I have my hands ON the Sony X1000 Walkman - Impressions / Discussions
May 31, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #736 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tstarn06-
Wow, way to basically say Neeley must not be hearing things correctly even though he just gave direct observations. No Koolaid being drunk there, and no need to rain on his parade since you're not planning to buy it anyway.

As a point of reference, I was just doing some back to back comparing of my Sony A829 to my iPhone 3G, and was just thinking that the warmth and soundstage of the A829 did the same thing to the iPhone that Neeley described, and that's not even taking into account the already known additional bump in SQ when you step up to the X1000.

Of course, you'd see it that way. I have a Sony too, the A818, and it sound nice enough. But to say it blows away the Touch 2G is nonsense. Sure it doesn't deliver the other-wordly sound that the Sony X1000 does, but it's hardly trash either. And plenty of Kool-Aid being passed around. What's wrong with Kool-Aid?

You are right though, I won't be overpaying for a Sony DAP with a crippled Web interface. When they release a Music player without the "me too" Touch features, might be worth a listen to hear all these wonderful SQ features. Doubtful every new Sony DAP is going to have the web/touchscreen. But we'll see.

As someone pointed out, Neeley's phones were not the best match for portables. So that was probably the issue (though of course they work with the X1000). Not raining on his parade, not at all. But his comment, to me, was completely out of whack.

May 31, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #737 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatepopupads /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Every dap that I've owned or have sounds a little "flat" and boring compared to the X with the exception of the hiss-fest kenwood media gig I had. It sounds very close to the touched amped with the mustang, better on the warmth though. I can see how the touch's sound would seem inferior to the X and somewhat boring, even thought the touch has great specs. Resolution and detail the X eats the touch up, the touch sounds "digital" compared to the sony.

Having loved the touch's sound I really couldn't go back unless it was amped through the LO. The only place where I think ( well I know
biggrin.gif
)the touch beats the X is a wider soundstage. The X is just so musical , dynamic and engaging.

I'm gushing I know, but I'm really happy to have such high quality sound in such a small package without an external amp. Just don't buy it thinking your getting a PDA type device like the touch, cause like many have said the browser and picture viewer are miles behind the touch. Youtube is nice though.

Oh, and Neely that was a great little review, glad you're happy with it. I really enjoyed the pics. I was going to take some, but my nice canon "somehow" got left in my son's friend's car and now he's in Pennsylvania so that's where my camera is at the moment
mad.gif
Omg I'm such a dolt, how in the sam he** did I end up quoteing myself?

May 31, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #738 of 3,761
Quote:

Every dap that I've owned or have sounds a little "flat" and boring compared to the X with the exception of the hiss-fest kenwood media gig I had. It sounds very close to the touched amped with the mustang, better on the warmth though. I can see how the touch's sound would seem inferior to the X and somewhat boring, even thought the touch has great specs. Resolution and detail the X eats the touch up, the touch sounds "digital" compared to the sony.

Having loved the touch's sound I really couldn't go back unless it was amped through the LO. The only place where I think ( well I know
biggrin.gif
)the touch beats the X is a wider soundstage. The X is just so musical , dynamic and engaging.

I'm gushing I know, but I'm really happy to have such high quality sound in such a small package without an external amp. Just don't buy it thinking your getting a PDA type device like the touch, cause like many have said the browser and picture viewer are miles behind the touch. Youtube is nice though.

Hey, I notice that same 'digital' effect with the iPhone 3G after listening on even the A829. Perfect way to describe it. I'd say 'processed' too. I heard a soundstage on par with the iPhone though, but that's with the Ultrasone HFI 780's. They're very, very revealing of subtle differences in source and I feel like I can more easily pick out the ways that each is unique. I hope I can hear even bigger differences when I get the X. The 780's are very easy to drive, so I'm looking forward to running them straight out of the new Sony.

Oh hey, and try to keep that 'gushing' in check would ya???
biggrin.gif

May 31, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #739 of 3,761
Quote:

biggrin.gif

See, it doesn't take much to deliver a balanced, thoughtful comparison. That's much more helpful to those who are considering the pros and cons of buying the Sony when it goes on sale here. Me, I'll wait for a Sony DAP with the digital amp but no internet/touchscreen. That would be more to my needs, since, as Ihatepopupads notes, the X1000 is not a multi-function machine.

May 31, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #740 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course, you'd see it that way. I have a Sony too, the A818, and it sound nice enough. But to say it blows away the Touch 2G is nonsense. Sure it doesn't deliver the other-wordly sound that the Sony X1000 does, but it's hardly trash either. And plenty of Kool-Aid being passed around. What's wrong with Kool-Aid?

You are right though, I won't be overpaying for a Sony DAP with a crippled Web interface. When they release a Music player without the "me too" Touch features, might be worth a listen to hear all these wonderful SQ features. Doubtful every new Sony DAP is going to have the web/touchscreen. But we'll see.

As someone pointed out, Neeley's phones were not the best match for portables. So that was probably the issue (though of course they work with the X1000). Not raining on his parade, not at all. But his comment, to me, was completely out of whack.

Okay, but it's been well documented that the 818 doesn't have the same SQ as even the NWZ-A829/729 series, and then the X1000 is a jump up from there, so is it so hard to believe that Neeley may have actually 'heard' a significant difference to the Touch 2G? Personally I’d say that my A829 does ‘blow away’ the iPhone. And I’ve used ‘phones that are perfectly suited to both.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
See, it doesn't take much to deliver a balanced, thoughtful comparison. That's much more helpful to those who are considering the pros and cons of buying the Sony when it goes on sale here. Me, I'll wait for a Sony DAP with the digital amp but no internet/touchscreen. That would be more to my needs, since, as Ihatepopupads notes, the X1000 is not a multi-function machine.

Sure, a more well balanced review is not that hard... but, Ihatepopupads has basically come to the same conclusion about the SQ of the Touch / X1000 here. So what's your point? Howcome you don't grill him as to the feasibility of his conclusion?

May 31, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #741 of 3,761
Guys lets not get caught up in this sillyness. Neelys comments are as valid as anyone's. If it sounds that way to him- so be it! Lets not get into the pettyness of defending our own daps (we are bigger than that). Especially with a new member who contributes a nice mini-review (especially with pics
biggrin.gif
), it just makes this place better! Gosh, who knows TS, you might feel the same if you listened to one.
beerchug.gif

May 31, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #742 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, I notice that same 'digital' effect with the iPhone 3G after listening on even the A829. Perfect way to describe it. I'd say 'processed' too. I heard a soundstage on par with the iPhone though, but that's with the Ultrasone HFI 780's. They're very, very revealing of subtle differences in source and I feel like I can more easily pick out the ways that each is unique. I hope I can hear even bigger differences when I get the X. The 780's are very easy to drive, so I'm looking forward to running them straight out of the new Sony.

Oh hey, and try to keep that 'gushing' in check would ya???
biggrin.gif

I have the Hfi 780's, but my brother is "using" them right now. Can't wait to hear them with it. The X is very revealing, so with the 780's
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
It makes the PFE sing, and usually you need an amp to do that- I have to try my senn hd595 as I have them on hand. I have just been so pleased with the X/PFE combo I haven't wanted to try anything else.

May 31, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #743 of 3,761
Well, This is my take. i owned a a lot of daps, MD's and tape walkmans. I had a rio Karma, Zen M, Ipod touch, Ipod video, Zune 30,80 and 120, Archos,10 gb, Zen Classic, Sony MD R1, Aiwa MD, Sharp MD and hopefully the X-1000 later this week. The Dap's came along way from sounding okay to Great. I feel that the Ipod's are great if you want to email, web browsing, Apps and watch videos. I think the ipod SQ is the last thing that's on the majority people's mine. I currently own the Zune 120 and love the SQ and I just used this for Music. So I know the Sony has Great SQ and I don't need the extras that's what my G1 Phone is for with their apps. I needed a touchscreen with buttons. So if you enjoy ur Dap then that's all it counts.

May 31, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #744 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by SquirtyFlower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all, after reading my way through here right from page one, I purchased the X1060 which arrived last Tuesday. I'm full of praise for the Sony, so won't repeat many of the posts saying how good it is. I would like to ask if anyone is having trouble with the You Tube functionality.

Hry SquirtyFlower, welcome to Head-Fi
smile_phones.gif

I can't help you with the youtube thingy, I just wanted to say that between you and Bloodflowerz, it's getting quite floral around here
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neeley /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tongue_smile.gif

Oh dear, I didn't mean to upset anyone with my comments about the touch. Apologies if you feel offended.

Hi Neil, don't worry, most of us round here don't get offended and don't take these things to heart at all. I've had almost all my earphone choices trashed at some point, along with most of my daps, and I couldn't care less. Bring it on
smile_phones.gif

Anyway, I've had my X for almost 3 weeks now, so the honeymoon period is over, and I'm still loving it. Today I went back to the Touch for an hour and until my ears adjusted to the sound signature - it sounded dull and boring in comparison. Even after my ears adjusted, I was acutely aware that it lacked the detail and clarity of the X. The X was 'supposed' to sound different due to the s-master digital amp, and it does, in a very positive way.

Maybe the new Touch will make the X sound like poop, who knows? But for now, the X is much more lively and vibrant sounding than the Touch 2G (and I've liked the Touch for almost a year!). It's more fun to listen to. The Touch sounds like it's fully clothed, and the Sony sounds stark naked, that's how I interpret the differences
atsmile.gif

tstarn06-
I think all impressions should be posted, positive and negative, regardless of how the poster chooses to word those opinions. And once you hear something you prefer, it's natural that whatever you're comparing it with will sound poorer.

You used to be very fond of your Atrios if I remember, but your observations about them were much less positive once you moved on to better things. I'm sure if you compared them with the W3 right now, you'd have plenty of unflattering things to say about the Atrios that weren't evident before you'd heard the W3, or the Turbines, or the X10 etc.

Same with my C700's. I loved them 2 years ago, but I could never listen to them again because I've heard better.

EDIT: This wasn't about earphones, I was just trying to explain how things we loved a while ago can sound like turds against something better.

May 31, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #745 of 3,761
just ordered a X1060 from amazon can't wait to get it, also ordered screen protector stuff.

recording from bravia tvs sounds interesting..as I got a bravia
biggrin.gif

May 31, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #746 of 3,761
Hi,i understood every thing(& have read others posts in detail,and been on other forums were this as been dicusse in great detail),read the DSR & don't just pick & choose whar suits me.I don't have a shop,but i like to know were i stand.
Theres stipulations in the DSR ie what you could expect when buying from a highstreet shop etc.
Any way looks like gangs out
o2smile.gif
,so we will just beg to differ.End of it
duggehsmile.png
Would have been nice to have at least some facts/info in the response,i,m prepared to learnthats one positive you do get when your wrong.
Hope i havn't spelt anything wrong etc
o2smile.gif

Cheers BOB

May 31, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #748 of 3,761
Quote:

I have the Hfi 780's, but my brother is "using" them right now. Can't wait to hear them with it. The X is very revealing, so with the 780's
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
It makes the PFE sing, and usually you need an amp to do that- I have to try my senn hd595 as I have them on hand. I have just been so pleased with the X/PFE combo I haven't wanted to try anything else.

When did you get your 780's? Do you like them?? If we lived in the same area, we could demo them right now, but I'm without the X, and you're missing the 780's currently. I guess we'll both get to hear the combo around the same time if all works out. Heh.

Cool to hear about the X and the PFE's. Nice to know there's finally a DAP that can drive them properly without an amp.

May 31, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #750 of 3,761
Let alone sonic judgements (you guys have made me curious and I definitely have to hear one), I agree with Tstarn at least on one thing: I don't want a sluggish touch interface that's a mere shadow of the iPod Touch. I would be more interested in a model sporting the same sound signature, dac/amp hardware in a different package, meaning that either the browsing function is improved, or it's totally missing and I don't have to pay for it. I think DAP's don't necessarily have to offer touch function to be easy to use and offer a good interface. If I have to pay for OLED, wireless and other stuff then I want to be able to watch movies at high quality (for a portable), and have a great internet experience. Otherwise, lesser screens, no wifi support and a lower price tag for the same sonic characteristics would do much better for me.
After all, why are OLED on this device? Would one have to pay Sony just to see high definition album art? :s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back