iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Feb 7, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #634 of 13,503
Concerning the playing songs in random order bug...I know they should be fixing this so it probably won't be an issue anymore, but out of curiosity I've been wondering. If I understand correctly, it fails to read the track numbers from the tags, but could the "random" order possibly have anything to do with the actual file names? Or is it truly random every time?

Feb 7, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #635 of 13,503

Quote:
Concerning the playing songs in random order bug...I know they should be fixing this so it probably won't be an issue anymore, but out of curiosity I've been wondering. If I understand correctly, it fails to read the track numbers from the tags, but could the "random" order possibly have anything to do with the actual file names? Or is it truly random every time?

It seems it would jump to completely different albums. So it could be reading from tags but the songs are all listed in one directory when this occurs. Basically playing from a list with all the songs listed instead of the selected playlist.

Feb 7, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #636 of 13,503
When you choose an album, hold down on it for a moment and a menu comes up. Hit play on that menu and the entire album will play in the correct order. 

Feb 7, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #637 of 13,503

Quote:
When you choose an album, hold down on it for a moment and a menu comes up. Hit play on that menu and the entire album will play in the correct order. 

Mine was buggy still and wouldn't always do this even though I tried this. This could also be another defect in my unit but sometimes it did work. Not all the time though...

Feb 7, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #638 of 13,503
It seems it would jump to completely different albums. So it could be reading from tags but the songs are all listed in one directory when this occurs. Basically playing from a list with all the songs listed instead of the selected playlist.

When one opens, for instance, a Playlist or Album menu, then taps a particular song to play, it will then depart from the selected menu item, but if one presses and holds the item until the context menu appears instead of tapping a song, this behavior will not happen. I don't think it is really a bug, but rather a lack of clarity on how the UI menu system was designed to function.

iBasso really should include a brief manual describing the proper use of the UI in the next production round. Perhaps they felt that the original 40 users should try to figure it out by trial and error, then use the resulting feedback to determine what they should do in the update to make the menus more intuitive.

Feb 7, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #639 of 13,503

Quote:
When one opens, for instance, a Playlist or Album menu, then taps a particular song to play, it will then depart from the selected menu item, but if one presses and holds the item until the context menu appears instead of tapping a song, this behavior will not happen. I don't think it is really a bug, but rather a lack of clarity on how the UI menu system was designed to function.

iBasso really should include a brief manual describing the proper use of the UI in the next production round. Perhaps they felt that the original 40 users should try to figure it out by trial and error, then use the resulting feedback to determine what they should do in the update to make the menus more intuitive.

Great suggestion....inclusion of a manual would be fabulous!!  It gives IBasso some real credibility....takes the product into the big leagues like a Sony, Panasonic, etc. And it really makes things so much easier for the rest of us.

If it sounds that good...it deserves to have all the trimmings!!!

Feb 7, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #640 of 13,503
probably been answered already, but i don't feel like searching

- is the battery user replacable?
- battery life with lossless? i've seen both 7 and 10 being thrown out. which is it?
- how much longer until its released?

Feb 7, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #641 of 13,503
confused_face_2.gif

Quote:
but i don't feel like searching

Feb 8, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #643 of 13,503

Will just post my impression here rather than opening a new thread.

[Introduction]

After weeks of speculating on the specification and price, the much-awaited iBasso DX100 DAP was finally made available on the 19th of January. Despite the high pricing of 699 USD (and that's after discount), the very first batch of 40 units were sold out in less than 20 minutes after announcement! I have great confidence in iBasso products as I had used a couple of their amplifiers. I was lucky enough to secure a unit and received it on 2nd day of Chinese NY (less than a week)! Thanks iBasso and DHL!

The DX100 attracted much attention because it uses a high-end ES9018 Sabre DAC chip. It also supports bit-for-bit up to 24bit/192KHz high-resolution music files in most popular lossless format, yes, that includes the infamous ALAC! Freedom for Apple users!. Last but not least, it also has digital output via coaxial and optical and comes with 64GB storage space, making it a powerful transport. This is a bold move by iBasso as careful implementation is crucial to extract the best performance from the DAC chip and other components.

Disclaimer: I had only previously used setup such as iPhone/iPod with iBasso amps and I will sell away one setup before getting the next. Thus, my comment on sound quality is purely base on memory, so take it with pinch of salt.

<<To attach more images later>>

[Personal Experience]

In terms of packaging, I expected the item to come in a pretty big box but when I received the bundle, it was bigger than I thought. The box is well padded and looks good, although definitely not up to Ortofon eQ-7 packaging standard. First layer housed the DAP only and upon lifting the first layer, you will see the other items - power adaptor, USB and coaxial cable. There was no user manual provided and iBasso should come up with a manual to help with familiarizing with the custom player in the DX100.

Built-wise, it is simply fantastic, as evident from the recent range of products such as D12, P4, D7 etc. In my opinion, it looks far better than the brick-like Hifiman HM801 and a lot less flamboyant than the Colorfly C4. The top and bottom halves are made of aluminium alloy and securely put together. I don't think anyone will be able to tell the difference between this and other Made-In-Japan/Germany products. However, I think iBasso should provide a plug/cover for the 6.3mm port.

Listening to it out of the box with my 1964 Ears quad driver customs and stock cable (still waiting for my Twag to come back from RMA), I can only say that the headphone out is already good enough to trump my previous setups such as iPhone 4 + D12 via LOD and better H120 + D10 via optical. I do not hear any noise/hiss when the DX100 is switched on and not playing music. It is more musical sounding and has bigger and convincing sound stage than both setups and DX100 is almost as clean-sounding as the H120 + D10 via optical. Listening to the same classical tracks on DX100 is more enjoyable due to the added depth in sound stage. It is also capable of driving HD600 and LCD 3 to satisfying level. I do not own the Hifiman HM-801 or the Colorfly C4 so I will not be able to make any comparison. The downfall of such a powerful performance is the short battery life (around 6-8 hours) and bulk (about 3x thickness of iPhone 4).

The media player (written specifically for iBasso) is still a little quirky but has most basic functions such as EQ, filters and SRC. The bugs are just minor annoyances and does not affect me enjoying the music. iBasso is currently working hard to resolve the issues reported by the early adopters.

[Conclustion]

So far, I am very satisfied with the sound quality of the DX100 as it is musical, great transparency, has a convincing and enveloping atmosphere, great sound stage (actually adding depth to my 1964 Ears customs) and 3D presence. To me, it is a great all-in-one alternative to carrying DAP + LOD + Amp which may cost significantly more (of course, depends on setup) and much bulkier. Assembling the H120 + D10 + optical setup cost me about 600+ SGD and the DX100 (at discounted price) is about 900 SGD. Is DX100 worth the $300 more? Absolutely, so much so that I had not bothered to look at other equipment since getting the DX100. 

Feb 8, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #644 of 13,503

Quote:
probably been answered already, but i don't feel like searching

- is the battery user replacable?
- battery life with lossless? i've seen both 7 and 10 being thrown out. which is it?
- how much longer until its released?

Definitely been answered already, but I don't feel like replying 
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back