I have my hands ON the Sony X1000 Walkman - Impressions / Discussions
May 31, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #751 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatepopupads /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys lets not get caught up in this sillyness. Neelys comments are as valid as anyone's. If it sounds that way to him- so be it! Lets not get into the pettyness of defending our own daps (we are bigger than that). Especially with a new member who contributes a nice mini-review (especially with pics
biggrin.gif
), it just makes this place better! Gosh, who knows TS, you might feel the same if you listened to one.
beerchug.gif

I totally agree with you. This is a discussions and impressions thread, so all comments about the X sq are welcome, and no one should be criticised for it. Oh, and I'm going to get the 780's on loan in a few weeks so I can hear them too. I hope they're not too big, my head may be small, but my brain is HUGE...
regular_smile .gif

May 31, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #752 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After all, why are OLED on this device? Would one have to pay Sony just to see high definition album art? :s

I think better battery life is one of the bonuses, but I'm not sure. And right from the start of this thread, it was pointed out that the browser is crap, and it really is. I wouldn't recommend that anyone bought the X if they were looking for a fun browsing experience. By the time you've inputted some text, it's time for a hair cut.

May 31, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #753 of 3,761
I think actually OLED are more battery life consuming, they just look good. I could be wrong, but I think the DAP is so thick because it needs a bigger battery to show decent battery life, not because of its audio circuitry.

May 31, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #754 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When did you get your 780's? Do you like them?? If we lived in the same area, we could demo the combo right now, but I'm without the X, and you're missing the 780's currently. I guess we'll both get to hear the combo around the same time if all works out. Heh.

Cool to hear about the X and the PFE's. Nice to know there's finally a DAP that can drive them properly without an amp.

Lol double post. I got them about a year ago I think? Amazon, and yes they sound amazing. I just don't use full size cans that much, I forget I even have them. My brother has had them for a LONG time
icon10.gif

May 31, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #755 of 3,761
Quote:

After all, why are OLED on this device? Would one have to pay Sony just to see high definition album art? :s

Unfortanately that is where the market is heading. If Sony didn't have OLED or WiFi in this, would newspapers like The Guardian, The Times etc. made a passing note about it? Hardly.

The X-series isn't a service to the audiophile community - it is to get people talking about the Walkman brand again and try to gain back some of the marketshare Sony has lost to other brands due to years of mismanagement. Already most mainstream reviews I have read only touched on the subject of its other features and hardly (if any) about the sound quality. People do not give a hoot about SQ any longer. Instead they want OLED, WiFi, YouTube and stuff, and if Sony doesn't give them that people will chastised them for it. Humans will always find something to complain about.

The SQ on this is great and the discounted price in Amazon only makes the whole deal sweeter (for everyone else, I paid the full price at John Lewis, the sucker I am...).

As for OLED, this display technology is the future and may eventually replace LCD tellies in our living rooms. Having more devices with OLED will drive the cost down due to mass production, in addition to increasing awareness of the technology. Besides OLED brings some benefits including less power consumption and thinner profile (no backlit component).

May 31, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #756 of 3,761
Quote:

Let alone sonic judgements (you guys have made me curious and I definitely have to hear one), I agree with Tstarn at least on one thing: I don't want a sluggish touch interface that's a mere shadow of the iPod Touch. I would be more interested in a model sporting the same sound signature, dac/amp hardware in a different package, meaning that either the browsing function is improved, or it's totally missing and I don't have to pay for it. I think DAP's don't necessarily have to offer touch function to be easy to use and offer a good interface. If I have to pay for OLED, wireless and other stuff then I want to be able to watch movies at high quality (for a portable), and have a great internet experience. Otherwise, lesser screens, no wifi support and a lower price tag for the same sonic characteristics would do much better for me.

Browser sucks, but the interface is as quick and responsive as the touch. It's just the typical sony icon menu. I like it though, and album art and movies look awesome. I watched the whole new star trek movie on it with no strain or problems.

May 31, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #757 of 3,761
Quote:

I think actually OLED are more battery life consuming, they just look good. I could be wrong, but I think the DAP is so thick because it needs a bigger battery to show decent battery life, not because of its audio circuitry.

It's so thick because it has lots of magic in it
biggrin.gif

Actually, the battery life is really good. I've had it running for 24 hours (I left it playing when it wasn't in use), and I still have one bar left.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Me, I'll wait for a Sony DAP with the digital amp but no internet/touchscreen. That would be more to my needs, since, as Ihatepopupads notes, the X1000 is not a multi-function machine.

That's true, and it was pointed out very early in the thread. It's not news now.

May 31, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #758 of 3,761
Are we sure about the lesser power consumption? My understanding was the opposite, but I don't really know any references where I can check.

May 31, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #760 of 3,761
Quote:

OLED, in theory, uses less power because the pixels emits light when there is power thus negating the need for power hungry backlit components. In normal LCDs, energy is also wasted because of the requirement of filters to blocking out 50% of the light generated by the backlit.

May 31, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #761 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by spuddler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,i understood every thing(& have read others posts in detail,and been on other forums were this as been dicusse in great detail),read the DSR & don't just pick & choose whar suits me.I don't have a shop,but i like to know were i stand.

Don't accuse me of picking and choosing what suits me. I didn't write the DSR's, I just quoted them. I'm trying to help other potential UK buyers know their rights, and all your posts so far keep talking about seller's rights, or judges and courts!! It's not related so can you please stop posting about it?

If you still don't know where you stand having been on other forums and read other posts in detail, then that's not my problem. The rules are there, how you pursue them is up to you.
[size=medium]
CHEERS ME[/size]

Jun 1, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #762 of 3,761
Ihatepopupads, Walkingman,

Thanks for the clarification. Looks like I had got it the wrong way. So there actually is a reason in order to want OLED in such a tiny player!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Tony

Jun 1, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #763 of 3,761
Quote:

Ihatepopupads, Walkingman,

Thanks for the clarification. Looks like I had got it the wrong way. So there actually is a reason in order to want OLED in such a tiny player!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Tony

Yes plus a very wide viewing angle and better colour saturation and refresh rate. The blacks are really black on the OLED. The new zune HD uses one, and I'm sure the new iphone/touch will sport one. Really cool tech, can't wait till OLED becomes affordable on a bigger screen.

Jun 1, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #764 of 3,761
Hi,you have to look at the overall picture,whether it be the seller ,buyer or whats going to happen if theres a dispute.You have to look at the grey areas & the small print(& if theres prob a lot more in the actual legal documents,than you or me think,TS,Consumer rights is just the basic's).
I'm like you post useful info,most peeps post useful info(not many posts on this forum,can't see why that is relevant thou),as factual as i can be,i actually love to find info when i'm wrong.Seen it with GFX cards etc etc,with DSR.
You quoted the DSR's regs,(bit of a attack on me maybe,but no black & white),but look at the grey areas etc.
Look at your prev posts about DSR's,my replies etc.

'That's why it's best to buy online because of the 7-day no quibble returns policy. Retailers can't argue with it, they either have to accept it, or choose not to sell online. The problem is they know that 95% of all consumers don't know their rights so they stick rubbish in the terms and conditions like illegal restocking fees and hope nobody spots it's a load of fluff! Like you noted, high-street stores have different policies, so it's worth checking before you but, you can't change that.'
, don't think i beleive that.,thats cetainly is not exact.The law considers everybodies side,is that fair?
You might be right some times,you might be wrong,i certainly can be.
Anyway with just selling the A829's i had for a couple of weeks,which i liked(ain't got any decent,well supposidly decent IEM's etc
o2smile.gif
,only got my HiFi system & Senn 650's ),iv'e ordered the X1060.Prob get FX500's for the price worth a risk i think,thanks for the feedback/info on this forum/threads,& other forums i have looked at.

Cheers BOB

Jun 1, 2009 at 5:18 AM Post #765 of 3,761
spuddler-
I don't understand why you keep quibbling about this DSR issue. The information in the link soozieq provided is pretty self explanatory. I suggest you read her posts more thoroughly. How about letting people that need to return a product just read it for themselves, stop cluttering this thread with these posts, and let it get back on track to discussing the Sony X1000. I count something like 5 (a full 50% of your total posts) that you've made all rambling around the same issue. Perhaps you should take up any uncertainty you have with those who put DSR law into place instead of fruitlessly arguing it here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back