iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Feb 7, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #616 of 13,503

Quote:
not ranting, on my part, just pointing out that it is a rather major omission, not having Play/Pause, FFW, REW buttons. This DAP costs 800 bucks - for that, I get great sound quality (fair enough), but must I really suffer the indignity of having to take the damn thing out of my pocket and switch on the screen every time I simply wish to skip part or all of a track? That's a major mugging risk, having to take an $800 piece of audiophilia out of my pocket each and every time I wish to control playback in some way, no matter how minor.

Please bear in mind that I do recognise the merits of this DAP - and I do still want to obtain one, but sheesh - why go to so much trouble to design a state-of-the-art 'statement piece', only to undermine it all with poor ergonomics that omit the most primary, critical and basic of hard functions? Sometimes I despair of product designers.

Will it stop me from buying a DX100? Probably not.
Will it annoy the hell out of me when I should be reveling in unadulterated sonic bliss as I walk around town? Well, probably, yes.

Most will think it is a amp for public speaking. 

The other day a guy asked me if I had been giving a speech. What? Well I see that you have a public address amp on your belt. Oh. . lol And I thought maybe I was looking very dignified and warranted giving a speech! 

Yes, buttons would be nice. But we ain't got them. :^) Oh what sound! 

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #617 of 13,503

Quote:
IMHO, an $800 audiophile-quality player is not something that I want to carry around in my pocket. For that purpose, I have a drawer full of players that could suffer pocket damage or even theft without regrets. My DX100 mostly lives on my desktop or bedside table and now functions as my main player

Oh, PURLEEEZ!!  
rolleyes.gif

I mean no disrespect to you, personally (quite the opposite, actually), but in terms of the above remark, alone...

The whole point of the DX100 is that it makes audiophile quality music possible in a portable format (as do the Colorfly and 801, personal preferences notwithstanding). The DX100 is not conceived as a desktop device. Desktop devices are conceived as desktop devices. With respect, your remark reminds me of people who buy high-class woodworking tools in order to admire them in a display cabinet, rather than being on a tradesman's woodworking bench - the place where they were designed and made to be used. Or people who buy concours vintage cars, only to keep them in a garage and sit in them from time to time, listening to the engine tick over, rather than taking them out on the open road, where their designers intended them to be used.

Each to their own.

When I buy a DX100, it will see regular portable use. Probably 60% portable, 40% at work/home.

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #618 of 13,503

Quote:
Most will think it is a amp for public speaking. 

The other day a guy asked me if I had been giving a speech. What? Well I see that you have a public address amp on your belt. Oh. . lol And I thought maybe I was looking very dignified and warranted giving a speech! 

Yes, buttons would be nice. But we ain't got them. :^) Oh what sound! 

LOL!

BTW, thankyou for being one of the few folks who has made an effort to provide those of us waiting for the next batch, with some personal impressions of the DX100 in use. Much appreciated.

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #619 of 13,503

Quote:
Changing the topic, am I alone in noticing how few of the 40 buyers have followed through with their implicit promise to post reviews?

I hope this situation will change soon, as there are plenty of potential customers for the next batch (myself included), who could benefit from such reviews (I'm wishing average_joe had got one, as I find his reviews extremely detailed and helpful).

I have not given a full blown review but have posted impressions as I go. I have noticed though that there aren't many of the 40 posting, which is odd. Where are they? 

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #620 of 13,503
Changing the topic, am I alone in noticing how few of the 40 buyers have followed through with their implicit promise to post reviews?

I hope this situation will change soon, as there are plenty of potential customers for the next batch (myself included), who could benefit from such reviews (I'm wishing average_joe had got one, as I find his reviews extremely detailed and helpful).

It seems to me that there have been many comments on the performance, features, lack of features, bugs, sound quality etc. posted on the previous forty-some pages of this thread since the first DX100 was delivered. A long list of firmware issues was compiled and forwarded to iBasso, who is already addressing the items on the list. There have been many specific questions asked on this thread and many answers submitted.

Full reviews are only as useful as the biases and personal opinions of the reviewer.

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #621 of 13,503

Quote:
It seems to me that there have been many comments on the performance, features, lack of features, bugs, sound quality etc. posted on the previous forty-some pages of this thread since the first DX100 was delivered. A long list of firmware issues was compiled and forwarded to iBasso, who is already addressing the items on the list. There have been many specific questions asked on this thread and many answers submitted.
Full reviews are only as useful as the biases and personal opinions of the reviewer.

I don't think it would be fair to give a full review anyways with all the flaws of this device. That would have to be included to make it a fair review. Not to mention that these bugs really kill the the appeal to actually own these devices. Who wants to pay such a premium for a flawed product?

Once everything is spick and span and I've had enough time to sit with the device and burn it in I'll take my time to post a review. Not looking forward to it either lol but a promise is a promise. I've at least posted my impressions so far which ibasso asked the 40 reviews to "at least do". I'm also curious where those other owners are. Guessing they may not be a part of this forum or just got the discount and ran :)(

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #622 of 13,503

Quote:
I have not given a full blown review but have posted impressions as I go. I have noticed though that there aren't many of the 40 posting, which is odd. Where are they? 

I kinda like this approach as well. Although it may not be as organized you don't feel rushed or pestered and in this you can give a more truthful overview of the product.

Feb 7, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #623 of 13,503
Okay here's some info for 2nd batch (source from emailing ibasso) 

- 2nd batch pre-orders will be sometime this week
- price will be lower than retail
- more than 200 pieces of DX100 available for pre-order 

Feb 7, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #626 of 13,503
Not everyone who bought the DX100 lives on head-fi, nor is head-fi the center of the universe. Or is it? 
blink.gif

At this point, as the king of DAPs, it would've been nice to have those extra features like side buttons, and a usb receiver chip 
cool.gif
at that.
But one should wonder, if all the features in the world are to be placed inside the DX100, where does it stop? iBasso's made the decision, and we can only hope a DX101 or DX110 will include more user-friendly features. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 7, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #627 of 13,503
can someone shed some light on how usable the DX100 is in broad daylight? I know if my brightness on my android phone isnt up in sunlight its hard to see/use. How does the DX100 fair if your brightness is set to 25%? (and other brightness levels)

Feb 7, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #628 of 13,503
Hi
I've just tried to order the DX100 and pulled the plug when it came up as showing that delivery to the UK was over $12,000! (presumably by private jet). I've asked them to clarify.
Anyone else had this experience?
Also, assuming this issue can be resolved, can someone confirm that the included coax cable id coax mini to coax mini? (for use with JH-3A)
Thanks

Feb 7, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #629 of 13,503
The price is due to the stated weight of near 1 metric ton so shipping is a bit expensive

Users who are viewing this thread

Back