iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
May 22, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #6,061 of 13,503
Quote:

Did I read that right?  You find the T51 more neutral than the DX100?  I agree if that's the case but it's been mentioned I didn't have the DX100 run in long enough.  Might or might not be the case, I'll find out later on.

The T51 i s very digital, but in a good way, but it Misses the colorization compared to the DX100, and don't mean that its colored, its just a bit as to make it more enjoyable than the T51.

May 22, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #6,062 of 13,503
I was never able to get into the digital sound of the T51 though. Although it did sound good it wasn't very convincing to my ears. It sounded unnatural if anything. But comparing the T51 to the DX100 is a complete joke. They are on entirely different levels. I even consider the Studio V and Rocoo BA a significant upgrade over the T51.

May 22, 2012 at 2:35 AM Post #6,063 of 13,503
T51 (err Sflo2 for me) was far less digital sounding than the Clip+ or iPod, one reason I liked it.  Of course w/ my FW I think 2.3 at the time and only via LO, EQ set to flat.

May 22, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #6,064 of 13,503
Quote:
T51 (err Sflo2 for me) was far less digital sounding than the Clip+ or iPod, one reason I liked it.  Of course w/ my FW I think 2.3 at the time and only via LO, EQ set to flat.

I discovered that ape files are not affected by the change of EQ in T51! try it, and that is why I use only ape files with the T51.

May 22, 2012 at 2:48 AM Post #6,065 of 13,503
Quote:
I discovered that ape files are not affected by the change of EQ in T51! try it, and that is why I use only ape files with the T51.

Moved on years ago to better stuff.  My Sflo2 is long gone and I don't use APE.   Mostly WAV and occasionally FLAC depending on the player/situation.  I have enough storage on me to stick w/ WAV.  Some devices still don't play well w/ FLAC if at all.  I need to be able to A/B the files on me using any device I run into.

May 22, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #6,066 of 13,503
Quote:

Moved on years ago to better stuff.  My Sflo2 is long gone and I don't use APE.   Mostly WAV and occasionally FLAC depending on the player/situation.  I have enough storage on me to stick w/ WAV.  Some devices still don't play well w/ FLAC if at all.  I need to be able to A/B the files on me using any device I run into.

So what do you have? if I may ask.

May 22, 2012 at 3:07 AM Post #6,067 of 13,503
Quote:
So what do you have? if I may ask.

In my sig.  

Nokia N8 USB to UHA6S which I like better than T51 or DX100 (so far).  The DACPort LX is better than the Cirrus in the UHA6S but that was too complicated and pricey a setup.  I'm going to try out the ODAC but I have my doubts and can't use that portably anyway since it's not self powered, unless I use it in the O2 amp which I find less resolving an amp than my current rig so that's not an option.  Using my phone as a USB transport limits me to self powered DACs.

May 22, 2012 at 5:30 AM Post #6,068 of 13,503
When discussing the DX100's color are you talking about a slight bit of warmth to the sound which to me adds a bit of musicality to the presentation?  Good for when using the DT1350, not so good when using the HD25-1 and also good for my Weston 4r.  If that is the case then I can agree with the DX100 being slightly colored.  The DX100 color plus the much more colored SR-71B does not go together well in my opinion and is the reason why this combo does not work for me.  I am hoping the Mk3 will be much less colored in combo with the DX100 when balanced.

May 22, 2012 at 5:44 AM Post #6,069 of 13,503
Quote:
When discussing the DX100's color are you talking about a slight bit of warmth to the sound which to me adds a bit of musicality to the presentation?  Good for when using the DT1350, not so good when using the HD25-1 and also good for my Weston 4r.  If that is the case then I can agree with the DX100 being slightly colored.  The DX100 color plus the much more colored SR-71B does not go together well in my opinion and is the reason why this combo does not work for me.  I am hoping the Mk3 will be much less colored in combo with the DX100 when balanced.

Spot on, exactly (as for the slight color). I find my DX100 excels  with HD598 and the Bey1350. The HD25-1 is something of a mystery, as I can' t put my mind if I like it or hate it!

I have to test the DX100 with the TTVJslim, just to see how the sound will be.

May 22, 2012 at 6:11 AM Post #6,070 of 13,503
Interesting. I felt the DX100 + L3 wasn't quite as good as the HP-P1 + L3. I think the DX100 was a big stronger in the bass. I suspect it is the differences in output stage (ie: how the electronics of both devices interact rather than any not being "neutral" as such) as I've noticed a similar thing with my full-size DACs and slight variances in how strong the bass is with them, even though they were all designed to be as close to dead neutral as possible.

May 22, 2012 at 6:15 AM Post #6,071 of 13,503
Quote:
Interesting. I felt the DX100 + L3 wasn't quite as good as the HP-P1 + L3. I think the DX100 was a big stronger in the bass. I suspect it is the differences in output stage (ie: how the electronics of both devices interact rather than any not being "neutral" as such) as I've noticed a similar thing with my full-size DACs and slight variances in how strong the bass is with them, even though they were all designed to be as close to dead neutral as possible.

As in impedance matching with headphones; I can't help but think that impedance matching between certain components also comes into play in combinations such as you are describing, synergy is key with any setup.

May 22, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #6,072 of 13,503
Quote:

I beg to disagree. I find the DX100 + L3 a wonderful combination, however, I never run the L3 off batteries and have always used the Firestone Audio Supplier. Today I received the first LLP specifically for the L3, a sample unit, initial listening thoughts are that the grip and control in the bass is even better than before. Having said that, I have never heard the HP-P1 and comparisons is with the Violectric V200. 

I think the confusion in the EQ settings of the DX100 is also a big problem area that needs rectifying. I have tried both supposedly flat EQ and the setting with the EQ on, 8 dots lit up, to my ears is definitely correct and there is no bass emphasis whatsoever. With the EQ flat as recommended by iBasso, I found the sonic signature to be trashy, very harsh and with bass somewhat overblown. 

May 22, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #6,073 of 13,503
Quote:

My iriver "desktop" rig is very similar to the one pictured and I agree too big to haul around.  However my H160 / D12 combo works fine for my portable applications.  There's no doubt the DX100 can blow this open if the sound quality is on par with those systems and the software issues are resolved.  So far the DX100 seems to have the longest list of identified glitches I've seen for a product that's only been out there for a week. 

Have you heard of the Notion ink Adam LOL

May 22, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #6,074 of 13,503
Ron alerted me to the fact that he is liking WAV better than anything FLAC, and I would have to agree. With the resolving power of the DX100, the WAV fleshes out the sound better, to my ear, in all areas. Too bad I have almost 1tb in FLAC. I am now redoing my favorite CD's in WAV. Having access to 64gb micro cards is a big help and makes it easy to compile a new library of WAV files. 

May 22, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #6,075 of 13,503
I'm at a loss here. I thought lossless meant no information is lost. How can one form of lossless differ from another form of lossless. Shouldn't all the 1's and 0's be identical?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back