I need a <10" Subwoofer, any recommendation?
Jan 16, 2005 at 5:09 PM Post #16 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
You're not going to find a good subwoofer smaller than 10". They just don't exist, due to the laws of physics.

Interesting claim. I have 2x 6.5" subs, and believe the presentation is all about cabinet design.

Jan 16, 2005 at 5:31 PM Post #17 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by UserNotFound
Interesting claim. I have 2x 6.5" subs, and believe the presentation is all about cabinet design.

You can get a big bass hump out of that sub but not deep bass. Unless you're using some crazy tech like bagend or sunfire, which reportedly don't sound that great anyway.

Jan 16, 2005 at 8:15 PM Post #18 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by UserNotFound

Cabinet design (or equalization) does not alter the ultimate volume of air being displaced.

A 2 x 6.5" sub will have roughly the same maximum SPL as a single 8" sub, but with poorer transient response if the enclosure is tuned to the same cut off frequency.

Jan 18, 2005 at 2:25 AM Post #19 of 52
Hi ServinginEcuador, that's a great avatar, cracked me up.
I don't think there's phase potentiometer on this thing. There's only a polarity switch which I don't really quite understand the actual effect is.
The effect feels different with different songs being played.
I guess my budget is too low to be asking for too much out of a Subwoofer.

I re-arranged my room and actually find enough room to sit the subwoofer and the side of my desk. And after using it for a few days, the response is actually quite decent. The bass doesn't go too deep, but I am not complaining.
I think I will keep it as a temporarily solution. I will still keep an eye on the STF-2, I will probably get it if there's a good deal comes up.
Thanks everyone

Jan 18, 2005 at 3:48 AM Post #20 of 52
It's the hsu stf-2.

Jan 18, 2005 at 3:57 AM Post #22 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
It's the hsu stf-2.

OH yea, what was I thinking all along
redface.gif

A lot of homework messed me up good.

Jan 18, 2005 at 4:06 AM Post #23 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
BYOSW

Build Your Own Subwoofer...

http://www.adireaudio.com/TextPages/...eFrameText.htm

more here...
www.adireaudio.com

A fine idea but not realistic for under $200 if he wants a decent amp + shipping on the driver and amp.

Oh, I would never go with an 8" midbass driver for a subwoofer either. They even call it a midbass driver on the website to help you out
biggrin.gif

Jan 18, 2005 at 4:11 AM Post #24 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
A fine idea but not realistic for under $200 if he wants a decent amp + shipping on the driver and amp.

Oh, I would never go with an 8" midbass driver for a subwoofer either. They even call it a midbass driver on the website to help you out
biggrin.gif

quite doable....DIY amp + DIY sound box...

the driver is only $80.00

Jan 18, 2005 at 4:40 AM Post #25 of 52
First, I wouldn't go for the 8" midbass driver. I guess you could do that if you wanted to, but I wouldn't even dream of it. It could be the best 8" driver in the world for $80 and I still wouldn't use it. But that depends on your demands I guess. The adire supplied graphs are very fishy, btw. Their sealed alignment shows extension down to 10hz. Right. The ported rolls off around 60hz. No doubt the numbers for the parameters are correct though.

The box after glue, screws, tax, etc will come out to around $45. MDF usually comes in a big slab costing between $25-35. Odd bits and ends...glue is expensive too, maybe $7-10. Then tax. Oh, if he needs homedepot or whoever to cut for him, he'll probably get charged a buck or two as well. He also needs power tools. Clamps would help but you can do it with screws, so comabereni tells me. The shipping on the driver will be about $15-20. That leave around $55 for a diy amp. What diy amp would you recommend?

If you like Indian drivers, how about the GR-Research drivers? I'm pretty sure they're all indian and they perform very well. I use the m130 in my speakers. I'm planning on ordering the sub from GR this week or next. Won't be under $200 for the whole kit and kaboodle though.

Jan 18, 2005 at 6:07 AM Post #26 of 52
The Adire Koda that GSferrari suggested is a car audio subwoofer. It is not appropriate for home audio use. The Adire graphs look the way they do because they include substantial cabin gain. As ooheadsoo points out, an 8 inch midbass is not going to work well as a home subwoofer.

Still, DIY is a good idea. You can pick up an Adire DPL12 for $150 and put it in a sealed box and end up with a really nice subwoofer with an f3 of 28Hz. Essentially flat to 20Hz in any real room with a bit of room gain. If you can't build a box, do a search for Sonotube subwoofers. Basically you just buy a tube, put on circular end caps which you can buy at Home Depot, and mount a driver. You still need either a router or a jig saw though. If you need to use the sonotube standing up, you'll need a driver that can be mounted down-firing like the Adire Shiva. In general your f3 will be slightly higher.

Jan 18, 2005 at 6:12 AM Post #27 of 52
Absolutely. Guru's idea of diy = great idea. DIY for <$200 = not going to happen with good results.

Cabin gain won't make an 8" sealed sub play 10hz like that graph shows...Not with good sound quality, at least. Funny how the ported version drops off at 60hz.

Jan 19, 2005 at 3:59 AM Post #28 of 52
I have an Axiom 8" powered sub and think it sounds good. Designed to compliment the very popular Axiom line of speakers, and they are very reasonably priced. I used mine with a Tivoli Model 2 in my office and found that the bass carries too much to other offices so I'm probably going to sell it. I bought it new from an Audiogon seller for under $200 so you could look there or PM me if you might be interested in mine. It won't shake the walls like the gozillion watt 15" subs out there but fills the bottom nicely.

Jan 20, 2005 at 5:46 PM Post #30 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
The Adire Koda that GSferrari suggested is a car audio subwoofer. It is not appropriate for home audio use.

Why is that so ? From Adire's site, Shiva is put under 'mobile audio' category and its Rava home sub uses same Shiva driver. edit : Did you mean just the 8 inch Koda or car audio subs in general ?

Apart from 'free air drivers' I believe most car audio subs will serve real well for home use. My diy single Focal 13" car audio sub sounds much more musical than similarly old Velodyne 1215. This is not for heavy pounding music or HT effects, but for regular music. I've also found satisfactory results using Boston Pro (12.4), 10" Nak and a/d/s subs. Just leave those JLs for the road though, they're more like one note sub.
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back