I need a <10" Subwoofer, any recommendation?
Jan 23, 2005 at 5:26 AM Post #47 of 52
Score a deal on a proaudio amp off of ebay? No xover though.

Otherwise, apexjr.com has dirt cheap amps you can use if you're really broke.

Jan 23, 2005 at 5:37 AM Post #48 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
Otherwise, apexjr.com has dirt cheap amps you can use if you're really broke.

Thanks ! That's where I got my "AudioFile" =) sub amp, complete with volume, phase - and remote control.
eek.gif

I like its sound quality (or whatever I can hear at that frequency) and wondered about other cheaper options. Looks like I'm already cheap enough.
icon10.gif

Edit : what a coincidence - I just browsed and noticed there's a feedback for Steve on AudioFile amp from user of similar 10 inch Peerless CC line #831727. Btw that amp's been staying in his lineup for a long time.

Jan 25, 2005 at 7:04 AM Post #49 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by ServinginEcuador
UncleWai,

Does your sub have an adjustable phase potentiometer on it? If so, try switching things around the get the phase to correspond to your other speakers. This will act as a delay to the incoming signal, causing an effect like you're hearing. If it doesn't, replace it with one that does! Not having a phase pot makes for difficult incorporation into your system.

swapping the speaker cables if you're using high-level input will do the same trick. Having 180 phaseshift switch is convenient though.

Feb 4, 2005 at 2:37 AM Post #50 of 52
Finally the Shiva arrived. Before school, I did a quick hack job and forced the Shiva to fit into the MTX enclosure.
It actually work quite decent. The bass is so much cleaner and boominess is nonexistence with this subwoofer.

The response is a little slow though still, may be the previous owner didn't use the woofer and it's still in it's burn-in period.
Now my question is, how much influence does the subwoofer amp plays?
This is just a temporarily solution, hopefully when I get some more fund, I can DIY a enclosure and get a decent amp for it.

Feb 4, 2005 at 5:03 AM Post #51 of 52
Considering the shiva's spider isn't all that stiff, im guessing you've got a small midbass problem. But maybe I'm wrong, give it a little while.

Feb 4, 2005 at 5:26 AM Post #52 of 52
Blending it really is the hardest thing to do. Having the sub turned up too high will make it sound like the bass is slow, IMO. If you don't want to buy an spl meter to match your system, you'll really just have to keep playing it by ear. It's phenominally hard to get it perfect. Experiment with crossing lower and turning the sub down.

Oh, if your mtx box is ported, things could really be messed up, so if it is, don't sweat it until after your new box. My above paragraph still stands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back