has enough power to drive most earbuds and IEMs but he is not expecting it to drive some full-sized headphones. He assumes that bundling the DX100 with an amp may yield surprises but he didn't try out because of the short period of time with the DX100.

Feb 19, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #1,123 of 13,503
Has anyone made any comparisons on how the DX100 performs as a quasi-DAC? That is, instead of plugging in your stand-alone DAC to your home amp, you plug in the lineout from DX100 and compare the two? 

I'm curious if this will outperform my Yulong D100 in the DAC section.

I have done such a comparison using the same recordings played through both. The DX100 sounded better than my desktop DAC. My desktop DAC is a transformer-coupled Aeolus Audio magiDAC.

Feb 19, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #1,124 of 13,503
Here

http://www.erji.net/read.php?tid=1180735&keyword=dx10

Yea, I saw that review when it first came out a month ago. The author was comparing his marantz digital recorder with RCA out to the D6 and the DX100 and was saying that (according to his beliefs), because of the RCA line out it sounds better than the DX100. I disagree with that assessment. For some reasons, digital recorders like the Marantz and the Sony D-50 are highly esteemed in China. I have the D-50 and I don't think it sound as good as they made them out to be.

Feb 19, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #1,125 of 13,503
Pre-ordered. Curse you all. 
tongue.gif

Quote:
I'm hoping my upcoming DX100 will replace my CLAS/SR-71B as some others here wish too.

In May in Tokyo lets all get together and battle off our portable rigs, if we can.

Regarding Micro-SD cards, they were likely designed for mobile phones, which, pre-iPhone, were getting smaller (or larger and thinner in Japan), but the camera resolutions were increasing. I haven't checked the specs, but it is very likely the format was only designed to address up to 32GB and there are not enough bits in the address space for larger sizes. So, like SD cards, they have to design a new format, which requires new hardware and software.

Ideally for me, I'd like an iPod classic with a 320GB solid state drive which supports up to 192/24 files so I can dump my entire music library on there without having to care about making sure I don't forget to sync new music or playlists. I might see if that WinAMP for Mac, which advertises that it works with Android, is any use with the DX100 for organising. Re-creating all my playlists would be a huge pain, though I can export them as M3U files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back