I need a <10" Subwoofer, any recommendation?
Jan 21, 2005 at 5:57 AM Post #31 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
You can get a big bass hump out of that sub but not deep bass. Unless you're using some crazy tech like bagend or sunfire, which reportedly don't sound that great anyway.

Just powered subs in the bottoms of my towers. I EQ'ed out the high bass hump, and they shake pretty hard down low (around 40hz i think). Rattles the pictures and glass shelves at home great in movies, but for rap music tastes, the bass just doesn't cut it. LUCKILY I hate rap. The idea was to get the matched 12" sub from Polk, too, but I stargin buying headphones, instead
280smile.gif

edit: i do have the LFE channel at +10dB relative, so the bass stands out more than it would at an even power.

Jan 21, 2005 at 6:29 AM Post #32 of 52
40hz...hmm...that's typical of a 6-8" woofer, but I don't consider that really sub territory. Should get down to the low 30's at least. Really, a GOOD 12" implementation seems preferable for a sub that you can probably live with for many many years to come. Rap's got a lot of midbass, not all that much low bass because the average rap listener doesn't have a sub capable of sub 40hz sound.

Jan 21, 2005 at 9:31 AM Post #33 of 52
Your budget is awfully low for a good sub, but if you want true deep bass, then you're going to have to get either a 10 or 12 incher. Also, there are plenty of 12" subs that don't sound sluggish in the least, but they do cost a little more. Since you're using yours mainly for music, then yeah, you don't need a huge beast that'll play to 16hz, but here are some good subs in the 10-12" range that are fantastic with music, too.

SVS PB10-ISD $430 - Awesome 10" sub with outstanding performance - flat to 22hz, +/- 3db to 18hz, extremely low distortion. Probably my number one recommendation for <12" subs.

Hsu STF-2 $400 - Best bang for the buck in the 10" range (though the PB10 is only $30 more). Another outstanding performer, +/- 2db to 25hz with extremely low distortion, a little smaller and lighter than the PB10, which may help depending on the size of your room and positioning options.

SVS PB12-ISD $599 - Bigger and older brother to the PB10, it's an impressive performer - I actually get to enjoy this one on a regular basis as my brother owns it (and I live with him). It's an incredible performer with either music or movies, but truth be told it's just not that great a deal when compared to the PB10, which offers similar (if not better) performance in a smaller and significantly less expensive package.

Jan 21, 2005 at 10:48 AM Post #34 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nak Man
Why is that so ? From Adire's site, Shiva is put under 'mobile audio' category and its Rava home sub uses same Shiva driver. edit : Did you mean just the 8 inch Koda or car audio subs in general ?

I was referring to the 8 inch Koda, though in general car subs are less appropriate for home use because they're optimized for different parameters. You don't need to go low with a car sub because you have a large amount of cabin gain. Still, there are many car audio drivers that work very well in the home. The Shiva is one such driver.

Quote:

Apart from 'free air drivers' I believe most car audio subs will serve real well for home use. My diy single Focal 13" car audio sub sounds much more musical than similarly old Velodyne 1215. This is not for heavy pounding music or HT effects, but for regular music.

Well, if it sounds good it is good. It seems like you're saying that the sub does not go all that deep (but is musical). That would be pretty common behavior with car audio subs when used in the home. Drivers meant for car audio use tend not to go low because they can depend on cabin gain. But there are always exceptions and a lot of it depends on your box tuning.

If I was doing a DIY subwoofer from scratch, I would pick a home audio driver though, no question.

Jan 21, 2005 at 12:03 PM Post #35 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
It seems like you're saying that the sub does not go all that deep (but is musical). That would be pretty common behavior with car audio subs when used in the home.

Actually for the Focal it went down lower than Velo 1215 - maybe that wasn't a fair comparison since Velodyne used was an old model and that Focal is just awesome (used in sealed box with off the shelf sub amp). Btw I noticed recent audiom / focal woofers used similar 'flower' magnet arrangement drivers initially used on its car audio line.

The Boston pro and a/d/s drivers kind of surprised me since they weren't real popular 'choice' on car audio subs yet they give good output below 30hz without sounding as one note sub - much better than other popular brand like JL, kicker etc at the same price. These are housed on regular ported box with active xo and adcom amp. Wish I can try Hsu or REL subs for home use as a comparison.

Jan 21, 2005 at 3:32 PM Post #36 of 52
JL's a one note sub? Maybe bandpassed, but i've seen and heard a few sq cars with ported w7's. All in the install.

And yes, koda 8 is a midbass. Here's the great 8 challenge results:
http://forum.soundillusions.net/showthread.php?t=45731

and its hard to contain some Adire's diy drivers to home/car/etc. Koda 8 could be used in horns, car midbass, some casses in pairs for car bass. I'm not saying a brahma is for home audio, but i've seen dan wiggins suggest using the new extremis 6.8 in car.

Jan 21, 2005 at 5:56 PM Post #37 of 52
Oh, ok, the ones I tried were older IB4, W1, W4 and W5 (? gold sticker). Sound far less musical compared to a/d/s A12s, boston 12.4 or even the lowly naks - at least on regular sealed box (except the ib4). Already 'retired' from that area before hearing W7. =)

Edit - Btw thanks for the link to interesting forum ! Seems like 8 incher w7 went straight into average rank in terms of SQ. Sorry for getting more OT, but what do you think the most musical sub from car audio selection ?

Jan 22, 2005 at 12:48 AM Post #38 of 52
I'll throw my hat in the ring for the older Velodyne "F" series. The F-1000 is a very tight, tuneful sub that goes for ~ $400 on Audiogon. The servo-feedback makes it very musical and the flexible crossover should allow for a good match with most satellite/bookshelf speakers. I used mine with a pair of KEF Reference 102/2s.

Jan 22, 2005 at 5:07 AM Post #39 of 52
Sorry couldn't help noticing - was that really your first post after 1 year ? =) Anyway, thanks for your comment ! I also use my lowly 1215 to complement kef 104.2 (unecessarily =) for HT. Heard a servo velodyne 10" demo .. and if I have that I wouldn't even think of using plain vanilla sub, ever. Great stuff.
basshead.gif

Jan 22, 2005 at 9:56 PM Post #42 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nak Man
Sorry couldn't help noticing - was that really your first post after 1 year ? =) Anyway, thanks for your comment ! I also use my lowly 1215 to complement kef 104.2 (unecessarily =) for HT. Heard a servo velodyne 10" demo .. and if I have that I wouldn't even think of using plain vanilla sub, ever. Great stuff.
basshead.gif

Yeah, how's that for a serious case of lurking?
smily_headphones1.gif
Love the forums, though. Lots of interesting stuff.

Jan 22, 2005 at 10:03 PM Post #43 of 52
Quote:

Now, a good diy sub for under $200 can be doable:

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/v...=140742#140742

Wow $50 ... what a great place to hang out !
icon10.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unclewai
Is it possible to replace this MTX subwoofer with this Shiva subwoofer, I am assuming the Shiva subwoofer is superior?
They are both 12".

Usually drop-in replacement like this won't give optimum solution, you'd need to check box size etc with respective Shiva parameters. However, at that price I'd grab them first and worry later, you could always build a simple sealed box if it sounds unbearable inside mtx box.

Jan 22, 2005 at 10:12 PM Post #44 of 52
Run some sub sims. You can get what you need here: http://www.pvconsultants.com/audio/frdgroup.htm

Plug in the Shiva specs if they aren't in the database.

I doubt it will work in the MTX box, but if the MTX amp is ok, you may be able to salvage it in a pinch. Be better to return that MTX though.

Jan 23, 2005 at 3:25 AM Post #45 of 52
Quote:

but if the MTX amp is ok, you may be able to salvage it in a pinch. Be better to return that MTX though.

Yeah, and get $100 sub amp to go with that shiva.

Ooheadsoo, what do you consider best bang for the buck sub amp over there ? Any good class D amp that's seriously below $100 ? I thought those would be priced much lower than regular amp - but Adire seems to want more $$$ for their D amp version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back